Author Topic: Presidential Trivia - Game  (Read 56976 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Re: Presidential Trivia - Game
« Reply #360 on: July 12, 2014, 10:53:36 AM »
What was President Martin VanBuren's nickname?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:12:45 PM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #361 on: July 13, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
Martin VanBuren's nickname was "The Little Magician"

Staying with nicknames -- What was John Tyler's nickname?
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #362 on: July 14, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
I know "Van is is used up man!".   ;D

But I think you are looking for "His Ascendancy"?  Since he slipped in as Harrison slipped out...all the way out!  I guess you could say old Tippecanoe tipped the canoe and Tyler took it and hopped in.  IIRC there was a lot of animus over his inheritance and the Jacksonian Dem's loathed all Whigs and even some Whigs hated fellow Whigs...spin forward to today and we have Ruling Class Repubs hating all non-Ruling Class repubs...go like the Whigs they will!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #363 on: July 14, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »
Right you are Libertas - John Tyler was known as the 'Accidental President' after the death of Wm. Harrison

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #364 on: July 14, 2014, 03:27:37 PM »
How many presidents can you name that appear on;

On U.S. Coins
On U.S. Paper Currency

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #365 on: July 16, 2014, 06:56:20 AM »
Once again no takers;

Coins --- Lincoln, Jefferson, F. Roosevelt, Washington, Kennedy, and Eisenhower

Currency --- Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Jackson, Grant, McKinley, Cleveland, Madison, and Wilson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #366 on: July 16, 2014, 07:00:08 AM »
Next Question;

How many times in the history of the United States Presidency has the President been without a Vice-President?   And how many can you name?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #367 on: July 16, 2014, 07:33:22 AM »
Oh, asleep at the switch, I coulda got the money ones...except maybe those last few on the big bills I never saw in my life... 

For the Veep-less, I should know this and will probably kick myself when the results are shown...but I am dead in the head today...has to be non-modern era though, especially early on when succession issues/procedures weren't as nailed down or timely...

Would have to involve those who died in office - Harrison, Taylor, Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, FDR & Kennedy.  But IIRC I don't think any of them were ever without a Veep!

So, it has to be among Veeps who died in office!  Crap, that makes it harder.  I can only think of Burr and Calhoun.  Hey, I got this far, y'all pick it up from here!!!

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #368 on: July 16, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
What about the times directly after a presidential death/assassination when the Veep is promoted (for lack of a better term) and he has not selected  a new Veep, or when Nixon stepped down and Ford became Pres then he needed to select a new Veep.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #369 on: July 16, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
What about the times directly after a presidential death/assassination when the Veep is promoted (for lack of a better term) and he has not selected  a new Veep, or when Nixon stepped down and Ford became Pres then he needed to select a new Veep.

Oh yeah, who was that?  Rockefeller?  Talk about not being seen or heard!   ::hysterical::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #370 on: July 16, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Hats off to Libertas and benb61 - pretty good job.  Here's the list and reasons;

1812-1813 Pres. Madison had no VP - George Clinton died in office
1814-1817 Pres. Madison had no VP - Elbridge Gerry died in office
                   [Madison must have been tough on VP's]
1832-1833 Pres. Jackson dropped John C. Calhoun from ticket after re-elected due to impasse
                    with Calhoun and 'friends' and appointed Martin VenBuren as his VP
1841-1845 Pres. William H. Harrison died after 30 days in office, Tyler took over with no VP
1850-1853 After Pres. Zackary Taylor died, Millard Fillmore become Pres.
1853-1857 Pres. Franklin Pierce - VP William R. King died in office
1865-1869 Pres. Lincoln assassinated, Andrew Johnson became Pres. with no VP
1875-1877 Pres. U.S. Grant [2nd term] VP Henry Wilson died in office
1881-1885 Pres. Garfield assassinated, Chester Arthur finished most of the term.
1885-1889 Pres. Cleveland held office alone after Thomas A. Hendricks died in office
1901-1906 Pres. McKinley assassinated, Teddy Roosevelt finished term without VP
1912-1913 Pres. Taft finished term after death of VP James S. Sherman
1923-1925 Pres. Harding died in office and Calvin Coolidge finished term
1945-1949 Pres. F. Roosevelt died in office and Harry Truman finished term
1963-1965 Pres. Kennedy assassinated,VP LB Johnson finished term without VP
1973          Pres. R. Nixon, VP Spiro Agnew resigned in scandal, Jerry Ford appointed VP
1974          Pres. R. Nixon resigns, VP Ford takes over and later appoints Rockefeller VP

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #371 on: July 17, 2014, 06:50:53 AM »
Those are tough, Veeps are easy to forget, some more than others!

