Author Topic: Vegetable Recipes  (Read 11451 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Vegetable Recipes
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »

Veggies only mean that there has to be a steak coming to the table real soon.

hahahaha

My husband skips the veg part altogether most of the time!    He eats plain lettuce as a salad and plain corn.  Which to me explains why he doesn't like vegetables. Boring.  ( He doesn't consider a potato to be a vegetable  ;))

I was going to have chicken cutlets tonight but with all the talk of steaks that wen't out the window. So tonight it's T Bones with a side of home roasted red peppers Wich can be a meal all bt themselves the way I prep them and Baked tater and sour cream.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 01:00:50 PM »
Growing up, and in our house, too, salad comes last.

What do you mean there's another way??
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »
Restaurants.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »
Yes, they like to serve first!  Thus I nibble at it so as to save room for the good stuff!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
Yes, they like to serve first!  Thus I nibble at it so as to save room for the good stuff!   ;D

I ask them to bring it last and there's never a problem.They use it to kill time so it doesn't seem that long to the main event.So I have an extra drink.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »

Me too, but sometimes I can't help m'self; I'm usually starving at that point.

"First we bring out food; then you order."  (John Pinnette routine.)

We went to Olive Garden on Friday night, before the movie.  (No scoffing, JF!  There were reasons.)  Never having been, I was unfamiliar with the "unlimited salad and breadsticks" dealio.  They serve a giant bowl of salad for the table and will refill on request; "unlimited", right?  Took home the leftovers, because I like leftover salad, and over half of it was croutons.  I don't like croutons.  No wonder the salad is "unlimited".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 01:26:36 PM »

We went to Olive Garden on Friday night, before the movie.  (No scoffing, JF!  There were reasons.)  Never having been, I was unfamiliar with the "unlimited salad and breadsticks" dealio.  They serve a giant bowl of salad for the table and will refill on request; "unlimited", right?  Took home the leftovers, because I like leftover salad, and over half of it was croutons.  I don't like croutons.  No wonder the salad is "unlimited".

Yeah, and dirt cheap for them to push and get big margins off of!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »

Did you notice that over half the Menu is something Alfredo?? Iswear they bring it in in 50 gal drums. Yuk!!!Only been twice once by mistake and te other because I wanted to make sure I never went again.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
I like Alfredo; had the Seafood.  It wasn't bad at all, considering.

I prefer creamy over acidic or vinegary.

RickZ

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »

I'm tellin' ya, oven roasted Brussels sprouts and pecans topped with a roasted garlic/parmeggiano cream sauce.  That'll take the boring right out of vegetables.

That sauce also works well on pork chops/pork loin/mashed potatoes/rice/etc.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:04:50 PM by RickZ »

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »
Not a big fan of Olive Garden. First of all I dislike their false family ads.  When you're here you're family. Ah, yeah, right.  I don't leave 20% at my mom's.

I saw a commercial last night and all of it was white--melted cheese with white sauces. I think there was chicken or shrimp under it.  Who knows. I guess I just cook differently--I like to use spices and taste the foods not cover it up with cheese and cream sauces. Though they have their place for some things.

Back to salads.  In my family we always ate the salad with the meal as another veg (my mom gets aggravated when the waiter tries to take her salad away when the entree is served).  My husband always eats it last which for someone who doesn't like vegs I thought was odd.  (I'd eat the least favorite and work my way to the fav).  But personally I'm not a big fan of salad as a side. When I eat salad I put lots of  stuff in it to make it a meal.  Much more interesting.  Homemade dressing.  Yum.

And no store bought croutons. Too hard.  If I ever do include them (for my husband) I make my own.  Much better.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »

I'm tellin' ya, oven roasted Brussels sprouts and pecans topped with a roasted garlic/parmeggiano cream sauce.  That'll take the boring right out of vegetables.

That sauce also works well on pork chops/pork loin/mashed potatoe/rice/etc.

I've heard from other cooks that roasting the sprouts is the way to go.  I have a cream sauce I use a lot so I'll remember that in the fall when the sprouts are available fresh.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »
LadyVirginia,

I also like my sprout recipe I created many moons ago:  Braised Brussels sprouts in butter/lemon juice/soy sauce, topped with lemon zest.  Again, not boring.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »
LadyVirginia,

I also like my sprout recipe I created many moons ago:  Braised Brussels sprouts in butter/lemon juice/soy sauce, topped with lemon zest.  Again, not boring.

Sounds good.  I will try that too. I like recipes where I can still taste the vegetable.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »
I love corn right out of the can - room temperature.  It's not boring to me, most veggies aren't.  Broccoli with just lemon juice on it is good; just as good with garlic, salt, lemon pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.  Brussel's sprouts with either just lemon, or a little butter are good. 

Green beans with slivered almonds and mushrooms and .... just a little butter and S&P.

I guess I'm a boring eater; with a few exceptions, I like much of my food without too much other food in it.

And I don't eat either lima beans (blech!) or cooked carrots.

RickZ

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
These sprouts look really pretty topped with that dusting of lemon zest at the end.

Elegant Brussels Sprouts (For People Who Hate Brussels Sprouts)

1 lb fresh Brussels sprouts (frozen will not work), firm to the touch
2 lemons
3 TBS unsalted butter
2 TBS soy sauce

Zest the lemons, cover and reserve.

Peel, by hand, the tough outer leaves on the sprouts.  Trim bottoms.

Heat covered saucepan.  Place into saucepan butter, soy sauce and juice of one lemon.

Add Brussels sprouts.  Stir to coat with sauce, bringing sauce to a bubble.  Cover, reduce heat to low simmer and cook gently, swirling the pot occasionally.  After 25 minutes, add juice of second lemon.  Cover, and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes, or until tender (gently press with spoon; they should give a little, but not be mushy).

(Optional:  At this point, you can remove the Brussels sprouts to a bowl.  Heat the liquid until it comes to a hard boil.  Stirring often, reduce until thick, adding a little butter as needed.  Once reduced to a syrupy consistency, Add sprouts back to pan and toss to coat and rewarm.)  Remove from saucepan with a slotted spoon.  Place into serving bowl or directly onto serving plates.  Drizzle with reduced sauce and dust with reserved lemon zest.  Serve immediately.

Serves 4 as a side dish.

Variation 1:

1/2 lb baby bella mushrooms, washed, stems trimmed

After 25 minutes, add whole mushrooms along with the second lemon.  Finish cooking and serve as above.

Variation 2:

1 tsp course grainy mustard

Add mustard at the beginning, with the butter, soy sauce, and lemon juice.  Cook and serve as above.

Variation 3:

2 TBS sliced almonds, lightly toasted in dry saute pan/skillet

Top the cooked Brussels sprouts with lightly toasted almond slices, then lemon zest.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »

Elegant Brussels Sprouts (For People Who Hate Brussels Sprouts)

Thanks!  Just printed it out and in it goes to my recipe binder. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
My thanks as well, Rick.  That sounds good, not too much stuff, and now I'm hungry.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 05:36:19 PM »
And to think all I do is slap butter on my sprouts!  I'm such a cretin!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
And to think all I do is slap butter on my sprouts!  I'm such a cretin!

That's what we're here for -- to lift you out of your hole.

You're welcome.

::rolllaughing::