Author Topic: Starbucks' gun free zone working like a charm  (Read 1618 times)

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Starbucks' gun free zone working like a charm
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/crime_checker/baltimore_county_crime/towson-starbucks-robbed-at-gunpoint

Yes, that's twice in the last two weeks but hey, it's working. Perhaps a drive through hold up window where the perp can present a message "I have a gun, so give me the dough and a latte light"
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline OldSailor

• The world is sick and getting sicker.
Re: Starbucks' gun free zone working like a charm
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
I know a pizza joint here in Virginia Beach where a holdup would have about as much chance of success as holding up a gun store ...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2013/feb/19/gun-owners-get-discounts-virginia-beach-pizzeria/

The same story ran in the local birdcage liner and they included a comments section.  Some of the anti-gun loons came absolutely unhinged (surprise surprise surprise SGT Carter!) and their responses were absolutely fun to read.

I really should visit the place to see how good their pizza is.  They aren't that far from where I live.
"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:16:02 AM »
Starbucks...

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »
Recently pit-stopped at a travel center on #95 and had the thermos filled at Starbucks.   If there'd been another choice, we wouldn't have picked that; it did taste burned.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »
Starbucks has terrible coffee. That said they don't ban guns, but rather weasel-worded a discouragement policy. Like Pan, I wouldn't ever go there unless there was no other option - and I'd still carry.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:43:24 AM »
Starbucks has terrible coffee. That said they don't ban guns, but rather weasel-worded a discouragement policy. Like Pan, I wouldn't ever go there unless there was no other option - and I'd still carry.

And I did.

Because concealed means concealed.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
I'm no coffee connoisseur, and I don't care about the source. My wife, however, will kill for a Starbucks.

Whatever trips one's trigger, I guess.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
Recently pit-stopped at a travel center on #95 and had the thermos filled at Starbucks.   If there'd been another choice, we wouldn't have picked that; it did taste burned.

It always tastes buned.Can't stand the sh*t
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »
Not a connoisseur of coffee either.  I do kind of like Kahlua coffee in my Keurig machine though.  I also like Krispy Kreme's house blend.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
I've never ordered a regular coffee at a Starbucks, Caribou, or Dunn Brothers that didn't taste burnt to the point of being undrinkable. I prefer gas station coffee.

I have, however, been gifted bags of freshly ground beans from all three of those places. When I brew it at home, it tastes wonderful. But I don't believe I've ever spent money on a bag of coffee shop coffee.

Normally, I'm a Folger's drinker. I like their version of French Roast, 100% Columbian, and Gourmet Supreme. I also like their Regular Blend. Our local grocery rotates them on sale, and I buy the cheapest.

A generous amount of Coffee Mate Hazelnut non-dairy creamer, and I'm a happy guy.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 10:37:08 PM »
I've never ordered a regular coffee at a Starbucks, Caribou, or Dunn Brothers that didn't taste burnt to the point of being undrinkable. I prefer gas station coffee.

I have, however, been gifted bags of freshly ground beans from all three of those places. When I brew it at home, it tastes wonderful. But I don't believe I've ever spent money on a bag of coffee shop coffee.

Normally, I'm a Folger's drinker. I like their version of French Roast, 100% Columbian, and Gourmet Supreme. I also like their Regular Blend. Our local grocery rotates them on sale, and I buy the cheapest.

A generous amount of Coffee Mate Hazelnut non-dairy creamer, and I'm a happy guy.

Walmart sells 100% Arabica coffee - store brand -- which I prefer, but only in the small cans.  They used to sell the big can, until Arabica got very expensive, and they've only just begun selling it again.  I'm hoping my stocking-up habit encourages them to once again provide the big cans.

We would brew Hazelnut-flavored coffee for special occasions until we used up what we'd bought and then I realized it was giving me headaches.  Ach!  I love Hazelnut in all its permutations, and the raw ones are difficult to get here so I stocked up while in NJ.  One empties the bag onto a cookie sheet and sticks 'em in a 350 degree oven until one can smell them very well.  Voila!  Roasted nuts.  I suppose they can be ground and added to regular coffee.  Hmmm ......   

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 05:24:35 AM »

I've never been in a Starbucks, and never will if I can help it. But I had a SIL give me a pound of Christmas blend from there. Tasted like chit. Mixed it half an half with my coffee and all it did was waste my coffee. Ended up throwing the whole thing away.

This is my coffee.

Or this

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline OldSailor

• The world is sick and getting sicker.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »
Two places where the quality of the coffee surprised me are Denny's (where Mrs used to work) and 7-11.  Denny's has 2 house blends, a "regular" and a "bold."  The "Bold" is just too stout for my taste but the regular is quite good.  7-11 in this area sells quite a lot and is quite good too.

Maybe my tastes are a little off after years of shipboard Navy coffee, 12 hours cooking in the urn made with water flavored with just a hint of diesel marine or jet fuel. 
"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me