Author Topic: Woman sues for $1.75M, alleging glove left inside her after surgery at Creighton  (Read 671 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Woman sues for $1.75M, alleging glove left inside her after surgery at Creighton med center

By Bob Glissmann / World-Herald staff writer
January 3, 2014

A married couple from Montana is suing the wife's physicians, the Pope Paul VI Institute and Creighton University Medical Center, saying a surgical glove was left inside her abdomen after a surgical procedure at the Creighton hospital.

Darin and Syndi Miske of Wibaux, Mont., are seeking $1.75 million and a jury trial in the case.

The complaint says Syndi Miske underwent unnecessary medical procedures, including a hysterectomy, causing additional expenses and “unnecessary pain, discomfort, fear and dread which will continue in the future.”

None of those named as defendants in the suit would comment on the case.

According to the complaint filed late last week in U.S. District Court in Nebraska:

Syndi Miske, now 38, went to Omaha's Pope Paul VI Institute for the Study of Human Reproduction, seeking help to become pregnant, in November 2011. After Miske provided her health and surgical histories, she was examined and doctors performed biopsies and cultures. She underwent a six-hour surgery at Creighton University Medical Center on Dec. 30, 2011, that she was told would promote increased fertility. The surgery included the removal of endometrial tissue and adhesions.

The procedure was performed by Dr. Kristina Pakiz, Dr. Kathryn Karges and Dr. Christine Cimo Hemphill, with the assistance of nurses, technicians and staff.

The three physicians were associated with the institute and Creighton at the time. Pakiz still is; Karges now practices in Texas, and Cimo Hemphill practices in Virginia.

After the surgery, the complaint says, Miske stayed at Creighton for three nights and “began suffering significant hot flashes, night sweats, and bloating, pain and discomfort in her abdomen.” She was told that these were common postsurgical problems.

{snip}

During the surgery, a surgical glove containing about 10 ounces of clear fluid was found to have been left inside her abdominal cavity. The glove had been tied off with a knot, the complaint says.

Jeanelle Lust, a Lincoln attorney who is representing the Miskes, said the Miskes' legal team assumes that the liquid-filled glove had been frozen and used as an ice pack or retractor during the 2011 surgery and was forgotten.

“She had all of these complications, including being told she may have cancer,” Lust said. “Then it turns out it's the glove.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140103/LIVEWELL01/140109714/1685
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
It'll be much better after ObamaCare has reduced providers to banana republic standards.

Oh, wait...I meant worse, not better.  My bad.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
So....where is the other glove?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.