Author Topic: Yahoo email account passwords stolen  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Yahoo email account passwords stolen
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:12:24 AM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TEC_YAHOO_SECURITY_BREACH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-01-30-17-30-01

I have one I use as a catchall for garbage, cannot tell as yet if affected, but, nowdays everything is potentially corrupted.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Yahoo email account passwords stolen
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
Yahoo is in freefall.

Mail was probably the last reason a lot go to that place.  Screwing it up a few months ago and now this...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
The frequency of data breaches lately (Target stores, then Neiman Marcus, then Michael's craft stores, who next?) kinda drops a big turd in the punch bowl of the "let's go electronic everything" crowd.

In particular, big government-mandated efforts like digitizing and centralizing everyone's medical records into some national clearinghouse....oh yeah that is going to work out well.

I work in the IT field and I think I come from an educated opinion on the subject. The complexity of interconnected systems has so many potential points of intrusion that it's virtually impossible to make totally secure. Particularly when you consider the fact that most organizations cannot afford to employ dedicated information security staff, so they depend instead on off-the-shelf solutions that they either self-install or contract out. The commonality of an off-the-shelf product means vulnerabilities can be quickly exploited all over the place.  I've worked in some places before that had appalling security practices, despite housing pretty sensitive data. Places like that are spared only because they're obscure enough to not get on anyone's radar screen.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »
Why is there such resistance in this country to use the embedded chip in cards like they do in Europe?
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:00:53 AM »
Why is there such resistance in this country to use the embedded chip in cards like they do in Europe?

1) Fraud via skimmers.

2) NSA

Now go ahead and argue which one is worse...

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:39:24 AM »

1) Fraud via skimmers.

2) NSA

My understanding is those chip cards are not subject to hacking.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 11:22:59 AM »

1) Fraud via skimmers.

2) NSA

My understanding is those chip cards are not subject to hacking.

That's what they want you to believe.   ::foilhathelicopter::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 07:46:08 AM »
Anything can be hacked

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 04:25:16 PM »
It doesn't help that most computers run the incredibly insecure operating system known as "Windows".    I find it hilarious that Microsoft was stupid enough to name it "Windows".   Just the fact you have to add third party software to it to make it safe to use on the internet,  only makes it guaranteed that it will be insecure.   That's why I always joke that its actually called open windows or broken windows.   Because that's what your getting.  Would you buy a house without locks on the doors?  That's what you get with a windows based computer. 

Yeah,  it has some security, but you as the user has to turn it on.   Since most people aren't IT people they don't know any better so they don't.   At least with a apple machine or a linux machine you have to turn parts of security off to do things.   

And you know what?   They shouldn't have to turn on basic security.  Microsoft sells it as a complete package, ready to use.  wrong............

The computer business has done a piss poor job when it comes to security and customer service in general.   Most of us don't really give a crap about how it works, we want it to just work,   its an appliance like a frig or a garage door opener.   If those two devices were as complex to use at times like computers are,  would people use them much?   Not likely.  People have given the computer business way too much leeway on nonsense. 

And every IT person I have talked about that point at DOES NOT GET WHAT I AM GETTING AT.   Not one.  They believe all people need to be computer experts like some mechanics believe all should be engine experts.   At least most cars are pretty reliable today,  something you can't say about the computers of today.