Author Topic: Budget "deal" passes Congress, enroute to president  (Read 1410 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Budget "deal" passes Congress, enroute to president
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/04/14/house-passes-budget-deal-easily-260-167/

Update: Commenters are noting that Paul Ryan also voted yes. Indeed, but there’s no way he was voting against Boehner after the leadership gave him carte blanche on the 2012 budget. That’s not to make excuses for him — maybe he thinks the budget deal is just fab — but if you were expecting a no from him on this just a day before the House votes on his own plan, you’re kidding yourself.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/04/14/rejected-bill-to-defund-planned-parenthood-fails-in-senate-4258/

As for the budget deal, it passed the Senate the same way it did the House — overwhelmingly, but with an unusual ideological mix in the minority. The roll will be here eventually but it isn’t up as I’m writing this; according to the Examiner’s Philip Klein, though, the no votes were Coburn, Crapo, DeMint, Ensign, Graham(!), Hatch, Inhofe, Johnson, Leahy, Lee, Levin, Paul, Risch, Rubio, Sanders, Shelby, Toomey, Vitter, and Wyden. Hatch is obviously looking to earn some tea-party cred ahead of next year; Grahamnesty hasn’t cared much about that in the past, but maybe he’s finally waking up to it. I don’t know how else to explain his vote.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Budget "deal" passes Congress, enroute to president
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »
    A comparison prepared by the CBO shows that the omnibus spending bill, advertised as containing some $38.5 billion in cuts, will only reduce federal outlays by $352 million below 2010 spending rates. The nonpartisan budget agency also projects that total outlays are actually some $3.3 billion more than in 2010, if emergency spending is included in the total.

The astonishing result, according to CBO, is the result of several factors: increases in spending included in the deal, especially at the Defense Department; decisions to draw over half of the savings from recissions, cuts to reserve funds, and mandatory-spending programs; and writing off cuts from funding that might never have been spent.

And there you have it. Instead of cuts, we get accounting gimmicks.

Link
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »

Yeap, sounds like the government hard at work
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:15:23 PM »
I don't know what pisses me off more, the fact that they're playing us or that they're lying about playing us.

Ultimately, it is of no consequence.  We either get them by the throats or we're done.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:25:28 PM »

I think they know they are only playing a complicit few.
Ultimately, it is of no consequence.  We either get them by the throats or we're done.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:33:16 PM »

What, you think all that gimmickry is easy?!!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »

What, you think all that gimmickry is easy?!!

Wait till they face re-election...or the mob...whichever comes first.  I'm getting to the point where soon I won't give a damn!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.