Author Topic: Arizona " Birther Bill " Passes  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Arizona " Birther Bill " Passes
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »

ARIZONA - 10 Electoral Votes!

If he fails to produce in Arizona, do you think he could carry an election? Actually the poser's world is closing in. Hopefully it won't be to long now.

Without Az he can win.  If this law is accepted before the election it is quite possible a big electoral state will pass a similar law.  That's when the cheese gets binding.

::praying::

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Governor Jan Brewer vetoes Arizona "Birther" bill
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »
Holy sh*t. She also vetoed a bill that would have eliminated gun-free zones on campuses. Damn.

Governor Jan Brewer vetoes Arizona "Birther" bill.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Governor Jan Brewer vetoes Arizona "Birther" bill
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »
Holy sh*t. She also vetoed a bill that would have eliminated gun-free zones on campuses. Damn.

Another one bites the dust...and another one's gone...
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 08:55:34 PM »
Here's her justification:

"As a former Secretary of State (sic), I do not support designating one person as the gatekeeper to the ballot for a candidate, which could lead to artibrary or politically-motivated decisions," Brewer wrote in her veto message to House Speaker Kirk Adams.

"In addition, I never imagined being presented with a bill that could require candidates for President (sic) of the greatest and most powerful nation on earth to submit their "early baptismal or circumcision certificates" among other records to the Arizona Secretary of State. This is a bridge too far," Brewer wrote.

And on the gun Bill:

SB 1467 was vetoed "because it is so poorly written," Brewer said.

"Bills impacting our Second Amendment rights have to be crystal clear so that gun owners don't become lawbreakers by accident," she wrote in her veto message to Senate President Russell Pearce.

The bill didn't define the "public right of way" where weapons could be carried on school campuses, and included K-12 schools where firearms are prohibited by federal law, Brewer wrote.

While the bill was "widely advertised" as applying to colleges and universities, it expressly superceded a law that allows school districts to enforce prohibitions against weapons on school grounds, she wrote.

"While I support the thoughtful expansion of where firearms should be allowed, the actual legislation that does so must be both unambiguous and clear to protect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners. Senate Bill 1467 is neither," Brewer wrote.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
The test of the authenticity of her proclaimed justification will be what she does when the legislature rewrites these bills to address the concerns as she has defined them. I would assume the gun law would be the easiest to rectify. The birther bill, not so much. But if they do, and they address her specific concerns, she will be obligated to sign them, or she'll be politically dead in the water.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:06:24 PM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Governor Jan Brewer vetoes Arizona "Birther" bill.
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
The test of the authenticity of her proclaimed justification will be what she does when the legislature rewrites these bills to address the concerns as she has defined them. I would assume the gun law would be the easiest to rectify. The birther bill, not so much. But if they do, and they address her specific concerns, she will be obligated to sign them, or she'll be politically dead in the water.

So nice when politicians let us know what their standards are.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »
My gut-check tells me she's doing what she can to avoid court challenges in having the legislation written as Constitutional as can pass muster and with no ambiguity.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »
My gut-check tells me she's doing what she can to avoid court challenges in having the legislation written as Constitutional as can pass muster and with no ambiguity.

That's kinda what I'm thinking too. I was sucked in by the headline, but in reading her explanation, I think there is at least a logical conservative path to the veto decision. One can imagine the frenzy if a court challenge were to overturn the law. Avoiding such a frenzy with airtight legislation meant to withstand a court challenge is simply wise.

But like I said, if they repass one or both of these bills, and specifically address her concerns, she'll have to pass them.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Yes.  And then we'll see.

We're so used to being betrayed, we expect it from any and all ... and now we've gone knee-jerk.  There is always time to determine if that back-pain is tension or a knife, but it's important to know which.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »
... and now we've gone knee-jerk. 

Maybe but I think that's better than waking up dead.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »

We're so used to being betrayed, we expect it from any and all ... and now we've gone knee-jerk.  There is always time to determine if that back-pain is tension or a knife, but it's important to know which.

I think I understand (and share) your frustration, but from what I gather Governor Brewer is being cautious. It isn't that she was "bought off" (as I've seen ranted elsewhere) or a "sleeper" (ditto), but doesn't want - or need - the blow-back from a poorly crafted piece of legislation.

We shall see....

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »

I think I understand (and share) your frustration, but from what I gather Governor Brewer is being cautious. It isn't that she was "bought off" (as I've seen ranted elsewhere) or a "sleeper" (ditto), but doesn't want - or need - the blow-back from a poorly crafted piece of legislation.

We shall see....

I suspect you've misunderstood my position.  We're on the same page here.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:51 PM »

We shall see....

I suspect you've misunderstood my position.  We're on the same page here.

Yea, probably. I'm dog tired and should just go zone out on the boob-toob (if I still did that sort of thing ;-)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 10:33:15 PM »
Look:

UPDATE: Governor Brewer just admitted on Greta’s show that the Arizona House has enough votes to override the veto. Brewer said the bills were “sloppily written.”

UPDATE: Here’s the video.
Governor Brewer said the “birther” bill was a distraction. She said she is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment but that the gun bill was sloppily written so she vetoed it too.

I'm not buying she's a sell-out; she's stood strong against all Duh Wun threw at her.  She wants the legislators to get their sh!t together and write tight bills because they're out of practice.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:59 PM »
...write tight bills because they're out of practice.

::rolllaughing::

Maybe the legislators could actually write the bills instead of their staffs?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 11:31:19 PM »
...write tight bills because they're out of practice.

Maybe the legislators could actually write the bills instead of their staffs?

Yah.  But that would involve, like, WORK.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 05:49:25 AM »

Or . . .

The legislature could just override her veto . . .

From Gateway Pundit: Governor Brewer just admitted on Greta’s show that the Arizona House has enough votes to override the veto. Brewer said the bills were “sloppily written.”
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 07:34:07 AM »
Okay, Birther Mystery Solved...finally

Ohhh, ain't that cute?!

First of his generation to stand upright!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »

Or . . .

The legislature could just override her veto . . .

From Gateway Pundit: Governor Brewer just admitted on Greta’s show that the Arizona House has enough votes to override the veto. Brewer said the bills were “sloppily written.”

I think the Gov has a valid point, why give the courts ammo to change the meaning of a law?  If they go the veto override route, they may be back to near square one on either bill depending on what the courts rule, and they will, bills like these never go unchallenged.