Author Topic: Sochi 2014  (Read 6789 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Sochi 2014
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »
Sounds like the opening to a bad joke...

A commie walks into red bar with two pink eyes...

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/medal-detector/bob-costas-appears-to-be-having-a-problem-with-both-of-his-eyes-021014

Some comments are a hoot!

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2014/feb/11/olympics-nbcs-costas-sitting-out-eye-infection/

Oh, and replacing him with Matt Lauer?   ::hysterical::  They already stepped down to start with so I guess going up was not an option so stepping sideways and getting Matty in there is what they call a "save", eh?!

::laughonfloor::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 04:43:13 PM »
Watched the luge competition last night. I don't understand why we have to suck at that. Revealed that this is the first Olympics where we have an actual made in the USA sled. Is it that hard to build a sled? We should be building state of the art high tech sleds that everyone wants to buy. Snowboards are that way. We build state of the art boats for the America's Cup sailing competition. You would think that designing and building a sled could be done by an aerospace firm in a few weekends.

And training? You would also think that we could build an indoor facility for year round training. Maybe we have one...don't know. If we do and we still suck at it then I just don't get it. Bobsledding I can see where that would probably not be practical but luge seems like something that could be done indoors where temperature control would be not so difficult.

The national luge organization actively recruits people to join their sport (unlike USFSA!). There are three facilities with a luge run: Utah, NY and Michigan.  It takes 5 years to learn. You start at the bottom and work your way up. You can't see where you're going.  You drive your sled from memory.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 06:56:54 AM »
Watched the luge competition last night. I don't understand why we have to suck at that. Revealed that this is the first Olympics where we have an actual made in the USA sled. Is it that hard to build a sled? We should be building state of the art high tech sleds that everyone wants to buy. Snowboards are that way. We build state of the art boats for the America's Cup sailing competition. You would think that designing and building a sled could be done by an aerospace firm in a few weekends.

And training? You would also think that we could build an indoor facility for year round training. Maybe we have one...don't know. If we do and we still suck at it then I just don't get it. Bobsledding I can see where that would probably not be practical but luge seems like something that could be done indoors where temperature control would be not so difficult.

The national luge organization actively recruits people to join their sport (unlike USFSA!). There are three facilities with a luge run: Utah, NY and Michigan.  It takes 5 years to learn. You start at the bottom and work your way up. You can't see where you're going.  You drive your sled from memory.

Skeleton might be even more dangerous being face-first, but at least you can see what will kill you...right?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
Duh libiot media...always placing negative emotions above achievement...what dicks!

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/02/awful-nbc-reporter-brings-us-star-skier-bode-miller-to-tears-after-pressing-him-about-brothers-death/

I wonder if Cooper had relatives trying to get statements from burning victims when the Hindenberg exploded...or maybe interviewed some guests at Treblinka before they entered a building from whence they would never return?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
And yet, Miller defended the reporterette. I am glad that in the aftermath he didn't play victim but he didn't have to defend her.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »
Duh libiot media...always placing negative emotions above achievement...what dicks!

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/02/awful-nbc-reporter-brings-us-star-skier-bode-miller-to-tears-after-pressing-him-about-brothers-death/

I wonder if Cooper had relatives trying to get statements from burning victims when the Hindenberg exploded...or maybe interviewed some guests at Treblinka before they entered a building from whence they would never return?

I saw this!  I left the room it was so awful!!! I said to my daughter later of course he was brought to tears the reporter kept hounding him. If she'd left him alone he would have not gotten upset. Later I went to their website to look up the schedule for today and there it was on the first page big banner about Bode getting emotional! They wanted to create a headline!

He may have defended her but that may be because he's a gentleman or else just used to that sort of thing from the press.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »

I saw this!  I left the room it was so awful!!! I said to my daughter later of course he was brought to tears the reporter kept hounding him. If she'd left him alone he would have not gotten upset. Later I went to their website to look up the schedule for today and there it was on the first page big banner about Bode getting emotional! They wanted to create a headline!

He may have defended her but that may be because he's a gentleman or else just used to that sort of thing from the press.

No doubt both.  Man, it would have been hard for me to not turn the tables though.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 07:08:19 AM »
I dunno, maybe it is the old Cold Warrior in me, maybe it is because I see Putin's Russia as being perhaps not as evil an empire as they once were but seeing little difference in their strong-man centralized government ways from their old Commie ways.  Or maybe it is because he is ex-KGB and like The Mob there is never really any leaving it, they'll get rid of you when they have no more use for you, till then you're in for life.

Or perhaps it is because he believes in a Russian version of exceptionalism.  Anyway, as for these games...the final tally means nothing...so long as Russia is not at the top.

“I think our team played very worthily. It seemed to me they were a class higher (than the U.S.), a little bit higher.” - Putin, after Loses in a shootout (mostly to TJ Oshie!) with Team USA.

TJ Oshie of Warroad,MN making Russian goalie Brobrovsky look silly.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
I don't really care except for the fact THEY really care.
Russia has decided that they will no longer allow non-Russian athletes to train in Russia. Okaaay, that just means more athletes will be training in the US.

I do think it's odd how athletes are changing countries (and citizenship) so they can compete in the Olympics.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 06:52:27 AM »
It's big business now LV, it's all about money, PR and ego.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »
"Mmm...foreign athletes are nummy!"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »
I hear the gals lost to Team Canada, ehh!   ::gaah::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 01:51:28 AM »
Yeah, I was pretty sure that the wolf thing was a hoax when I first saw it but with all of the other crazy stuff going on there...
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 02:36:38 AM »
The Ukranian Olympic Team has walked out, not even participating in one event.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 07:39:17 AM »
Can't blame them.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »
Can't blame them.

I honor them for their honesty and integrity.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »
New York bar bans Canadian beer during Olympic hockey semi-final

CTVNews.ca Staff, February 21, 2014 12:00:00 PM

A New York sports bar is taking a stand against Canadian beer, banning Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue and La Fin du Monde during the Olympic men's hockey semi-final on Friday.

Amherst Pizza & Ale House posted a flyer to Facebook and Twitter on Thursday, saying: "We will not be serving Canadian beer during the USA vs Canada men's Olympic hockey game on Friday, 2/21/14. This is a patriotic matter, thanks for your understanding."

John Bona III, owner of the bar, said he wanted to "create a buzz amongst our customers and a little patriotism."

And his decision to ban Canadian beer this year comes after the U.S. men's hockey loss to Canada four years ago in Vancouver -- when the bar was in fact selling beer that day.

Aww, the baby. USA Hockey team lost anyway.   ::pokeineye::

http://www.theloop.ca/news/ctvnews/article/-/a/3324587/New-York-bar-bans-Canadian-beer-during-Olympic-hockey-semi-final