Author Topic: 20-Year-Old With Down Syndrome is going to college! (video)  (Read 989 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
20-Year-Old With Down Syndrome is going to college! (video)
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:06:56 PM »
Rion Holcombe, a 20 year old with Down syndrome, gets a special letter in the mail......and his dream come true, the chance to become a college student!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UtymXSMsDU#ws

Over a million views.

ClemsonLIFE is a special program designed to give those with a disability a chance to live on campus and have a 2-year academic experience.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline KittenClaws

Re: 20-Year-Old With Down Syndrome is going to college! (video)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:50:21 PM »
That's wonderful, heartwarming! But, if he can't understand an acceptance letter, how is it he performs well in college?

Good item for discussion, I guess.  As for me, heartwarming is one thing. An ability to do real work is another.  I just hope he is not seeking a degree in the medical profession.

No. I am not trying to be cruel. But let's be honest about this. Is this a PC acceptance or is this young man gifted in a particular area?

Down's syndrome children ARE special. I've had the incredible experience of knowing a downs child.  But college? I don't know. Perhaps some downs children are truly gifted within a certain field, who am I to say?

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: 20-Year-Old With Down Syndrome is going to college! (video)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
I went to the ClemsonLIfe website and found this:

ClemsonLIFE™ is a two year program incorporating functional academics, independent living, employment, and social/leisure skills in a public university setting with the goal of producing self-sufficient young adults. Students successfully completing the two year program will receive a certificate of postsecondary education. For select students, an optional third year is available to assist with job placement and community integration with a decreased level of supports.

ClemsonLIFE™ Courses
•Functional Mathematics, Banking, and Budgeting
•Functional Literature
•Independent Living Skills
•Social Skills
•Self Advocacy and Safety
•Employment Skills
•Supervised Job Placement/Internships

Independent Living
•Students live in 4 bedroom apartments on campus
•Supervision is provided by an on-site Resident Assistant (RA) in each student apartment
•Independent living skills are taught in class, at the apartments, and then reinforced by RAs
•Students are taught to use the Clemson Area Transit (CAT) buses for transportation
•Students learn to manage a busy schedule with class, work, fitness, cooking instruction and more each day

Employment
•Job placements (on and off campus) with on-site supervision
•Weekly evaluation of performance on the job site
•Classroom instruction on employment skills
•Employment portfolio development: Each student will develop an electronic employment portfolio to present to prospective employers upon completion of the program. This portfolio will contain videos from job placement experiences along with other artifacts. This portfolio will give a more complete picture of what the student is capable of doing in additional a paper resume.

Counseling
•Counselors assist students and resident assistants with independent living skills
•Weekly group counseling sessions with students
•Individual counseling session available, upon student request

Socialization/Leisure
•Clemson University leisure skills courses
•Involvement in campus student organizations
•Campus and community evening and weekend activities
•Personal fitness training and workouts
•Nutrition and health food cooking classes
•Interaction with Clemson University students from all across campus
•Mentoring opportunities

Admission Criteria
•Primary disability must be cognitive, not behavioral or emotional
•Age is between 18-23 years old upon admission to the program
•Demonstrates independence, motivation, and stability
•Reading ability is on at least a third grade level
•Has basic mathematics understanding; can use a calculator
•Can utilize technology (cell phone, lap top, etc.) on a basic level
•Is able to function independently for a sustained period of time
•Was eligible for IDEA services while in school; has an IEP
•Likes to be around people; sociable
•Able to handle changes in routine; can be flexible in fluctuating circumstances
•Not defiant toward authority; can take direction
•Likes to learn
•Has the potential to be successful in competitive employment situations. It has become increasingly apparent to us that having some type of employment experience contributes greatly toward success in our program. We highly recommend employment, or at least volunteer, experience before entering the program.
•Has the desire and motivation to participate in a college experience
•Has parents who will support his/her independence

ClemsonLIFE™ students attend modified courses in the ClemsonLIFE™ classroom taught by graduate student instructors and program staff with certified special education teaching certificates. In addition to ClemsonLIFE™ courses, students attend one Clemson University leisure skills course.

College is not for everyone. However, many students desire a college experience, including students with intellectual disabilities. It is for this reason that many colleges and universities now offer Comprehensive Postsecondary Transition Programs, like ClemsonLIFE™. These programs offer inclusive social activities; participation in college courses; along with instruction on independent living skills, employment skills, and social skills with the goal of independent living and gainful employment to the greatest extent possible for each student.

This program was the first I heard of this.  Apparently, there are a number of these college programs across the country. South Carolina has 5 of them.  I don't know anyone with Down Syndrome but considering that 90% of Down babies get aborted I think this is a wonderful thing.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."