Author Topic: NATO jerry cans  (Read 10724 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
NATO jerry cans
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »
In any discussion of TEOTWAWKI/SHTF/Prepping people talk about stocking up on certain essentials. Commonly mentioned items are food, water, ammunition, things like that. Fuel is another big one. It's one of those things that requires a functioning industrial supply chain. There's no foraging from the land like you could for food and water. So your only real option is to store it.

I just bought a few of these NATO fuel cans. They're made in the UK by a supplier to the British military, and made to NATO specifications. The inside of the can is coated to protect the metal from corrosion by any water or ethanol in the fuel, and uses a secure locking latch mechanism. Unlike the hardware store plastic gas cans, these will not vent or leak so there is no odor from the fuel. They're very rugged and meant to be used by a mechanized army on the move. I figured those traits make them a perfect choice for long term fuel storage.

Just thought I would share this link to anyone interested. There's a lot of crappy Chinese knockoffs out there, but these are the real deal. If you're looking for authentic NATO fuel cans: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20.cfm

The EPA took some ridiculous California state rules and made them national a few years ago, meaning these cans are technically no longer allowed for fuel storage even though they have been a mainstay of armies since before WWII. I give no credence to that rule whatsoever and intend to do what I want with these cans.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: NATO jerry cans
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
Hard to get quality stuff.  You got yours from the linked outfit?  I'd like something better than the crappy metal one I have from Menards and the cheap plastic buggers from whereverthehell!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »
Thanks, Glock.  We've got a few older metal cans and can use a few more.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
Hard to get quality stuff.  You got yours from the linked outfit?  I'd like something better than the crappy metal one I have from Menards and the cheap plastic buggers from whereverthehell!

Yep I ordered a set of 4 from the linked outfit.  I will post more about them when I get them.  My goal is to, at a minimum, have enough gasoline on hand to fill the tank of my car.  I figure I'll fill them up, mix in some stabilizer, and slowly rotate through them to keep the fuel relatively fresh.

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
To me, it's not so much the storage container as it is the short shelf life of light petroleum (gas, diesel, etc...)
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
Thanks for the link, may have to get a couple just to get rid of the pieces of worthless junk I have now
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 01:50:33 AM »
I just bought a few of these NATO fuel cans. They're made in the UK by a supplier to the British military, and made to NATO specifications. The inside of the can is coated to protect the metal from corrosion by any water or ethanol in the fuel, and uses a secure locking latch mechanism. Unlike the hardware store plastic gas cans, these will not vent or leak so there is no odor from the fuel. They're very rugged and meant to be used by a mechanized army on the move. I figured those traits make them a perfect choice for long term fuel storage.

I brought these to Gunsmith's attention and he noted that the advert says "non-potable water".  From where did you get the above information about made to NATO specs and fuel use?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »

I brought these to Gunsmith's attention and he noted that the advert says "non-potable water".  From where did you get the above information about made to NATO specs and fuel use?

I've been familiar with this particular seller for a while now. They are frequently mentioned on various gun boards and other forums with a survivalist angle.  Here is one, but you'll see these cans discussed in a bunch of other places too: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=655096

The "for non-potable water" disclaimer is because they can no longer be technically sold as fuel canisters, not since 2009 when the EPA deigned to take California's CARB rules national. Same reason you can no longer find a gas can with a vent.

ETA - some additional discussion of these cans here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?89910-Heads-up-on-gas-can-deal
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:55:31 PM by Glock32 »

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
The "for non-potable water" disclaimer is because they can no longer be technically sold as fuel canisters, not since 2009 when the EPA deigned to take California's CARB rules national. Same reason you can no longer find a gas can with a vent.

Yah, I had a feeling that's what that was about, but I said I'd check with you on it.  Thanks for the links, too, Glock.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »
I received my pack of 4 jerry cans today.  I am really impressed with the quality.  Turns out these are made by Valpro, a Latvian company that supplies a bunch of different NATO armies.  They were shipped in their original shipping carton from the factory, which is labeled "20 L fuel cans". There is no question that these are meant for petroleum fuels and any disclaimer about non-potable water is just a wink and a nod from domestic retailers.

Here's a link to the manufacturer with the specifications: http://www.valpro.lv/en/products/steel-cans/military.html

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
Order for four placed.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:02:15 AM »
Cool. I think you will be pleased with them.  I also ordered one of the spouts. I got the fixed rather than flexible type, supposedly the fixed spout is better. It's pretty nifty. Uses the same bayonet type locking lugs as the cap, with the same type of rubber gasket. It comes with a spout holder that screws onto the can and holds the spout between two of the handles when it's not in use.

After looking at how tough and well designed these jerry cans are, I don't know why I ever bothered with those crappy plastic cans with their asinine EPA-mandated spouts. I might be getting some more of these. Never thought I'd get excited about the FedEx man delivering gas cans.

Torture test:

VALPRO jerry can tests
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:10:11 AM by Glock32 »

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
Order for four placed.

Did you get yours yet?  If anyone is interested, I found another supplier at www.jerrycan.com.  They appear to be the same cans, but this place has multiple colors available.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »
Order for four placed.

Did you get yours yet?  If anyone is interested, I found another supplier at www.jerrycan.com.  They appear to be the same cans, but this place has multiple colors available.

I did get them, and they're everything they're supposed to be -- so far.  Haven't filled them yet, but I figure they'll be fine.

I wish I had thought to get a couple of spouts, too, so I have to order them.

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Glock.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 11:45:19 PM »
I haven't filled mine yet either.  I'm sort of thinking about waiting until I can go to a station that sells ethanol-free fuel.  Either way, I'll be adding a stabilizer when I fill them.  I read a few other forums about long term fuel storage, and a lot of people were recommending a fuel stabilizer called Star Tron. I found it at Lowe's, and I think Wal-Mart carries it as well. People were saying it works better than Stabil for longer term storage.

On mine, I put a 6" strip of red reflector tape on the side of the cans. I figure that will serve as a good enough indicator that it's gasoline. I might pick up a couple of cans from the other seller (jerrycan.com) in blue and yellow in case I need to store kerosene and diesel.

When you look at these cans you can tell a lot of thought was put into their design and construction. The air void at the top, behind the handles, is above the mouth of the spout so it's impossible to fill the can so much that it doesn't pour smoothly. The air void was also designed to be large enough to make a full can buoyant if it falls into water. I just appreciate ingenious, deceptively simple design like that.

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »
I ordered one of the red cans from jerrycan.com and received it this week.  It's just like the others other than the color.  Here are some pics of what you will receive if you order these.  They're very robust cans, and would be much better for SHTF purposes than the plastic ones.

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 03:24:46 PM »
Nice.  These are definitely on my "list"!   ::thumbsup::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »
Heads up:  these are on sale now.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:01 PM »
Thanks!  I got to get an order in before I forget!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »
Cheaper here
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/us-military-surplus-style-20l-5-1-4-gal-jerry-can-olive-drab.aspx?a=984598
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/us-military-style-20l-5-1-4-gal-jerry-can-olive-drab.aspx?a=904142

Its where I got mine.  I was doing a large enough order I joined the "club"
lots of other useful stuff. Surgical kit. Bathtub shaped water storage.  Sand bags...