Author Topic: 134 Freeway crash: Van Nuys High School custodian killed in Eagle Rock  (Read 882 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
134 Freeway crash: Van Nuys High School custodian killed in Eagle Rock
Sunday, January 26, 2014

Amy Powell

EAGLE ROCK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A father and Van Nuys High School custodian was killed in a wrong-way crash involving a suspected drunk driver in Eagle Rock early Sunday.

Salvador Orellana, 53, was in a car with his 20-year-old son, Kirk, travelling on the 134 Freeway around midnight when a suspected drunk driver going the wrong way crashed head-on into their vehicle.

Orellana survived the head-on crash, only to be hit by another car while standing on the 134 Freeway.

"They were trying to talk to the driver and then another car came and struck them. They were in the middle of the freeway. I guess when it struck them my father flew," said Orellana's daughter, Karen Orellana.

She said her father and brother got out of the car because the 60-year-old DUI suspect was trying to get away.

"He was trying to escape," she said. "It's just really sad to know that somebody that was not conscious was drinking, driving, caused this."

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=9407860
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: 134 Freeway crash: Van Nuys High School custodian killed in Eagle Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »
At least the idiot didn't get away. 

Sucks for the families though, not much good news for them.

Another good reason to drink the old fashioned way - alone and in the dark, can only hurt myself that way.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:02:48 PM »
Sigh.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »

Another good reason to drink the old fashioned way - alone and in the dark, can only hurt myself that way.

I do my best drinking at home....or within walking distance of where I'm sleeping.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »

I do my best drinking at home....or within walking crawling distance of where I'm sleeping.

FIFY
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:16 PM »
If it wasn't such a problem for emergency vehicles (which may need to drive the wrong way down a ramp,  we may have to start installing wrong way tire flattening devices on all interstate ramps.    People just ignore signs even when not impaired.  Granted that won't stop every wrong way driver,  but at least it would slow them down a bit.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:25:36 PM »

I do my best drinking at home....or within walking crawling distance of where I'm sleeping.

FIFY

I try to limit my drinking to a stumble. Sometimes I'm successful.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 07:20:21 AM »
If it wasn't such a problem for emergency vehicles (which may need to drive the wrong way down a ramp,  we may have to start installing wrong way tire flattening devices on all interstate ramps.    People just ignore signs even when not impaired.  Granted that won't stop every wrong way driver,  but at least it would slow them down a bit.

Obviously the liability issue is a thorny thicket nobody wants to wade into, no matter the body count.  Lawyers, they the bomb or what?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.