Author Topic: Conservative backlash against radio station schedule change  (Read 1170 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
WOWO radio makes changes after conservative backlash

I've listened to the station online after discovering it on my drives to Hillsdale College in Michigan. I liked hearing about Indiana politics. The host that followed Rush often talked about his attendence at conservative, and especially pro-life, events.  He disappeared from the air about a month ago.  The host who replaced him was boring (and according to the article he wanted to be more inclusive).  I found something else to listen to but on occassion I left the station on as I was doing something else at the moment.  Last week I heard this host blasting local conservatives for starting a website designed to complain about him and his less than conservative views and questioning whether the station was trying to move away from its identity.  I thought more power to these folks!  Conservative listeners made this station and now they were being treated just like conservatives always get treated.

In the end the new host got the boot. Now they are airing Hannity. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Conservative backlash against radio station schedule change
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »
Director of Programming operations Gregg Henson, who replaced Pat Miller in the 3 p.m. - 6 p.m. time slot last month and made no secret of his intention to attract a more inclusive audience, was replaced Friday by Sean Hannity, the nationally syndicated host previously aired at 6 p.m.

Codes words for moderates/liberal republicans/RINOs...crap we don't need and crap the good conservatives of this area said "hell no!" to. 

::thumbsup::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
Something similar happened to our AM station out of Raleigh several weeks ago.  It was preceded by whatever conglomerate that runs Rush, Hannity and Coast to Coast (Clear Channel?) pulling the shows, leaving them to rearrange the schedule. I used to listen to the local conservative at 3PM, after Rush, and the station rescheduled his show so I only caught the last two hours -- which turned into mostly traffic, weather and "news" -- and then he was moved altogether to a sister AM station that doesn't tune in well at my house. 

As for "the local conservative", the program director had already set about ruining his show by having "liberal" guests on three times a week, for "balance" I presume.  I hope they got what they wanted; they lost me.

The station now runs traffic, weather and "news" all afternoon, so I can't imagine who the heck listens and I hope they caught hell for it.  And I hope the program director got fired.

One of the reasons we got XM Radio is because on the weekends and during basketball season, there was nothing on the radio worth listening to.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »

One of the reasons we got XM Radio is because on the weekends and during basketball season, there was nothing on the radio worth listening to.

I don't have XM, but I've found when I need a laugh while working in the yard during the week-end, NPR fills the bill.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »
We have two conservative radio options in the Twin Cities - the Salem station, which offers the Bennett/Gallagher/Prager/Medved/Hewitt lineup, and the Clear Channel station, which offers local (former gov candidate Tom Emmer/Beck/Limbaugh/Hannity/Lewis lineup.

Until a few months ago, the Clear Channel station was FM, on a powerful bandwidth and high wattage tower. The Salem station has always been AM.

The CC station inexplicably traded with the local AM sports programming station. Now the conservative CC station can barely be heard in some parts of the metro, and certainly not far out of it.

They received many complaints, to no avail. From a pure free market perspective, that would indicate that either the ratings weren't there to justify the strong FM signal, the sports station was in higher demand, the conservative programs do well enough to suffer the reduced coverage, or some combination of those.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »

Or they are scared of the regulators.

Unless I'm in a vehicle I just listen via computer.  They should
all do as Levin does and allow downloading.  Hey radio guy,
allow me to download and I'll listen to your commercials. OK?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »
Where I live there is no talk radio available.

None.

For many years I had to listen to very weak, very faint AM stations from very far away if I wanted to hear Limbaugh or anyone else.

A couple of years ago, though, I discovered internet radio.

At first I used the radio feature that is included in iTunes. It was okay.

Then I found IHeartRadio and TuneInRadio. They are better. And there are mobile apps that work with my iPhone so now I am never without talk radio.

*And, yeah, I have XM but it doesn't have Limbaugh.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:16:52 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »
I'm always listening when I'm in a vehicle, but I get the most enjoyment out of it when I'm working in the garage.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »
update:

so after airing Hannity for a bit WOWO hired another conservative to take the 3-6 pm slot
they've announced that beginning in January Pat Miller will return to his old time slot

(the programming director Gregg Henson was fired)

I have no doubt that the reaction from listeners affected the outcome
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »
If only politics operated that way...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:46 PM »
From a pure free market perspective, that would indicate that either the ratings weren't there to justify the strong FM signal, the sports station was in higher demand, the conservative programs do well enough to suffer the reduced coverage, or some combination of those.

That has to be the case. I know waaaaay too many men who can name EVERY friggin' player in the NFL but can't name ONE Supreme Court Justice. ::bashing::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson