Author Topic: Atlas Shrugged  (Read 10924 times)

charlesoakwood

Atlas Shrugged
« on: April 15, 2011, 07:21:37 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/rand_old_time_for_ayn_adherents_yK8YmADIKXJ6ARzqRpPotN

Though a bit stiff in the joints and acted by an undistinguished cast amid TV-movie trappings, this low-budget adaptation of Ayn Rand's novel nevertheless contains a fire and a fury that makes it more compelling than the average mass-produced studio item.

The movie covers only the first third of the book and ends on a cliffhanger without fully resolving its central question: "Who is John Galt?" -- a shadowy figure who seems to be linked to the disappearance of many leading business figures.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/04/15/will-conservatives-make-atlas-shrugged-a-hit/

distributed by entrepreneur John Aglialoro, chairman of UM Holdings Inc, the film “Atlas Shrugged, Part 1? was budgeted under $10 million

While advance interest in the film may be high among the film’s conservative base, reviews have been terrible. For example, Rotten Tomatoes lists more than 5,000 user ratings with a total of 86% saying they “like it,” while the critics’ average is a disastrous 7%. (Only two movies, “Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son” and “The Roommate” rate lower.)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Atlas Shrugged
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
It's not at my local theater yet. I hope it gets here soon.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
I just got back. I loved it, to my great relief. I was pretty skeptical when I first heard about it. The audience applauded at the end, so I know I wasn’t the only one who liked it.

My major disappointment was the size of the audience. The theater was only 1/3 full. I had bought my ticket a couple of days ago because I thought there was a possibility it might sell out.

I’m going to see it again tomorrow night. That’s been my plan for a couple of weeks if I liked it. This movie needs to be a success. Our country needs for it to be a success. I’m doing what I can to give it a big opening weekend. The timing of this movie’s release could not have been better.

Incidentally, Ayn Rand had a few things to say about critics in The Fountainhead.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
I wanted to go today. Is there a site where they list the theatres by state where it's playing???
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »
I wanted to go today. Is there a site where they list the theatres by state where it's playing???

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/theaters

It's only playing in six theaters so far in Pennsylvania.  Luckily, one of them is five minutes from my house.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline michelleo

Atlas Shrugged
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »
Went to the 4:45 showing.. Well Done.  Certainly not the made for tv movie people were accusing it of being. 

And I came home and read about an event that could very well have been a scene from the movie: 5 teens charged in brutal attack on talent show rival. How dare the biotch have more talent than me!!! We gonna beat you to a bloody pulp with our padlock in a sock.  It's all in the spirit of the Equalization of Opportunity Act, ya know.

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »
I heard that there was going to be three movies done on Ayn Rand books. Or, was Atlas shrugged going to be broken down into three movies.
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline michelleo

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 09:30:18 PM »
It's going to be Atlas Shrugged in 3 parts.  This was part 1, and I'd highly recommend it.

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
It's going to be Atlas Shrugged in 3 parts.  This was part 1, and I'd highly recommend it.

You may have been asked this before. But, are you the same MichelleO from PL?
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 09:59:13 PM »
Can't wait to see this movie. I pray that it serves as a warning away from what might be rather than a harbinger of what will surely be.

ETA: Hope the thread-merge is satisfactory to Charles and Michelle. I'll invariably merge them in chronological order, and then make a judgment call as to the category. I was tempted to leave it in "general" because the film has the potential of being more of a cultural event of interest to conservatives than mere entertainment. But it is a movie, so I chose "entertainment".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:01:33 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »

It's only playing in six theaters so far in Pennsylvania.  Luckily, one of them is five minutes from my house.

Thanks Rick!!Looks like the closest to me is about 65 miles away. Let's see what the wife has to say or I may be going it alone.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »

It works for me, thanks Rickl.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »
Where I live the nearest multiplex is an hour's drive, JF, so hang in there.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
Where I live the nearest multiplex is an hour's drive, JF, so hang in there.

I'm going to try and go tomorrow like I said let's see wha the boss lady has to say.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 12:39:34 AM »
Went to the 4:45 showing.. Well Done.  Certainly not the made for tv movie people were accusing it of being. 

And I came home and read about an event that could very well have been a scene from the movie: 5 teens charged in brutal attack on talent show rival. How dare the biotch have more talent than me!!! We gonna beat you to a bloody pulp with our padlock in a sock.  It's all in the spirit of the Equalization of Opportunity Act, ya know.

We went to the 7:55 pm showing in Cary, NC and it was sold out.  So, we bought tickets for the 10:15 pm show and went for dinner in the meantime.  The late show was half full, and we all applauded, too.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 12:40:48 AM »

Thanks Rick!!Looks like the closest to me is about 65 miles away. Let's see what the wife has to say or I may be going it alone.

Go here

http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/demand

and tell the theatre you want the film shown.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 08:28:19 AM »
I probably won't be allowed to spend the money at a real cinema unless it hits the drive-in
But, I would love to see it

Offline michelleo

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 08:48:22 AM »

You may have been asked this before. But, are you the same MichelleO from PL?

Why, yes, I am.  And my husband is Weisshaupt, who you may remember as well.  It's very nice being back with the old gang.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:14:40 AM »
I don't know what your viewings were like, but my theatre couldn't show Atlas Shrugged without some good leftie proselytizing before hand.  The previews they showed were 1) a documentary on the evils of brand advertising in movies by the director of SuperSize Me - "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold", and 2) A Better Life - a woe-is-me story about an illegal immigrant who's truck is stolen and can't go to the police for fear of being deported.

Which reminds me of a story one of Weisshaupt's friends told us about his sister who lives near Palm Springs (Desert Springs or Palm Desert?)....her van was stolen out of her driveway in broad daylight.  When she called the police they said they knew who did it, but, he was part of a gang and if she chose to press charges, they couldn't protect her from retaliation from the gang.  (I guess if that were a movie, it would be called "A Worse Life"?!)  Our advise to him was tell his sister to put her house up for sale now and get the heck out of Dodge.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
The last movie I saw in a theater was Team America: World Police when that came out, so it was a few years ago; don't remember exactly when.

There was an interminable series of commercials and previews.  The only one I remember in particular was about a black transvestite called Madea, who was slapping the hell out of his/her children for being sassy.  Perfect intro to a movie about an Ayn Rand novel, right?  I'm sure everyone in the theater marked that one on their calendar.
~ Ann Barnhardt