Author Topic: Google Earth Maps  (Read 1485 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Google Earth Maps
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
Google Earth Maps
Post by rocketman on Mar 10, 2010, 12:13pm

Recently, my brother e-mailed me a satellite pic of our house. That pic has to be 25-30 years old. Has anyone else done this? If yes, how old does the pic appear to be?

Just Curious

Re: Google Earth Maps
Post by pandora on Mar 10, 2010, 12:40pm

Haven't done it - won't download anything from Google.

I'm curious as well, though.
Post by rocketman on Mar 10, 2010, 12:55pm

Mar 10, 2010, 12:40pm, pandora wrote:
Haven't done it - won't download anything from Google.

I'm curious as well, though.

Gimme your address and I'll do it.

Post by irondiopriest on Mar 10, 2010, 3:07pm

I can look up our house on Google maps. Just so happens that our house was the first one to break ground in the subdivision, so I can tell exactly when the map was produced by looking at the houses that are and are not there in the photo. Looks like the map was produced around late 2001, early 2002.

Interesting thing is, when you scroll West, there is a definite line of demarcation where you can see that the map was produced at a different time, because by our house, the lakes are open and foliage is green, but west of here a few miles the lakes are frozen and everything is snow-covered.

Fascinating technology, albeit a bit scary too.
Post by alphabetsoup on Mar 10, 2010, 4:51pm

Mar 10, 2010, 12:13pm, rocketman wrote:
Recently, my brother e-mailed me a satellite pic of our house. That pic has to be 25-30 years old. Has anyone else done this? If yes, how old does the pic appear to be?

Just Curious

When I was property shopping I used these satellite map sites extensively. They were quite useful for previewing homes and neighborhoods and giving a general sense of an area before actually traveling there for a hands-on tour. I looked at a lot of properties and having this tool saved me a bunch of time.

I can't remember which site has the feature, but one site offers cached imaged from various periods. It is for obvious reasons limited in its inventory, but still allows a glimpse into the past .

I just checked Zillow.com and the image of my house is a couple of years old. Same with MSN and Google.
Post by libertasinfinitio on Mar 10, 2010, 7:25pm

Among family and friends I've seen it range from last summer to several years ago, and over different seasons.
Post by johnflorida on Mar 10, 2010, 7:35pm

I did it a couple of years ago to look at my daughters house and it was up to date. I could see her car in the drive way. She had had only owned the house about a month.
Post by rocketman on Mar 11, 2010, 11:06am

Maybe it's just me. We are rather rural - though not nearly as much as we used to be.

Or Enough!

Post by mnhawk on Mar 12, 2010, 12:12pm

It's only selected cities, and even then, not every neighborhood.

What's getting amazing is that smaller towns are starting to get street viewed.

When the technology has truly arrived, will be when we can get these maps tied in with Flight Sim. 
Post by rocketman on Mar 15, 2010, 12:33pm

Mar 12, 2010, 12:12pm, mnhawk wrote:
It's only selected cities, and even then, not every neighborhood.

What's getting amazing is that smaller towns are starting to get street viewed.

When the technology has truly arrived, will be when we can get these maps tied in with Flight Sim. 

<chuckle>

Better have plenty of ground crews ready to clean up the mess!

in a figurative sense of course

We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt