Topics > General Board

Feel Good Story of the Week

(1/2) > >>

BigAlSouth:
Most folks do not realize that there is a movement afoot to boycott all goods manufactured in Israel. From Yourish.com:

--- Quote ---Reality sets in: An Australian town council voted to boycott Israel, and did the number-crunching of what it would cost to replace “Israeli” products with something else: $3.7 million (and even in Australian dollars, that’s a lot). It’s being inundated by calls from angry taxpayers demanding that the council STFU about things that don’t affect them and don’t get involved in international affairs.

The Greens-dominated Marrickville Council, in Sydney’s inner west, voted in December to back the global Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which boycotts all products said to be directly or indirectly associated with Israel.

A new Marrickville Council business paper reveals the boycott could cost taxpayers $3.7 million if all the recommendations contained within the document were adopted.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

More than $3 million of that would come from replacing all the authority’s Hewlett-Packard computers, which the BDS website claims are used at Israeli military checkpoints that restrict the movement of Palestinians. The BDS movement was started in 2005 in protest over alleged oppression of Palestinians.

It’s a beautiful thing, reality. Whether or not the councillors will listen to their angry constituents is going to be decided next week. Oh, and this council has voted to boycott a nation before: Burma.
--- End quote ---

OMG. Burma next! How will they survive?

http://www.yourish.com/2011/04/14/14028

LadyVirginia:

--- Quote ---It’s being inundated by calls from angry taxpayers demanding that the council STFU about things that don’t affect them and don’t get involved in international affairs.

--- End quote ---

I love it when common sense breaks out in different parts of the world.

Libertas:
Indeed!  A healthy and properly functioning cerebral cortex is a beautiful thing to behold!

::cool::

Pandora:
I never see anything for sale here that was made in Israel - that I'm aware of.  Anybody know if we actually import, and if so, what (besides a few food items)?

Good on those folks!

charlesoakwood:

I bought Danish hams. I would be glad to by Israeli products.

I already boycott certain countries products, ie Turkey.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version