Author Topic: Tax Day Cometh  (Read 4822 times)

Offline michelleo

Tax Day Cometh
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:47:50 PM »
Just got done with taxes.   ::cussing::

Makes heading for the hills, raising yaks, and getting paid not to work sound better and better.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: Tax Day Cometh
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:03:08 PM »
I bought my ticket to Atlas Shrugged last night, because I suspect that opening night is going to be huge and I didn't want to risk it being sold out.

How the movie does after the first night depends on whether or not it's any good, of course.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:17:24 PM »

Makes heading for the hills, raising yaks, and getting paid not to work sound better and better.

Here's what you want: a business that is either failing or has not yet taken off.  Gunsmith's official gunsmithing business afforded us refunds as a not-yet-viable concern.

What. a. f**ked. up. country. that such is rewarded.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
I bought my ticket to Atlas Shrugged last night, because I suspect that opening night is going to be huge and I didn't want to risk it being sold out.

How the movie does after the first night depends on whether or not it's any good, of course.

We're going tomorrow night, too.  We'll see ........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:22:03 PM »

Me too... >:(

This was the first time in 28 years that I haven't claimed "head of household". Very odd sensation - also very expensive.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:04:57 AM »
Taxes suck!

::rant::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
<snip>

Look on the bright side. At least the guy didn't have to bend over . . .
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 03:18:48 PM »
I just mailed out the check earlier today and I'm still shell shocked. ::falldownshocked::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 07:45:02 AM »
Fox was touting a witehouse (sic) dot org website where you can go and put in all your personal info and instantly see where your tax dollars go...........

now, why is it all kinds of red flags bells and whistles are going off in my head......... ::foilhathelicopter::

I ain't linking it, and damn sure putting my info in anything that da wun is touting.........

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »
The whole tax code could be scrapped and re-written on a page and a half , typed and triple spaced !   ::angry::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 07:54:31 AM »
Fox was touting a witehouse (sic) dot org website where you can go and put in all your personal info and instantly see where your tax dollars go...........

That sounds like a great idea to me.  Maybe I'll list all the blogs I read while I'm at it.

/
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 08:27:01 AM »
I took a deduction this year I've never done in the past. I used tournament fishing as a second job and wrote off all my expenses.

I've never done this before, this is my hobby and I do not consider it a "job", but my brother and I won several thousand dollars each (team fishing) and we were givin 1099's.Sooooo, taxes had to be paid.

I don't know why, but at first it gave me a weird feeling...like I was doing something wrong. I keep up with all my expendatures anyway and the total is several thousand dollars per year.....Fishing is an expensive hobby...LOL

Saved me some money but honestly, it makes me sad to think, because of our idiotic tax code, I had to consider this and act upon it.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 08:46:50 AM »
I like the Fair Tax

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »
I took a deduction this year I've never done in the past. I used tournament fishing as a second job and wrote off all my expenses.

I've never done this before, this is my hobby and I do not consider it a "job", but my brother and I won several thousand dollars each (team fishing) and we were givin 1099's.Sooooo, taxes had to be paid.

I don't know why, but at first it gave me a weird feeling...like I was doing something wrong. I keep up with all my expendatures anyway and the total is several thousand dollars per year.....Fishing is an expensive hobby...LOL

Saved me some money but honestly, it makes me sad to think, because of our idiotic tax code, I had to consider this and act upon it.

You should think about giving up your "Amateur Status" ...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »

now, why is it all kinds of red flags bells and whistles are going off in my head......... ::foilhathelicopter::

I ain't linking it, and damn sure putting my info in anything that da wun is touting.........

You would probably end up on a possible donor list.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 09:04:20 AM »

So......If I tout myself as professional I can write it off forever? No limitations?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »
Woo hoo!!!
Just finished. Went from owing $600 to $700 refund.
Not quite sure how.
I was using TaxAct.

Predator Don. In order to get no limitations, you may need to form an entity: LLC or Sub S corp.

I am not an accountant nor play one on TV

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 01:01:30 PM »

So......If I tout myself as professional I can write it off forever? No limitations?

I was kidding ... but , I suppose if you wanted to file that way and you showed a loss or just break even in the endeavor you probably could . Check with a good tax lawyer ... preferably one who plays golf .

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »

I was kidding ... but , I suppose if you wanted to file that way and you showed a loss or just break even in the endeavor you probably could . Check with a good tax lawyer ... preferably one who plays golf .

He should be able to write off the boat fuel and equipment and trip expenses.
 Filippo Mazzie