Author Topic: I have a P.hd so watch me convince you of something that isn't true.  (Read 846 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
ASTOUNDING: 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + ... = -1/12

I wonder if they are teaching this Bullsh*t on purpose to make sure nothing useful can happen in the field of physics.  I can only hope that this ISN'T they way that they are teaching it and this is just some egoistic jerk trying to make himself look smart.

As they said on Big Bang Theory. "The best you can say about anyone's String theory is that its  internally consistent "

The problem is in his very first step. he writes it as a series.. but then declares the sum of the Series to be an average.
The sum of a  MATHEMATICAL SERIES not an AVERAGE. _ At no point in that first series could you stop it (even at an infinite point)  and have 1/2 - it will still be zero or one.  Now perhaps saying the average of that series is 1/2  very useful in physics, as you might have all sort of quantum values ( that essentially go between state one and state two with some probability Y) can effectively and usefully be reduced to an average.   

So in the first  step he take s the average but fails to write the result AS an average. Its the AVERAGE of S1 he is dealing with, NOT  S1.   An average mathematically expressed is SUM(N1,N2,N3,N4) /<number of N>  - which in a string of ones and zeros will be 1/2  Hurrah.
But  you want to pass the course right? So you better start acting like  a series is the same thing as the sum of that series. So what you get is a bunch of very smart people diverting their  energy and intelligence into looking at systems based on a false premise - that a infinite summation  can (always - at least pertaining to String theory physics and the phenomena it seeks to explain)  be accurately expressed by an average of the sum.

I haven't studied string theory, but if they are using this obviously wrong ( not counter intuitive) calculation as the basis of it, no wonder there is no way to test a damn thing. Its all imaginary and made up. I can only assume this is because someone in the government wanted to stall any useful work in the field of physics.

Now, I am sure there is a Physicist out there who disagrees,  and they are welcome to take a shot at correcting my ignorance.   I only know Math you see.  But I fear at best this video is a gross mis-characterization  of the  actual math being taught, and at worst its sabotage of young minds.  Yes I understand that Light comes in Quanta., and its sometimes a wave ( sorta-kinda like an infitie summation)  and at others a particle ( a Zero or a One)  but I also understand that both the concept of a wave and the concept of a particle are HUMAN CONSTRUCTS. Models that we use to think about this thing we are observing. Its entirely possible that the thing we are observing is neither, and that both models are wrong.  The fact that it behaves one way in one circumstance and another in another,  it almost clinching proof of it.  Its also useful to keep in mind that a model can be wrong ( Bohr atom, or the really complexe machines that calculated the epicyles and retrograde motion of the planets..) 

Just because a model yields accurate answers is no proof its an accurate representation of reality.
And yes, 1+2+3+4...+N  does not equal -1/12 because it is not  (1+2+3+4+5+...+N)/N
and I don't need a Doctorate in String Theory to know it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:24:16 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: I have a P.hd so watch me convince you of something that isn't true.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:58:20 PM »
And hey, an ancient sophist once argued that nothing can ever travel from point A to point B because the number of intermediate points is infinite.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
I spend a little time on an ambient music site (computer & synth generated sounds) and during a discussion someone mentioned, out of the blue, that the "latest" in Quantum Physics had the earth & us as a hologramic projection...OR code from a creator's thought patterns...

...and I basically told them that that sounded like a whole lotta' bullsh*t & grasping @ straws - though I did mention that the "creator" was more than likely God & then asked them why they went to such lengths to avoid a theological foot into the door of their explanations?

No answer was proffered.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:57 PM »
I spend a little time on an ambient music site (computer & synth generated sounds) and during a discussion someone mentioned, out of the blue, that the "latest" in Quantum Physics had the earth & us as a hologramic projection...OR code from a creator's thought patterns...

...and I basically told them that that sounded like a whole lotta' bullsh*t & grasping @ straws - though I did mention that the "creator" was more than likely God & then asked them why they went to such lengths to avoid a theological foot into the door of their explanations?

No answer was proffered.

My Favorite one of those is Hawking's entire dimension added to the universe to explain how we can see a universe expanding in all directions and NOT be at the center, because the evidence suggests that we are.. .

The hologram thing.. yeah, that might be true. Why couldn't God's Creation be a multidimensional  hologram? With every second of this existence  on a single plane somewhere. I have often thought that God must see us that way - since he sees an entire life all at once, and doesn't see parts of it- that he has to project it, make it occur in time to see it they way we see it.  That the universe is a work of art, suitable for framing, makes perfect sense to me.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 10:53:28 PM »
PhD doesn't mean "piled higher & deeper" for nothing you know...............

I know far too many idiot PhD's.   Unfortunately one of them was my grade school principal.............and no, I didn't decide he was an idiot until many years later.    He goes to my former church, and is a nice enough guy,  but smart,,,,,,,,,  not really.   Now the guy who owned a garbage truck company,   now that was a smart guy.   Didn't finish high school,  but so much more smart.     

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 07:06:33 AM »
It's clowns like this that should have the real laws of physics demonstrated on their cranium.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.