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #372 on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:10 AM »
Next question;  There was a 'strange medical' occurance between the first 5 Presidents to die before 1840 and the last 5 Presidents to die after 1960 --- do you know what it was?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #373 on: July 17, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »
I beleive we would be talking about Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison & Monroe and Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford & Reagan...and I cannot think of a strange medical occurance...I was going to say they all died at home but obviously that cannot be true with Kennedy...

Strange medical occurance...

I am not going to like this one am I?  Too obscure!   :o

Strange...

Medical exam?  Embalming?  Parts removed and preserved?  A lock of hair?  Am I warm?

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #374 on: July 17, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
Medical exam?  Embalming?  Parts removed and preserved?  A lock of hair?  Am I warm?
Not really Libertas;

Within the medical community the medical care and knowledge has extended the average life span dramatically over the years, yet with all the advancements in medicine, the first 5 Presidents with their limited treatments lived to the average age of 83. the last five only lived an average age of 81.  Yes Kennedy was assassinated at a early age bringing the averages down.  Looking further, during the first half of presidential history to 1875 the median age of death was 73.5 years, with the second half's median age of death was 65.5 years [through 1994], accordingly it seems presidents live shorter lives than the average American even though they supposedly have the best medical care of anyone.   The figures don't speak very loudly to modern medicine as a prolonger of life, at least to presidents.   ::whatgives::
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:24:52 PM by rustybayonet »

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #375 on: July 18, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »
Another trivia question -- Who was the president that made this statement?

This president said of slavery; "I believe that involuntary servitude, as it exists in different states of the Confederacy, is recognized by the Constitution."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #376 on: July 21, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
Another trivia question -- Who was the president that made this statement?

This president said of slavery; "I believe that involuntary servitude, as it exists in different states of the Confederacy, is recognized by the Constitution."

I know I've heard that before but could not place the name to the phrase, so I had to look it up...I won't spill the beans entirely, but he is a pre-Civil War Democrat and not from the South...and he applied the term "Confederacy" a lot to refer to the nation and that there alone should have been my best clue!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #377 on: July 21, 2014, 08:37:55 AM »
Finally! One that I can answer!

This is the guy that, had he gotten his way we would have the State of Cuba (take that fidel!). Yep, he wanted to buy Cuba from Spain. He was a Copperhead, a northerner who sympathized with the southern slavers and demonized abolitionists. His whole administration was about appeasement to the south which only resulted in heightening tensions in the border states of Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri.

Widely regarded as "America's Worst President" (I think Buchanan who came next was even worse) Franklin Pierce served from 1853 to 1857.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #378 on: July 21, 2014, 11:43:35 AM »
Yeah, both were loathsome...and it says something that as bad as Pierce was Buchanan was worse...Buchanan tried to walk the middle ground and got steamrolled...how one can say secession is illegal and military action to prevent it is illegal was bound to have his ass rolled!  But I think Buchanan gets worse ratings than Pierce because it all began to unravel under him, but I think Pierce was the final straw and is technically worse than Buchanan...Buchanan was just a misguided fool, he should have taken a SCOTUS appointment and left politics to someone more astute...Pierce went beyond the Missouri compromise and openly supported the Kansas-Nebraska Act that virtually assured bloodshed and made the expansion of slavery in the western states the gasoline to propel the issue of slavery into elections and Civil War!  The Cuba thing was just a tropical version of Kansas-Nebraska, and you know you blow chunks when your own party cans your ass after one term and replaces you with a blubbering old fool like Buchanan!  Without Pierce there is no secession, no Civil War, not in 1860 maybe, maybe later on if no breakthrough on the impasse was reached, but for sure the Civil War was assured once Pierce took office.  And please note, Pierce beat war hero Winfield Scott in the election of 1852 whom he served under and the fact that the Whig platform differed little from the Democrat platform led the rowdy Free Soilers to bolt and make it easier for Pierce to beat Scott...now, where have we heard this before?  Oh yeah, we're living it!  Like the Whigs the GOP will die out.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:05:58 PM by Libertas »

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #379 on: July 21, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
By what measure could either of them be worse than Barry? 
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