Author Topic: Super Bowl  (Read 3807 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Super Bowl
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 04:45:43 AM »
Yah, saw that too.  About 900 times.  Along with several comments along the lines of them snorting "What American culture?  Americans have no culture of our/their own".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
Yah, saw that too.  About 900 times.  Along with several comments along the lines of them snorting "What American culture?  Americans have no culture of our/their own".

I saw a show on the History Channel the other day about different words of American slang and their origins. One episode was about the slang terms brought by immigrants. They interviewed a couple people of Italian origin, and all of them told a similar story of being essentially forbidden by their parents from speaking Italian. The parents wanted their children to learn English as their primary language, because they wanted to, you know, become Americans. This was really true for most immigrants prior to the 1960s, when the floodgates were opened to every Third World dump on the planet.

And that is what's offensive about that commercial. Breaking the song into several different languages is a statement that there is no central, unifying American culture or even language. We don't have immigrants any more, we have colonists. They come here for the economic benefits of an established country, but otherwise remain part of their home country. They aren't coming for philosophical reasons anymore. Just look at the polling done on different immigrant groups. Every single one of them polls heavily in favor of ObamaCare, large government, gun control, etc. Then just WTF did you come here for then? The money, whether earned or taken as welfare payments, that's what.

Canada has been described as consisting of "the two solitudes", referring to Anglo Canada and French Canada. These are both groups of Western European origin with a lot of the same values, yet even these two groups are in constant friction. How is the USA supposed to do better with "the two hundred solitudes"?

All those people saying "What American culture?", just leave then. If there's obviously no compelling reason for you to stay here then why are you still here? I'm sure Somalia and North Korea have unique, authentic cultures. Really though, none of this is new or surprising, it's just some things stick in my craw more than others and the sneering "much ado about nothing" response is one of them. The rifts in this country are well and truly insurmountable. Balkanization is not only inevitable, it's already happening. It didn't have to be this way, but they insisted on it, and now they have the nerve to act incredulous when people are angry about what has been purposefully done to their country? All I can tell you is my capacity for mercy is going to be very low indeed when their little polyglot charade of a country falters.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »
I almost threw something at the TV when I saw the Wookie.
It's apparent it was only a show and not a sincere appreciation and belief in those words

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 07:06:40 AM »
I don't know why I find this funny...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-04/how-broncos-fans-took-super-bowl-loss-their-own-hands

...OK, sure I know why, it's the comments!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.