Author Topic: Phil Everly  (Read 1468 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Phil Everly
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
Rest in peace.  ::praying::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »
RIP!
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »
Wow.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »
R.I.P.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »
I loved the music of the Everly Brothers!

Rest in peace, Sir. You and your brother made my life a little better.

U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
As often happens in the music business the Everly Brothers had their ups and they had their downs. Trying to run a business, trying to maintain a sense of self, constantly pressured to keep popping out those songs, they all took their toll.

Things got to the point where they brothers would arrive at the venue separately, perform their gig, and leave without ever speaking to one another.

The long-feuding Everlys split on July 14, 1973, when Don showed up drunk for an Everly Brothers show at Knotts Berry Farm – billed as their last performance. Phil tried to carry on, but finally got so mad that he smashed his guitar and stormed off the stage, leaving Don to finish the show alone. They only saw each other in person once over the next 10 years — at their father’s 1975 funeral.
http://listeningroom.lohudblogs.com/2009/11/28/rocks-sibling-rivalries/

They did reunite in 1983 onstage for two concerts at London’s Royal Albert Hall. The event is taped and released as Reunion Concert, an album and home video.
https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/the-everly-brothers/timeline/

In 2003, Paul Simon, who counts the Everlys as his biggest influence, talked them into touring with Simon and Garfunkel. "It was hilarious that the four of us were doing this tour, given our collective histories of squabbling," Simon told Rolling Stone. "Don and Phil hadn't seen each other in about three years. They met in the parking lot before the first gig." When the tour ended, the brothers went their separate ways and haven't performed together since.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/the-11-greatest-rock-feuds-of-all-time-20110101/the-everly-brothers-rocks-first-sibling-rivalry-0009795

My point in all of this isn't to criticize - it's only to bring more context to the lives of the guys who sang such sweet harmonies. It looks like they were able to reconcile their differences even though they went their separate ways. My musical appetites outgrew their music but my brother and I often played their tunes around the campfire and for the kids.

RIP Phil Everly

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »
  There is a certain humanness to it. Horrible, yet real. I am ashamed at my own  un-forgiveness toward family over the years, most of whom are dead. None of which can be undone. Pride has destroyed the families of rich and poor alike.  One wonders why God still has love for us, since we clearly do not deserve it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:22:05 PM by ChrstnHsbndFthr »
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
I still enjoy their music. RIP.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
You know you're growing up, when you start to admit that not all of your parents music sucks.  The Everly Brothers were a big part of that, personally.  It doesn't hurt that they had a great come back song in the early 80's, that instantly grabbed me.

Everly Brothers, On the wings of a nightingale

I read Phil was a life long smoker, and that's what killed him.  Amazing it didn't effect the voice.