Author Topic: U.S. hospitals hit with shortage of intravenous saline  (Read 665 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
U.S. hospitals hit with shortage of intravenous saline
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
Manufacturers first notified FDA late last year that they expected delays in filling orders, but an increase in hospitalizations two weeks ago partly due to rising numbers of flu cases exacerbated the problem, she said.

Due partly to the flu; what's the other part?

Leave it to the commies to run out of salt water.  They'd create a sand shortage in the desert.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-hospitals-hit-shortage-intravenous-saline-223426357--sector.html;_ylt=AwrBEiKkOOhSBmoAFufQtDMD
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: U.S. hospitals hit with shortage of intravenous saline
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Wow, in the industry and did not hear this, no surprise though, not the kind of thing they want to be generally known.  Kinda makes you wonder what else has been allowed to run low, don't it?  Also highlights what I always knew...hospitals will be way overwhelmed if a serious calamity were to strike their area...I mean where hundreds, thousands of wounded were needing attention.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
FDA's Jensen said the agency is also looking into alternative sources, including overseas suppliers, to help address the shortage.

yeah, give me that saline!

::facepalm::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »
Saline, melamine, what's the diff?

/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
A big portion of saline is made by Baxter Pharmaceutical, and as I recall they also got into trouble for using a drug of ultimately Chinese origin that caused problems during some baby deliveries.  Seems there was even some famous person affected by it, but I can't remember now.

But yeah, let's bring on some Chinese saline!

ETA: the drug was heparin and the famous person was Dennis Quaid. His newborns were given a dose 1,000 times the normal dose due to the two versions of the drug being labeled too similarly.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:41:38 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly