Author Topic: Obama Carpet Bombs Guam With Toxic Mice  (Read 620 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Obama Carpet Bombs Guam With Toxic Mice
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
Well, he almost certainly didn't personally give the order but, hey, it makes for a fun thread title.

I'm in favor of this move, though, because I pretty much universally hate invasive, non-native species. Fire ants come immediately to mind, quickly followed by Africanized bees and Kudzu. There are lots more examples, unfortunately. I read just last week that in another generation or two there will be no more Florida oranges due to an imported disease that apparently cannot be controlled or killed.

So, when I hear that there is an opportunity to wipe out one of these things I like to hear about it. And you would think that our media would be interested in chatting it up, too. But no, this story comes to us from Russian media for some reason...

When all other efforts to cull a teeming population of snakes failed, US officials in Guam called in air support. On Sunday, approximately 2,000 dead mice pumped full of Tylenol were dropped across the island in an effort to eliminate a species of snake that officials say is responsible for inflicting millions of dollars of damage.

Dan Vice, a Wildlife Services biologist with the US Department of Agriculture who has worked on the project for more than a decade, said the mice filled with 80 mg of acetaminophen are used to kill the invasive brown tree snake population that was accidentally introduced to the island around 60 years ago.

A pilot project involving 280 mice dropped in a similar manner was conducted in 2010, and the success of that project allowed for the official aerial bait drops that began in September 2013.

The drops, including research, cost a total of $1.5 million, with funding coming from the Department of the Interior and the Department of Defense.

The total budget nationally for the project is $8 million.

An estimated one to two million snakes live around the island, Vice said, making the aerial bait drops the most effective and efficient way of controlling the population while not affecting other animals on Guam like deer and pigs.

Brown tree snakes have an Achilles' heel: Tylenol.

For some reason, the snakes are almost uniquely sensitive to acetaminophen, the active ingredient in the ubiquitous over-the-counter painkiller. If you can get a tree snake to eat just 80 milligrams, you can kill it. That's only about one-sixth of a standard pill - pigs, dogs and other similarly sized animals would have to eat about 500 of them to get into any trouble. Brown tree snakes also love mice.

Helicopters make low-altitude flights over the base's forested areas, dropping their furry bundles on a timed sequence. Each mouse is laced with the deadly microdose of acetaminophen and strung up to two pieces of cardboard and green tissue paper.

LINK (this story was written in December of last year but, hey, still cool...toxic mouse bombing)
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Obama Carpet Bombs Guam With Toxic Mice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »
finally a use for mice
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Obama Carpet Bombs Guam With Toxic Mice
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:03:38 AM »
My father was stationed there in the 50's...nobody went anywhere near the jungle...it would be either the unexploded ordnance or the snakes that would get you.

*100% in favor of pest elimination, especially illegal imports!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.