Author Topic: Catholic Diocese files for bankrupcy protection  (Read 806 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Catholic Diocese files for bankrupcy protection
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:13:39 AM »
HELENA, Montana (AP) — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Helena planned to file for bankruptcy protection Friday as part of a proposed settlement of $15 million for hundreds of victims who say clergy members sexually abused them over decades while the church covered it up.

Diocese spokesman Dan Bartleson said the bankruptcy reorganization plan comes after confidential mediation sessions with the plaintiffs' attorneys and insurers, resulting in the deals to resolve the abuse claims.

The settlement details are being worked out, but the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Montana would be responsible for approving and supervising the disbursement of $15 million to compensate the 362 victims identified in the two lawsuits.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/31/catholic-diocese-files-for-bankruptcy-protection/5078991/
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Catholic Diocese files for bankrupcy protection
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »
As much as I love the Catholic religion, the Church itself kind of irks me. ::gaah::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
Not to minimize the victims of priests and teachers in the Catholic church,  but its tiny scandal,  compared with amount of abuse that public school teachers have committed against students.   Nearly everyone attends public school at some point but not everyone is Catholic.   

But we don't hear about it nationally like we do with the Catholic church,  because the press is protecting union members at all costs.   You only hear about the local victims,  and if my area is any indication,  its a huge problem nationwide.   I can think of at least ten crimes in the last year alone locally. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »
How much of this is hog-piling too?  I mean there are no doubt legitimate victims and one is too many, but once blood is in the water there is always the sleaze factor to contend with and fighting the real cases with the bogus ones is more easily dealt with by settling them all.  But the mother church blew it on not excommunicating libiot apostates and in that regard they have a lot in common with all libiot outfits...so, pot/kettle...all are guilty of crimes against humanity.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.