Author Topic: Vegetable Recipes  (Read 11462 times)

RickZ

Vegetable Recipes
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:48:01 AM »
One of my big pet peeves is side vegetables.  They tend to be rather bland, even in restaurants, almost an afterthought.  I like a tasty vegetable that doesn't have to be the unhealthy kind served at Thanksgiving.

So on this thread, I'll be adding some of my favorite vegetable recipes, maybe even some soups; I've gotten pretty good at homemade soups.  Classics like beef barley and Yankee bean as well as throw togethers like lentil and bean soups.  Soups are where I use a lot of homemade stocks, any leftover stock freezes well.  But I find the best soups are what you have leftover in the fridge and throw in to the pot, like that last bit of celery before it goes limp, that little bit of pasta left in the box, that knob of garlic that's been whittled down to a couple of cloves, etc.  Soup is free wheeling, which I like.  Plus, like stock, most freeze well (except for clam chowdah/cream soups).

But for now, I'll stick with vegetables.  One of my favorite vegetables is Brussels sprouts, hated by kids into adulthood everywhere.  I now know why.  Brussels sprouts is one of those vegetables that simply cannot be good any other way than fresh.  Some veggies are fine to great frozen, like corn, peas and chopped spinach.  But some, as in my dear Brussels sprouts, are simply inedible frozen.  And forget about canned.  We're not going there.  (Except for canned beans in a pinch, properly rinsed.)

So, the first veggie recipe is a side dish I stole from a Methodist church cookbook.  It has booze in it, so go figure.  4 ingredients, and it is a very elegant side dish for those special dinners; it looks pretty on the plate, too, with great color.  It's quick to cook, with all the work in the prep, like Chinese stir-fry.

Carrot & Celery Sticks

1 cup carrot sticks
1 cup celery sticks
1 TBS butter
1 TBS Grand Marnier

To prepare carrot and celery sticks, peel carrots and trim celery.  Measure a 2-inch long piece of celery to use as a guide.  Cut celery and carrots into 2 inch long pieces.  Cut pieces into approximately 1/4 inch “matchsticks.”  (Can be done ahead of time to this point and stored, covered, in fridge.)

Heat a non-stick skillet.  Once hot, add butter.  Swirl to melt.  Then add carrot and celery sticks.  Add Grand Marnier.  Stirring constantly over high heat, cook about 2 to 3 minutes, until the liquid is pretty much evaporated.  The carrots and celery should still be very al dente, but with the raw edge taken off, coupled with a hint of orange.  (You can cook them a little longer, but be careful as they are so thin, they cook quicker than you think; they should not be a soft mush.)

Serve immediately as a side dish.

Serves 4.

Like I said, simple, quick and elegant, both in looks and taste.  Always a hit when I've served it.  And it's funny, but I've never added salt or pepper to this.  Goes great with roasted meats like chicken, beef roasts, stuffed veal, etc.  I also use the Grand Marnier in cheesecake, so it does serve a purpose other than just imbibing.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Vegetable Recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »
 You hit on the only thing I don't like Celery I like it raw but for some reason I just don't cooked. But the basic idea is good all I'll do is use something else.Turnips are out too and so are rutabagas yuck.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

RickZ

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 05:45:19 PM »
John, I can understand not liking certain things.  As a kid, I was the pickiest eater on earth, and it drove my Mom crazy.  I only ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the first I don't know how many years of my life; now I eat just about anything animal or vegetable.  But when it comes to the celery in that recipe, Grand Marnier covers up a lot of taste bud issues.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »
John, I can understand not liking certain things.  As a kid, I was the pickiest eater on earth, and it drove my Mom crazy.  I only ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the first I don't know how many years of my life; now I eat just about anything animal or vegetable.  But when it comes to the celery in that recipe, Grand Marnier covers up a lot of taste bud issues.

And I don't do lamb chops the wife loves them.
 Filippo Mazzie

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »

You sound deprived, my friend.  Remember, man is an omnivore.  It's one of our jobs to eat that cute little lamby-poo.  And Thumper.  And Bambi.  And Porky.  And . . .

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »

You sound deprived, my friend.  Remember, man is an omnivore.  It's one of our jobs to eat that cute little lamby-poo.  And Thumper.  And Bambi.  And Porky.  And . . .

I'll eat thumper is a second bambi in a N.Y.minute pork and how!! I'll se you those and raise you veal all day all night and toss in goat meat(kid) just for hahas. Lamb has a funny smell to me.I also had horse a couple of times,in a pinch i'll eat it but I felt bad for that and I don'r know why it's not like I knew him or anything.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »

Lambs got da stank.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »

Lambs got da stank.

Dats what I'm sayin.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
Grilling (BBQ) take care o' da stank.

I don't know why, I can't explain it, but you th'ow them lambies on the grill, it's an entirely different taste from broiling or frying.  We marinate in Cross & Blackwell Mint Sauce; mebbe that's it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »
I make a lot of soups. Easy and fills the kids up.  Make my own stock and throw in whatever.

I also make crepes--stuff them with whatever vegetable sounds good (asparagus, spinach, mushrooms, etc) and spoon over a white sauce and the kids can't get enough.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 06:56:07 AM »
I like how this started with veggies and then the carnivores took over!   ;D

We got some aggressive DNA here!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:51:42 AM »

I noticed the same thing.  That's why I had to mention my crepe-making!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »

I noticed the same thing.  That's why I had to mention my crepe-making!

Haven't you heard??? Veggies are a promise of food to come.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »

What does that mean? Or do I not want to know?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »

Veggies only mean that there has to be a steak coming to the table real soon.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »

::whoohoo::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 11:40:16 AM »

::whoohoo::

need I say more?

How to grill a perfect ribeye steak - Cook a ribeye steak
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 12:30:57 PM »

hahahaha

My husband skips the veg part altogether most of the time!    He eats plain lettuce as a salad and plain corn.  Which to me explains why he doesn't like vegetables. Boring.  ( He doesn't consider a potato to be a vegetable  ;))

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »

hahahaha

My husband skips the veg part altogether most of the time!    He eats plain lettuce as a salad and plain corn.  Which to me explains why he doesn't like vegetables. Boring.  ( He doesn't consider a potato to be a vegetable  ;))

Heh.  I'm the same way, especially if the tater is smothered in cheese and bacon!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »
Growing up, and in our house, too, salad comes last.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"