Author Topic: Nearly Half of U.S. Meat Tainted With Drug-Resistant Bacteria  (Read 1037 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Nearly Half of U.S. Meat Tainted With Drug-Resistant Bacteria
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »
Another reason for me to go directly to the source and bypass grocery stores!

::puke::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
I vividly remember oldsters eating raw hamburger when I was a kid. Can't imagine doing it now.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »

Ah, they get a new meter and then discover things that have always been there.

More for me at the discount bin.

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
I still like rare hamburgers, just won't order them that way anymore.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:31:08 AM »
The good news is, as long as you cook the meat properly those superbugs are still killed dead as a doornail by good old fashioned heat.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
I vividly remember oldsters eating raw hamburger when I was a kid. Can't imagine doing it now.

"Steak tartare".  My grandfather was a butcher, per Mom, he ground the beef himself, chopped onion up right in it, added S&P, and slapped it on Italian bread.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 01:00:25 PM »

"Steak tartare".  My grandfather was a butcher, per Mom, he ground the beef himself, chopped onion up right in it, added S&P, and slapped it on Italian bread.

Steak tartare is definitely different from ground hamburger because steak tartare is, well, freshly ground steak, while hamburger is ground god knows what ground god knows when.  Steak tartare with Tabasco, Worchestershire, raw egg, capers, raw onion, and toast points.  That's a fairly modern dish that can now only be found in historical cookbooks.  Joe Allen's, in NYC's theater district, was famous for its Steak Tartare.  Key word:  was.

I hear so many warnings on cooking shows about hamburger.  They say to let beef come to room temperature for up to a half an hour before cooking -- except hamburger.  And they're adamant about that.  I never heard such a warning when I was a kid.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »

Ask Mozart about the pork chops.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »

Steak tartare is definitely different from ground hamburger because steak tartare is, well, freshly ground steak, while hamburger is ground god knows what ground god knows when.  Steak tartare with Tabasco, Worchestershire, raw egg, capers, raw onion, and toast points.  That's a fairly modern dish that can now only be found in historical cookbooks.  Joe Allen's, in NYC's theater district, was famous for its Steak Tartare.  Key word:  was.

I hear so many warnings on cooking shows about hamburger.  They say to let beef come to room temperature for up to a half an hour before cooking -- except hamburger.  And they're adamant about that.  I never heard such a warning when I was a kid.

Which is why I put it in quotation marks.

For those who are immensely concerned about meat pathogens in hamburger, even grinding steak yourself, then, is no panacea because there's always a chance the surface of the meat has been contaminated; grinding it up just mixes it up throughout the meat in that case.

As for myself, I'm not too worried about it.  We'll cook and eat med-rare burgers at home and have done so for some time with no ill effect.  NC passed a law years ago making it illegal for restaurants to serve burgers cooked any way other than well-done, so, bleh.

I'm very careful about handling chicken, though, and eggs.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
As a kid, I remember the warnings about cooking pork; never heard that much about handling chicken.  Now it's the reverse.

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »
Not if you shoot and process your own game! ::rockets::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow