Author Topic: Windows Phone?  (Read 1080 times)

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Windows Phone?
« on: January 30, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »
After nearly 4 years, I'm thinking of retiring my Blackberry.

I don't want an iPhone as I detest iTunes - (I need a system where I can see my phone's OS & ad/subtract at will)
& Android doesn't thrill me.

Does anyone have or have experience with the Nokia Lumia Windows 1520 phone? I could use my BB for another year...so I'm in no rush.

Thanks!
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Windows Phone?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:39:16 PM »
I'm on my 2nd Lumina 822. I destroyed the first one. And yes - it made me feel better as I beat it to shreds.

I've had a variety of phones over the years but never anything billed as so smart that was so stupid.

I miss my crackberry.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:53:04 AM »
I'm on my 2nd Lumina 822. I destroyed the first one. And yes - it made me feel better as I beat it to shreds.

I've had a variety of phones over the years but never anything billed as so smart that was so stupid.

I miss my crackberry.

Reminds me of this -    ::hysterical::

And yeah, as far as these damned phones go I doubt there is "the one" out there that won't piss me off somehow!   ::pullhair::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:45:52 PM »

And yeah, as far as these damned phones go I doubt there is "the one" out there that won't piss me off somehow!   ::pullhair::

I hear there's a new app in development that'll actually piss on the user.  ;D

I took a test drive of Verizon's 928 Nokia Lumina today - but was told the 929 is out in, like....2 weeks. So, since I'm eligible for a "free" ($50 bucks) upgrade...I'll bide my time w/the crackberry (which I will retain & use via Wi-Fi).
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
Caution - unlike the 822, the 928 doesn't have a removable battery. so when the friggin thing locks up (and it WILL lock up) you have to drain the battery before you can "reboot" it.

Sweet

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 05:22:51 PM »
I love dumb phones. Mine flips.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 05:50:58 PM »
I love dumb phones. Mine flips.

my smart phone died but not before pieces kept falling off of it

I went back to my old Sony Erickson slider--takes great pictures, music sounds good but alas the manager for my daughter's team likes to send out last minute emails and assumes everyone has a smart phone...I can get a "free" smartphone with a larger screen if I take to time to look at them. My dh favors the blackberry, my kids like the iphone.  I don't care. Whatever I can get for free and little effort.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
Sorry, but I love my iPhone. It is the first cell phone of any kind that I have ever owned that did not fall apart after two years regardless of how well I took care of it. It is a quality piece of hardware. iTunes doesn't bother me. Do what you want but as for me I will never go back to cheap, crappy plastic phones.

Now...that said, there isn't a phone made that has yet to overcome the one great weakness of ALL cell phones: crummy battery life. You will know that battery technology has come of age when you can charge your phone in five minutes and then use it for two weeks. That technological leap will also allow electric cars to be practical.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 03:05:22 AM »
I have my first IPhone. I don't use it for music or amy of the other stuff. I use it to make and receive phone calls, and for a text about once a month. As for photos, it does fine, but I prefer my Fuji digital SLR.

I also use it to check on the weather.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 10:18:21 PM »
I finally went to a non contract phone.    I was tired of the big bill ($80+ monthly) that comes with a individual contract smart phone (at&t and iphone).   The service was not worth the premium.    In fact the service was terrible.   So when the iphone got destroyed by water last year,  the two year contract was thankfully up.   

Consider that "free" phone is pretty expensive,  especially if you keep it longer then the contract, because you are still paying for it as long as you use it, the bill doesn't get lower after the phone has been "paid for".    For example,  my brother has a iphone 3gs,  which is an old phone.    So he has basically paid for it about 3 times now. 

I decided,  no more contracts,  there is nothing in it for the consumer, outside of not having to buy a phone at the beginning of the contract.    Most people don't consider that contract phones aren't actually "free" and the over all higher price of the monthly plan reflects that.

I now pay less then half of what I paid before.   I ended up with Virgin Mobile,  which doesn't have its own system but uses Sprint.  Amazingly,  the data works better with my non contract phone then my expensive contract one.    You have to buy the phone at the beginning.    I didn't have the $650 for the latest iphone,  but they have older iphones at lower prices (they are still new phones).   I ended up with a iphone 4 since it does everything I wanted, and was still newer then the iphone I broke.    Just because they aren't the "newest" phones doesn't mean they aren't fine,  it was still a new phone out of the box, never used. 

So instead of paying over $1,000 for smart phone service this year,  I will pay less then $400 (I bought the iphone 4 last year so it is paid for).