Topics > TEOTWAWKI

Growing grain.

(1/4) > >>

John Florida:
 I wonder how much corn or grain you would need to grow for a say a family of 4 to be able to get through a year to the next crop? And/or how much you would need to grow fuel and food for a year?And the side benefits of doing it.

Anybody??

LadyVirginia:
from  the 1st book off my shelf:

an acre of corn yields 750 - 1500 doz. ears of corn (shelled corn yields about 56 lbs per bushel)

an acre of wheat yields 20 - 50 bushels (wheat yields 60 pounds per bushel)

1000sq feet:
corn 6-8 doz ears
wheat 40 lbs

(above From The Backyard Homestead)

I dug this out of my old copy of Carla Emery's book:
Wheat--40 lbs per child and 300 lbs per adult for a year's supply

I haven't found anything on corn.

John Florida:
If a thousand square feet yealds 40 pound of wheat and a builders acre is 40,000 sq.feet that would be 1600 poinds of wheat. Hell that would be enough for a couple and then some. With a couple of acres you could do fuel and food and use the fuel left overs for animals.

Pandora:

--- Quote from: John Florida on April 13, 2011, 10:57:49 PM ---If a thousand square feet yealds 40 pound of wheat and a builders acre is 40,000 sq.feet that would be 1600 poinds of wheat. Hell that would be enough for a couple and then some. With a couple of acres you could do fuel and food and use the fuel left overs for animals.

--- End quote ---

Yah, and you razzed me about planting two acres of stuff.  "Do you know how much two acres is?"

John Florida:

--- Quote from: Pandora on April 13, 2011, 11:17:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: John Florida on April 13, 2011, 10:57:49 PM ---If a thousand square feet yields 40 pound of wheat and a builders acre is 40,000 sq.feet that would be 1600 pounds of wheat. Hell that would be enough for a couple and then some. With a couple of acres you could do fuel and food and use the fuel left overs for animals.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, and you razzed me about planting two acres of stuff.  "Do you know how much two acres is?"

--- End quote ---

80 thousand square feet if you use builder acres or 88 thousand square feet in real acres.Yes I do and I would not be looking at trees. You can't devote all of that to grain you need more land for other stuff.

I like mental exercising to see how far I can take something. Like if you did plant 2 acres of grain what can you get besides flour out of it. How much do you need for food and then how do you get more than one use out of it.

If the math posted is right and I would need 600 pounds for two adults for a year and I have 1000 pounds left what can be done with it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version