Author Topic: 1793: Jacobin Jean-Paul Marat Assassinated  (Read 5300 times)

charlesoakwood

1793: Jacobin Jean-Paul Marat Assassinated
« on: April 15, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »

“It is now sixteen or seventeen years since I saw the queen of France, then the dauphiness, at Versailles, and surely never lighted on this orb, which she hardly seemed to touch, a more delightful vision. . . . I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone.

“That of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished forever. Never, never more shall we behold that generous loyalty to rank and sex, that proud submission, that dignified obedience, that subordination of the heart which kept alive, even in servitude itself, the spirit of an exalted freedom. The unbought grace of life, the cheap defense of nations, the nurse of manly sentiment and heroic enterprise, is gone! . . .

“All the decent drapery of life is to be rudely torn off. . . .

“On this scheme of things, a king is but a man, a queen is but a woman; a woman is but an animal, and an animal not of the highest order.

“On the scheme of this barbarous philosophy, which is the offspring of cold hearts and muddy understandings, and which is as void of solid wisdom as it is destitute of all taste and elegance, laws are to be supported only by their own terrors and by the concern which each individual may find in them from his own private speculations or can spare to them from his own private interests.”
    – Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France

H/T: The Other McCain

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: 1793: Jacobin Jean-Paul Marat Assassinated
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
Why you old romantic you... ::kissface::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
 ::)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:59:31 AM »
Need to post  "The Death of Marat" by David ... Nice painting !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.