Author Topic: Presidential Trivia - Game  (Read 57823 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Presidential Trivia - Game
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2014, 03:02:08 PM »
Maybe it was McKinley then?

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »
I cannot recall his name, but he was a communist agitator. I think a Russian or polish immigrant. One of those long Russian type names. His trial to his execution was 30 days or less, including all appeals. Now THAT is how justice is administered.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »
I think his name was Charles Giteau (sp?)
He was an Anarchist, not a Communist.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »
Answer for #27   Yes it was the train station in Washington DC, but as Paul Harvey would say - here's the rest of the story;

The assassin was Charles J. Guiteau and he used a .44 cal. British Bulldog pistol.  Why is that entered, well because he thought "it would look good in a museum someday"  sic; but it gets worse.  Alexander Graham Bell tried to find the bullet in Garfield with an 'electrical device' he had invented, but it failed, so after weeks of laying in the White House with a mortal wound Garfield died.  Then Guiteau wrote to then President Chester Arthur; "My inspiration is a godsent to you and I presume that you appreciate it.......never think of Garfields removal as a murder".
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »
Crap. Finally one I could have answered all parts and I'm too late. ::bashing::

I just finished reading a book on the very subject with all of the characters including Dr. Willard Bliss. Garfield suffered for 2 months after the shooting. The bullet itself wasn't life threatening, but Garfield eventually succumbed to infection from the doctors' (there were many who examined him) fingers probing the bullet hole.

Bliss had taken charge (for no apparent reason other than ego) and Garfield's death was a blow to his practice. Bliss denied any infection even though Garfield fielded all of the symptoms. The infection was discovered spread throughout Garfield's body when the autopsy was done.

Guiteau was a lunatic thought he would be praised as a hero for killing Garfield. Almost the whole time he was in prison, he expected A) the U.S. Army to come to his rescue or B) figured Chester A. Arthur would grant him a full pardon.

You could almost write a book on Guiteau's experiences.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2014, 10:12:14 PM »
AlanS - Sorry about posting to soon, but a big thank you for filling out the entire tale of the assassination and the doctors screw ups.  I try to condense because I can go on and on about most of this, so being afraid of creating bordom I summarize as much as possible.   ::beertoast::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »
Question #28

Who was the President when France presented the United States with the Statue of Liberty?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:57 AM »
I think we might be stumped Rusty...but I'll guess McKinley, why?  I dunno...thing has to be over a 100 years old, don't it?   ::whatgives::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2014, 07:08:23 AM »
It was earlier, Libertas.
Didn't look it up but think we got it in 1876.
If so, I think it would be Hayes

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »
The Torch arm was on display in 1876 at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, then moved to New York's Madison Square Park from 1876-1882.  The rest was transport here in 350 pieces in 1885 during the presidency of Chester Arthur.  America was to provide the pedestal and funding was slow until Joseph Pulitzer took the chair for funding getting about 120,00 donations of $1.00.  With the pedestal finally finish reassembly was finally completed and President Grover Cleveland held the dedication on Oct. 28, 1886 after what is believed to be New York's first 'ticker tape parade'.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:51:08 AM by rustybayonet »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2014, 07:43:53 AM »
It was earlier, Libertas.
Didn't look it up but think we got it in 1876.
If so, I think it would be Hayes

Wouldn't that have been Grant?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »
The Torch arm was on display in 1876 at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, then moved to New York's Madison Square Park from 1876-1882.  The rest was transport here in 350 pieces in 1885 during the presidency of Chester Arthur.  America was to provide the pedestal and funding was slow until Joseph Pulitzer took the chair for funding getting about 120,00 donations of $1.00.  With the pedestal finally finish reasembly was finally completed and President Grover Cleveland held the dedication on Oct. 28, 1886 after what is believed to be New York's first 'ticker tape parade'.

10 years.  Stuff took a while back then.  Heck, we took 10 years to build the Panama canal right?  Not all that many years later and an undertaking only about a million times more daunting!

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:32 AM »
Part was here during U.S. Grant
Arm displayed during Hayes
Crated pieces during Arthur, and reassembly started [this was considered delivery, even in pieces]
completed and dedication Clevelands first term;
but I guess all above answers can be taken.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
Question #29

This presidents 'first lady began the practice of having the band play "Hail to the Chief" for the president before state occasions, Who was he?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »
Oooh, this is a devilishly tricky one, Rusty!  "First Lady", "before state occasions"!   ::pokeineye::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »
Hail to the Chief was believed played for the first time by the Marine Corp. Band, July 4, 1828 at the ceremony dedicating the opening of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal while President J.Q Adams attended.  Played once in a while for President Andrew Jackson, But it formally request played at all state functions by Julia Tyler, the second wife of President John Tyler.  Ironically not until during Harry Truman's administration did congress make it the official tribute to the President.

U.S. Presidential Anthem - Hail to the Chief (With Lyrics)

this one without the words is what everone is use to;

Hail to the Chief
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:42:57 AM by rustybayonet »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2014, 08:47:26 AM »
If Wiki is right on this...

Association with the President first occurred in 1815, when it was played to honor both George Washington and the end of the War of 1812 (under the name "Wreaths for the Chieftain").[1] On July 4, 1828, the U.S. Marine Band performed the song at a ceremony for the formal opening of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which was attended by President John Quincy Adams.[2] Andrew Jackson was the first living President to have the song used to honor his position in 1829, and it was played at Martin Van Buren's inauguration in 1837.[1] Julia Tyler, second wife of John Tyler, requested its use to announce the arrival of the President.[1] Her successor as First Lady, Sarah Childress Polk, encouraged its regular use in this manner after it was used at James Polk's inauguration; William Seale says, "Polk was not an impressive figure, so some announcement was necessary to avoid the embarrassment of his entering a crowded room unnoticed. At large affairs the band...rolled the drums as they played the march...and a way was cleared for the President."[1] Under the term of Harry Truman the Department of Defense made it the official tribute to the President.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_to_the_Chief

What is a more "official" state function? 

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »
Question #30

Florida's electoral votes were contested, and he did not win the popular vote.  In his inaugural address, he noted that a special commission was created to decide the election, who was this President?  Hint; {probably not who you are thinking.}

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2014, 11:18:51 AM »
I smell a democrat, and the only good democrat...   ;)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2014, 05:31:20 PM »
A dead one, Libertas?