Author Topic: Another CG dies during rescue  (Read 1978 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Another CG dies during rescue
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
Coast Guard officer injured in Alaska rescue dies
The Associated Press16 hours ago

In this photo provided by Coast Guard Cutter Waesche, Petty Officer 3rd Class Travis Obendorf is seen. Obendorf died in a Seattle hospital on Wednesday, Dec. 18, 2013, as a result of injuries he sustained during a first passenger transfer on Nov. 11, according to the Coast Guard. (AP Photo/ Coast Guard Cutter Waesche)
Share on email SEATTLE (AP) — The Coast Guard says one of its officers who was injured last month while rescuing crew members from a disabled fishing vessel off Alaska has died of his injuries.

In a statement, the Coast Guard said Petty Officer Third Class Travis Obendorf died Wednesday at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle.

The 166-foot Alaska Mist suffered a mechanical failure and was adrift north of Amak Island off the Alaska Peninsula. Obendorf's cutter, the Waesche (WAY-shee) responded, evacuated non-essential members of the 22-person crew, then took the Mist under tow to Dutch Harbor.

The Coast Guard says Obendorf was injured Nov. 11 during the first passenger transfer while recovering a small boat. He was flown to Anchorage and transferred to the Seattle hospital on Dec. 6.

His cutter's commanding officer, Capt. John McKinley, said Obendorf's willingness to help others "even amidst the dangerous environment of the Bering Sea," embodies the Coast Guard's core values.

RIP  Petty Officer Travis Obendorf

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:22:18 PM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Another CG dies during rescue
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
RIP.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
Another Coastguardsman just doing his job crosses the bar. The public doesn't really know....

But Rusty and I do.

U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:47:19 AM »
Another Coastguardsman just doing his job crosses the bar. The public doesn't really know....

But Rusty and I do.

After 30 yrs in the Gulf of Mexico, I have an idea.

RIP. ::praying::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:33:57 AM »
That North Pacific is the roughest meanest ocean I ever did see, and to perform rescue ops in such an environment any time of year let alone winter time is for only troopers with big brass ones.

R.I.P. Travis.   ::praying::  for family & friends.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
R 190019Z DEC 13
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//VCG//
TO ALCOAST
BT
UNCLAS //N01000//
ALCOAST 540/13
COMDTNOTE 1000
SUBJ: LOSS OF COAST GUARDSMAN

1. It is with great sadness that I report the loss of Boatswains Mate Third Class Travis Raymond Obendorf, CGC WAESCHE, who died at 1134 PST today from injuries sustained on November 11, 2013, while the ship was conducting search and rescue operations in D17 waters.

2. WAESCHE was north of Cold Bay, Alaska, responding to a SAR case involving a disabled fishing vessel.  Petty Officer Obendorf was a crew member aboard WAESCHEs small boat and was severely injured during boat operations while assisting passengers from the fishing vessel.  Despite a valiant fight over the past month, Petty Officer Obendorf succumbed to his injuries earlier today with his family and shipmates at his side.

3. Petty Officer Obendorf stood the watch on the front lines of Coast Guard operations throughout his nine years of active duty.  He previously served aboard Coast Guard Cutter ALERT, at Patrol Forces Southwest Asia in Bahrain and at Coast Guard Station Boston. Throughout his Coast Guard service, Petty Officer Obendorfs professionalism and commitment ensured that we were always ready to answer the nations call.  Let us never forget his service and sacrifice.

4. The entire Service is energized to support his family and shipmates.  Please keep BM3 Obendorf, his family and shipmates in your thoughts and prayers.

5. Semper Paratus.  VADM John Currier, Acting Commandant, sends.

6. Internet release authorized.
BT
NNNN

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
Just found out that injury occured during small boat recovery - no further details, investigation pending.....
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
So many do not know the bravery and selflessness of the men and women of the Coast Guard.  Those of us that do wish Petty Officer Obendorf a heroes peace.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 02:14:04 AM »
So many do not know the bravery and selflessness of the men and women of the Coast Guard.  Those of us that do wish Petty Officer Obendorf a heroes peace.

Boaters know of the Coast Guard, but probably not what the Coast Guard does except that it's a pain in the ass when they stop a boat to inspect it for safety gear and other reasons.

Thank you , Kay, for your kind words regarding we Coasties.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 02:16:46 AM »
Just found out that injury occured during small boat recovery - no further details, investigation pending.....

I think you and I have an inkling of what may occur during a "small boat recovery" in rough seas in Alaskan waters.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »
No question of that, I just hope the 'investigation' finds one of the thousand things, and can deliver a reasonable idea for a possible fix.  Even though nothing is perfect all of the time when dealing with 'mother nature', cause she always wins, at least try to even the odds.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »
No question of that, I just hope the 'investigation' finds one of the thousand things, and can deliver a reasonable idea for a possible fix.  Even though nothing is perfect all of the time when dealing with 'mother nature', cause she always wins, at least try to even the odds.

What I'm thinking about has no fix except to let the small boat go and if possible watch it for whatever happens, probably capsizing and/or crashing onto the rocks. Also send out a radio alert if it's adrift and cannot be safely rescued.