Author Topic: Greetings from Memphis  (Read 11597 times)

Offline yankeestom

• Newb
Greetings from Memphis
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
Hi all.  Stumbled across this site via the twitter profile of @Roy_Rogers and thought I'd check it out.  I'm an IT manager for a medium-sized medical practice here in Memphis during the day, an 18-year Army National Guard veteran on the weekend, and a 40-year-old father of 4 kids whose mother I'm still married to.  So, I'm a wierdo, but in a good way.  :) 

My favorite pastime is being a constant source of irritation to my liberal family and friends on Facebook.  I'm hoping this will be a good place to find source material for that...

Anyway, greetings and looking forward to getting to know some new friends.

Tom

-Tom
Free Tibet*!

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Greetings from Memphis
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum Tom.

Good ol' Roy.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:59:44 AM »
Welcome!  You'll find some kinship here, as well as some other stuff.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
Well if that makes you a "weirdo" then you can consider this the political equivalent of "The Island of Misfit Toys" LOL

Welcome aboard!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
Welcome, Tom! I've got the same woman after 23 yrs of marriage and 3 boys, so I'm weird, too.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
Any friend of Roy's is a friend of ours!    ::thumbsup::

Welcome aboard!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »

Welcome Tom

My favorite pastime is being a constant source of irritation to my liberal family and friends on Facebook.  I'm hoping this will be a good place to find source material for that...

Yeah, you will find source material for that alright... I have spent the last decade trying to understand and save the liberals in my life from their folly. In so doing I have found many, many ways to annoy them, and if that is your goal have at it.
I humbly submit the following links in hope that they will further you in that pursuit

How to talk to a liberal - written back when I thought there was a point to doing so

A Exam Guaranteed to set up such extreme cognitive dissonance in their heads they will stop speaking to you - (My grade school friends, the groomsmen  at my wedding  kicked me out of their group blog after I had posted just the first portion.. )  Be sure to tell them you are open to having them rephrase the questions or add thier own answers if they think the questions aren't "fair"

Liberals explained in their own words

Racism Explained in thought experiment

and what I consider to be one of my better rants on the subject.

I have written them all  off- and pushed every last one of them out of my life ( including every member of my nuclear family)  and I have never regretted it- for they provided nothing to my life. Nothing. They only took. I therefore feel compelled to point out that "liberal friends" is a oxymoron.

A person who votes to violate your rights, steal your property and point govt guns at your head in order to make you live according to their values and in service of their agenda is not your "friend." Just because they are too cowardly to do the deed themselves, does not absolve them of their guilt - anymore than a person who hires a hit man is absolved of trying to murder someone.  Their so-called  good intentions may make it understandable, but if they really had good intentions they would care when their actions ended up hurting you or others. I assume that you have found that they flippantly dismiss any such accusation and have no intention of dealing good faith.

They do so because they are all suffering from narcissistic personality disorder and perceive you only in the terms of what you can provide to them.  Mostly this takes the form of the "Sanction of the victim" - as they assume that your further association with them is proof that you acknowledge that their deeds are good ( or at least not that bad). Others simply get a warm ego boost of self affirmation just from you disagreeing with them, because for most leftists, such disagreement is actually perceived as proof that they are superior to you..  Cut them off from what they are getting from you and they will drop you - without feeling, without loss and without remorse.  One even told me that "live and let live" is a philosophy that unfairly imposes my beliefs on him - because I have a belief that I and my life  am not his   property to use, sacrifice and abuse as he will if he get a community sanction to do so. .  If you doubt my characterization of these feral cavemen,  and its absoluteness, I suggest you try to discuss the philosophy of   "live and let live" with your liberal "friends" and see if it doesn't lead someplace similar. My own  Mother has chosen to not see me or her Grandchildren rather than admit that her rights end when mine begin,and  to avoid confronting the fact that I am a person, real and whole, with my own wants, desires, rights and beliefs and not some slave held in common by the community/tribe.

These are the people who happily worked at Auschwitz, secure and self-righteous in their knowledge that they were helping the common good by exterminating such evil, greedy, selfish people. They are not, and are incapable of, being your friend or of loving you  because they are incapable of seeing you as a person and not a thing. 

And please don't let my  above expressed  attitudes scare you off from this as a good   forum for you. .  I am definitely on the very extreme and intense side of the folks here (I'm a misfit toy for sure), and the term "liberal friend" is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and one I feel I need to sound warning about if I even suspect someone doesn't know and understand the true nature of such  "friends"  - for I also suspect some very dire times are ahead, and I fear  not having a very clear view of real allegiances and attitudes of those around you   could very rapidly become disastrous.  If such warnings are unwanted or needed I ask for your understanding and forgiveness.

So again, welcome...

Offline yankeestom

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:45:21 PM »

I have written them all  off- and pushed every last one of them out of my life ( including every member of my nuclear family)  and I have never regretted it- for they provided nothing to my life. Nothing. They only took. I therefore feel compelled to point out that "liberal friends" is a oxymoron.

To clarify, my use of the term "liberal friends" there was meant more in the sense of "liberal Facebook friends"; they would be more accurately labeled "tangential acquaintances", and the family member is a semi-insane man that married my wife's aunt.

They do so because they are all suffering from narcissistic personality disorder and perceive you only in the terms of what you can provide to them.  Mostly this takes the form of the "Sanction of the victim" - as they assume that your further association with them is proof that you acknowledge that their deeds are good ( or at least not that bad).

I'm not too worried about that; as I said, one of my favorite pastimes is to be a constant source of irritation to them.  I'm quite confident that they have no misconception as to my view of their beliefs or deeds.  I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I work in sarcasm and snark the way that Rembrandt worked in canvas and paint.
-Tom
Free Tibet*!

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »
So, I'm a wierdo, but in a good way.  :) 

Me too. A little older than you - coming up on 30 years of wedded bliss (well, mostly  ;) ) & 2 kids about to enter college. I teach adult Sunday school @ church & practice the postmodern, alternative lifestyle commonly know as heterosexuality*.

Welcome!

*(categorically, I am considered a male lesbian  ;D)
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:04:47 PM »

To clarify, my use of the term "liberal friends" there was meant more in the sense of "liberal Facebook friends"; they would be more accurately labeled "tangential acquaintances", and the family member is a semi-insane man that married my wife's aunt.

I suspected as much, but broken toy that I am, I have to make sure...

I'm not too worried about that; as I said, one of my favorite pastimes is to be a constant source of irritation to them.  I'm quite confident that they have no misconception as to my view of their beliefs or deeds.

Hey, if you have the patience and attitude for it, more power to ya. Anything that causes them irritation,  pain or suffering I am all for. I used to enjoy the same, but of late its become too serious for me and inflicts a heavier toll on me than it does to them. So I quit.

But feel free to post your best snark in the Member Diary section.  We don't get a lot of trolls here ( and don't want them) but I for one would enjoy hearing of your exploits on  the front lines, since I just can't go there to  engage them like I used to ( I start and then I think, oh right,  the point here is to hurt them, not me..)  But yes,  I can guarantee you are still  feeding them- either sanction of the victim or the "look how this guy disagrees with me, I am so much smarter than him" ego boost, or both.

If you weren't feeding them  they would have unfriended (is that a word now?)   you already, because they can't value you as a person in your own right - only for what you can provide them. Just charge em high for it :)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »
Well if that makes you a "weirdo" then you can consider this the political equivalent of "The Island of Misfit Toys" LOL

Welcome aboard!

Oh, good one, 'Soup.

And, yes, welcome Tom.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 03:34:54 PM »
.......but I work in sarcasm and snark the way that Rembrandt worked in canvas and paint.

You'll do just fine here. ::whoohoo::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 05:52:40 AM »
Yeah, Roy was a veteran of the back to the days of the Powerline debacle. Good times, good times. Sigh

Welcome to our little world where the only sin is not posting enough.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
Welcome Tom, some good people here that will make you welcome
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline yankeestom

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »
What's the Powerline debacle?
-Tom
Free Tibet*!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »
Welcome Tom from a fellow Tennessean.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »

Tom, read "How We Got Here; the Star Wars Edition." It is currently right above your intro in the Index.

We all are a very interesting lot . . .. This explains much of how we evolved. Who our firends are; who we can do without in the conservative blogosphere.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 03:32:49 PM »

Tom, this is a better thread. Some of the "old Guard" here took some time to express their view of the history of our group:

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php?topic=413.0
--------------

Offline OldSailor

• The world is sick and getting sicker.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »
Hi all.  Stumbled across this site via the twitter profile of @Roy_Rogers and thought I'd check it out.  I'm an IT manager for a medium-sized medical practice here in Memphis during the day, an 18-year Army National Guard veteran on the weekend, and a 40-year-old father of 4 kids whose mother I'm still married to.  So, I'm a wierdo, but in a good way.  :)

Not so "weird" bro.  Welcome aboard.

Heh!  That's always fun, especially when I post something there critical of my sister's Messiah, Prez Zero. 
"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »
  HI!   ::curtsy4::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie