Author Topic: Where Am I Tonight?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Where Am I Tonight?
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:30:02 PM »
At the Friends Of The NRA Banquet. Hope I win something.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Where Am I Tonight?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »
Nope. Not a winner.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:01:30 AM »
you're still a winner to our eyes
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:38:28 AM »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:32:31 AM »
you're still a winner to our eyes

::grouphug::

'Zack right!

So, how was it, trap?  Who spoke?  Details, man!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »
Hope you went in disguise as Joe Biden...the ATF was probably taking photos of everybody attending for when Order 66 comes down.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
We have, for many years now, had one of the most successful "Friends of the NRA" annual fundraising banquets in the country. There are approximately 1100 or so of these things held across the country every year and ours is consistently in the top ten or twenty when it comes to money raised. Not bad for a rural community in southern Colorado.

We don't bring in celebrity speakers (their fees take away from the money raised). We don't hire bands or comedians or anything for entertainment. Instead, what we do is host a fairly nice catered meal and we raffle away some very nice merchandise. And we have auctions. Silent auctions and a big huge live auction. I usually participate in the raffles...I think I burned about three hundred last night...and occasionally the silent auctions. I tend to stay away from the live auctions* because I just don't see the point in spending three to five times what a gun (or other similarly nice item) is worth.

I was sorely tempted to bid on a few items, though. There was a violin and a guitar signed (and allegedly used) by Charlie Daniels...those both went for well under a thousand bucks. But, I'm not a musician so I just didn't see the sense in that.

The one thing that I might do differently next year is to bid on the guided hunting packages. These packages are the one thing which almost always auction off for significantly less than they are worth. Last night, for instance, there were two of them. The first one was for a guided hunt for two hunters (and included the fees for two animals) in New Zealand. It probably had a retail value in excess of $5000 and it went for less than half that. The other one, though, was the real bargain. It was for a guided hunt for 4 hunters (five days/six nights) in Africa. I am guessing that it had a retail value well in excess of $10,000 and it also went for way less than half that. What I am thinking is that I could win one of those auctions and then offer up the other spaces on the hunt to other people with the condition that they foot the bill for all of my expenses. That way I could get a trip to Africa, get to bag something, for somewhere around three grand...a huge bargain when it comes to big game hunting.

Anyway, I didn't win a single thing last night but mrs. trapeze and I had a good time dining and socializing with lots of people we know. The money invested (close to $500 with the tickets to get in) went to a good cause and there is always next year.

*The committee makes money on the live auctions coming and going. First, every single item is either donated or (as is usually the case with the firearms) purchased at wholesale. Then they get a sponsor to "buy" the item for the auction. The sponsor gets their name mentioned which is pretty expensive advertising and that's all they get out of it other than the knowledge that they, too, are giving to a worthy cause. So, at this point the committee has already made money...anything they auction the item for is above and beyond that amount already raised. For reasons that I will never understand the firearms especially go for ridiculous prices at auction. For instance, a Henry Golden Boy .22 lever action carbine which probably was purchased (or donated) for around $300 was sponsored for $400 and sold for about $1200. Another example was a S&W .38 special Bodyguard (with laser) which probably retails for about $450 went for over $900 at auction.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:49:19 PM by trapeze »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »
Sounds like fun. I got an invite to one in my area and probably should have gone. I've had a piss-off for the NRA for the past three years and it got in my way. Funny since I've had a piss-off for the pubby party for longer and yet I went to a similar affair for the local district a couple of weeks ago.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
I encourage everyone to go. It directly benefits the shooting sports (rather than lobbying).

It's fun. It's also a great excuse to go out eating and drinking. One of these days I might win something, too.