Author Topic: JEFF’S GASLESS FRENCH ONION SOUP  (Read 4917 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
JEFF’S GASLESS FRENCH ONION SOUP
« on: December 21, 2013, 02:54:28 AM »
JEFF’S GASLESS FRENCH ONION SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
10 pounds sliced, chopped onions
4 – 10-1/2 oz. cans beef bouillon
2-1/4 sticks unsalted butter
1-1/4 gallons water
10 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
4 cubes beef bouillon

Melt butter in large frying pan; slowly sauté onions, uncovered and stirring frequently, until they are a light, golden yellow. (The longer the frying time, the milder the onions will be. Frying for 3-4 hours [or more] removes almost all the "gassiness" from the onions.)  Add Worcestershire sauce when onions are almost done, stir thoroughly. Transfer onions to large pot, add remaining ingredients, and simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring often.

Makes between 1-1/2 and 2 gallons. Can be served immediately, or stored in refrigerator for several days, or frozen.

To serve: Heat soup, ladle into bowls. Place a generous slice of lightly toasted or dried French or Italian bread on top of soup and sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese. Place under broiler until cheese starts to brown.

NOTE: This recipe contains no added salt. Salt may be added when served, if necessary.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: JEFF’S GASLESS FRENCH ONION SOUP
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:07:20 AM »
Oh my.  This sounds sooo good I'm going to have to try it ...... on my friends.  Aren't your bestest of friends willing guinea pigs to your new recipes?   ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 02:14:56 PM »
Oh my.  This sounds sooo good I'm going to have to try it ...... on my friends.  Aren't your bestest of friends willing guinea pigs to your new recipes?   ;D

That's funny Pan ;')

A couple of weeks ago I stopped by my office (I do have a physical office that I visit once or twice a month) and noticed a dozen or more spice bottles on a co-workers desk. I made some lame joke about smoking the Oregano and he asked me if I liked Lima Beans and Ham-hocks? I didn't want to tell him that I despise Lima Beans so I sorta nodded affirmatively. He said, "then you have to be here tomorrow cuz I'm making a batch right now!"

As luck would have it I had a meeting that brought me back to town the next day. When he reminded me about the beans I wavered a bit - I didn't want to insult him but I wasn't all that excited about the proposition of ralfing his project on the carpet. I figured I could utter something complementary and surreptitiously spit it back in the cup so I took a sample of his creation. And then I went back for two refills! Dayum they were good!

He spiced them up "Cajun style" and they were hot (I like 'em that way!), but the Lima's were tolerable and that's saying something. His recipe (as described) looks a lot like Jeff's ( from the other thread), except with Lima's instead of Great Northern's.

Good eatin!

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
< known guinea pig......but gassier than most.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »

That's funny Pan ;')

A couple of weeks ago I stopped by my office (I do have a physical office that I visit once or twice a month) and noticed a dozen or more spice bottles on a co-workers desk. I made some lame joke about smoking the Oregano and he asked me if I liked Lima Beans and Ham-hocks? I didn't want to tell him that I despise Lima Beans so I sorta nodded affirmatively. He said, "then you have to be here tomorrow cuz I'm making a batch right now!"

As luck would have it I had a meeting that brought me back to town the next day. When he reminded me about the beans I wavered a bit - I didn't want to insult him but I wasn't all that excited about the proposition of ralfing his project on the carpet. I figured I could utter something complementary and surreptitiously spit it back in the cup so I took a sample of his creation. And then I went back for two refills! Dayum they were good!

He spiced them up "Cajun style" and they were hot (I like 'em that way!), but the Lima's were tolerable and that's saying something. His recipe (as described) looks a lot like Jeff's ( from the other thread), except with Lima's instead of Great Northern's.

Good eatin!

I was raised with certain rules. Eat what is put before you being one.

At a friends house for dinner one night, everyone was raving about this huge bowl of fresh mushrooms. I can't tell you if they were cooked or not, they just were. I hated mushrooms, they made me gag.

Of course I was served a portion.  I ate them first to get the loathsome objects off of my plate,  noticing this, my friends mother made a big issue of it.

Look! Kay ate every one of those mushrooms! Did you like them, dear? So, what do I say? The polite thing, of course . They were delicious.

Upon hearing this, they just had to serve me more. I objected on the grounds that others may wish to hVe more mushrooms, that I should not be selfish.

But, no, I had to take more......

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus