Author Topic: Thomas Undoubted  (Read 961 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Thomas Undoubted
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
http://www.redstate.com/2014/01/12/thomas-undoubted/

<Thomas Undoubted

By: Erick Erickson (Diary)  |  January 12th, 2014 at 09:42 PM  |  4

RESIZE:
A

A

A

More often than not, I am a pretty relaxed and laid back person. I don’t really dwell on issues, I rarely hold a grudge, and things that probably should get me worked up just don’t. But lately I’ve been fixated on and can’t stop dwelling on an issue that seems to keep cropping up. Most recently it cropped up with the Duck Dynasty issue.

There are a whole group of Christians who the world never hears from except when they open their mouths to say they’d have done or said something differently. Then you never hear from them again. I almost think they should be called Quisling Christians or some such.

In any event, while most people refer to the Apostle Thomas as “Doubting Thomas,” we need more Thomases. Because Thomas, in an often overlooked portion of the Bible, really wasn’t a doubter. He was undoubted and determined to march with God, even if it meant his death.

In John 11, Lazarus dies. To prove he could fully conquer death and was the risen Lord, Jesus did not go immediately to Mary and Martha, but waited two days. When he finally decided to go, the disciples tried to talk him out of it. “Rabbi, the Jews were just now seeking to stone you, and are you going there again?” they said to him.

But Jesus was undeterred and determined to go to Judea. The Apostle John then tells us,

So Thomas, called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.”

– John 11:16 (ESV)

Thomas was ready to die with his Lord and for his Lord. He was willing to march straight to his death. He actually assumed they would all be killed, but still he was willing.

There are far too many Christians in America trying to accommodate the world. There are far too many Christians trying to separate themselves from their less eloquent, less polished, less put together Christian brethren.

The Apostles were, at essence, a bunch of unpolished rednecks. A tax collector, a hot head who wanted to call down fire on a Samaritan town, and a group of fishermen. They were not upper income, polished, elites. But they served the Lord and preached on after him meeting, in some cases, gruesome deaths. These were not cowards.

And I think that’s exactly what these Quisling Christians amount to. They are cowards. It is not that they would or could say or do anything differently. It is that they prefer no attention or spotlight at all and they resent being pulled into the spotlight for others. Christians are supposed to be the salt and the light of the world. They are to engage in the public square.

The Christian who cannot be bothered to raise his head and voice except to criticize other Christians engaging, should instead be bowing his head and praying for those willing to put themselves out on the ramparts to advance the Kingdom. Thomas was ready to march with with Jesus straight to his death. Ultimately, though much later, he did.

By the sword, by crucifixion, by fire, by rock, by awful means and ways the Apostles were martyred. We should all be prepared to die for Christ that we might live. I fear there may be some Christians who’d rather coast, only engaging the world to make sure the World spares them the shame of the cross. They will not be spared and one day they will be made to care.>
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Thomas Undoubted
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:43:11 AM »
I beg to differ. Christians speak all the time. It's just mostly ignored by the media. I use Billy Graham as an example.

When someone famous speaks about Christianity, then the mocking and crucifying start.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 07:45:04 AM »
Another perspective as it relates to Thomas is taken from this passage of scripture...

Matthew 24:23-26 KJV
Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
[24] For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
[25] Behold, I have told you before.
[26] Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

Thomas, in my humble opinion, was not so much a doubter, as it was that he wanted to be sure he wasn't being deceived. We live in an age where all around us, Christ's message is being twisted and misinterpreted to suit the users needs. I wish we had more "Doubting Thomases" in the church world today. Then some might realize that the gospel has been manipulated to line the pockets of these so-called men of God. But, then again, our culture has been so deeply indoctrinated with the idea that you should never say or do anything that might hurt someones feelings or contradict what they think that it is exceedingly hard to try and help people live a clean life in the sight of God.
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:31:34 AM »
Well said, Eric.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:07:15 PM »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson