Author Topic: Introducing the 1/8 Project! Downsizing the Federal Government  (Read 7157 times)

Offline richb

• Established Member
Introducing the 1/8 Project! Downsizing the Federal Government
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:19:16 PM »
I posted this originally on my blog.   Since nobody really sees my blog I am re-posting it here. 

Its a proposal on how to save the US by downsizing the federal government back to its constitutional authorized size.   I haven't put much of it on paper yet,  it mostly in my head,  and much work is still needed to flesh it out.   Of course feedback is good,  and here I know I will get good ideas, free from the stupid trolls  ::thumbsup:: 

I will add on to it as time goes on.   I will be looking for ideas on how to make it politically possible,  as that will be the hardest part of it.

Here is the original post.

"""""'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I would like to introduce to the world the1/8 Project.   Well at least the United States part of the world anyway.

What is the 1/8 Project?

Its a plan to downsize the US federal government to its authorized constitutional size.   The founders never envisaged the gigantic size of today's federal government.   For good reason.   Its one of the reasons why it functions so poorly (though no large sized government will truly work well).    They would be horrified by the size,  scope and over reach of the federal government.   I wouldn't be surprised if they would take up arms against it if they somehow came back today.   They would love what citizens have done around the country but would be very disappointed by the government we are stuck with today.

So why the name the 1/8 Project?

I propose that the federal government be downsized to about 1/8 of the size of today's federal government. 

So you think I want to downsize 7/8 of the federal government?

Yup.

That's insane,  think of the children?

It's totally sane,  and I am thinking of the children.   What IS INSANE is the size of the federal government and that only the federal government can do all of the things it does.

So how does this happen?

Well,  no matter how its done,  it will take decades to do.    The federal government is so enormous,  and so many people are dependent for their income from it,  it will take at least a generation to wind it down to size.

Why should we do this?

For the children,  duh!   But yes,  for the future of the US we need to make the federal government affordable to the citizens and taxpayers.   Today's government is unsustainable in the long term.   Someday the credit will be gone and those huge programs will have to end immediately, probably overnight.   The 1/8 Project winds down most of these programs so people can make other plans for the future.   You can't do that when it ends suddenly which will happen at some point.

So where do we start?

There are plenty of ways to start.   I propose to start with the low hanging fruit.   There are lots of things that could end immediately.   A big one would be to repeal Obamacare since it really hasn't begun.    It would help to end the recession that is caused by the uncertainly of the huge amounts of regulation that comes with this really bad law.    But programs like PBS,  NPR, AMTRAK and things like that could be defunded at once with little impact to the majority of taxpayers.   PBS and NPR wouldn't go away even,  they would just have to cut their budgets or raise more private money.

Look for this blog for more parts as time goes on. 

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Introducing the 1/8 Project! Downsizing the Federal Government
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »

Well,  no matter how its done,  it will take decades to do.    The federal government is so enormous,  and so many people are dependent for their income from it,  it will take at least a generation to wind it down to size.

::realitycheck::

We don't have decades. We have at most a decade before someone doesn't get paid. The Chinese? Social Security? Medicare/aid? Welfare? The military? All of the above?  The form of this non-payment will probably be in inflated currency, as rather than admit they can't pay, they will just print up a bunch of dollars thereby devaluing them. Currently when they print up those dollars they are immediately  debt  - because the fed Loans them to us ( isn't that nice of them?)

We are pretty much past the point of no return on this. We are spending 1 Trillion a year more than we have - just as the Federal level. That doesn't include the State and Local Governments.  Nor is this just governments-- the banks are up to their ears in Credit Default Swap overhang and bad debt as well. There pretty much isn't a way to save the system at this point,  and even if the Dems didn't plan to cheat in the elections,  there are too many entitled monkeys who don't want  to return to a Constitutionally limited govt. The point of no return has been passed,  you can see my discussions with Charles Oakwood for the math. ( Where is Charles  anyway?)

Our problem isn't really governmental- we are getting exactly what we vote for. Its societal because our country is composed of the sort of people who will vote for this sort of asinine stupidity.  I think 1/8 sounds great. There is no chane of that happening until the system collapses and these people feel the full reality bitch slap that is coming to them. Then maybe, and just maybe, they MIGHT wake up and change.  Probably not. People in the 3rd world never do. They are still voting for Marxist idiots in Argentina and they already had their collapse.  Japan is still continuing the insanity after 10 years of robbing people of their savings (savings our country doesn't have.. it won't take that long)

The only way the Fed is going to be  reduced to 1/8 its size is when its reduced to 1/8th of its power by the dollar collapse and  armed citizens  who refuse to obey. Plan accordingly. Political solutions will not be forthcoming within the time frame needed evenwith massive GOP victories.( at least with the type of people likely to be in GOP spots) .

You just wanted to give me a chance to use my new smiley didn't you?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
I posted this originally on my blog.   Since nobody really sees my blog I am re-posting it here. 

I've visited your blog a few times. Last time I checked you hadn't posted anything new in a while.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 06:42:16 AM »
Love the idea.  Wish it had caught fire back in the late 80's and put a better heir to RWR than Shrub-I in the WH!!!

:'(

Weisshaupt is right, we'll get to 1/8...probably a lot less, once the Kabuki is over and shyt be ubber real.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:48:31 AM »
Hell, I could get excited if they'd just cut 1/8 out of it

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »
I always seem to post these types of posts just before I get busy for a few days.   So it looks like I have abandoned it it like the blog.   

I will get back to it soon..........I hope......

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »
Speaking of abandonment, where has Kitten Claws been, and Tania?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »
Speaking of abandonment, where has Kitten Claws been, and Tania?

Good question. And Whimsicalmamapig?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson