Author Topic: I feel so much safer now.  (Read 1836 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
I feel so much safer now.
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:09:20 AM »
TSA needs to work on that respect thing

My DH suffers from OAB (Overactive Bladder) due to past problems with prostate cancer. (He is only 36 by the way and has been done with it for 3 years) We fly frequently and to be safe he usually wears a disposable brief (an adult diaper). He has been screened many times with the full body scanner and patted down many other times. On a few occasions, if he was being patted down, he has mentioned his "protection" and passed without further scrutiny.

Never an issue until last week. While waiting in the security line he had a strong bladder spasm and and a large release of urine into the diaper. After he emerged from the scanner the TSA officer (a female) asked if he was carrying liquids in his clothing. He explained his condition and what had happened. In the past, it was embarrassing enough for him to just tell a TSA employee that I was wearing an adult incontinence garment but now he was also announcing that he had wet himself.) She called over to another (male) officer (the boss, I guess) and  explained the situation to him out loud in front of everyone else still going through the line. The problem was he did not understand what an "incontinence product" was when she told him. Myself, DH, and the female TSA employee tried explaining a few times before the woman finally just shouted " HE IS WEARING A DIAPER" which caused pretty much everyone to turn and stare at us (smaller airport so not that many people). The TSA officer then snickered which was almost enough for me to go off but I really didn't want to make an even bigger scene then there already was.

He then told us that the scanner was unable to tell what was under his clothing and that "further review" was required. I asked him what that meant and he asked us to get our bags and follow him. We were taken through an office area into a  room in the back. After waiting a couple of minutes 4 new TSA officers(one of which went to college with DH but dropped out his freshman year- still embarrassing to know someone in a situation like this though) came in and one asked DH if he had any liquids in his pants. By now we were both getting quite annoyed with being asked the same question over and over and he replied that he was wearing a diaper and that he had pi---d in it while waiting in their ***** line. Probably wasn't the best idea for him to get that mad but at that point he didn't even care about people knowing he had a medical condition and we just wanted to get out of their.

They then patted him down and asked him to drop his pants when they felt the "suspicious padding" around his waist. After finally seeing the diaper, one of the officers said that he would need to “change out of it” to “clear the issue”. He got his spare brief out of my carry-on, a female officer came up and gave him a large Ziploc bag and they left  the room while he changed. She returned, collected the bag with the wet brief and went off for about 5 minutes. The group of officers then returned and told us that we were cleared and showed us to the door. On a positive note, I must say that all of the TSA agents, except for the one who loudly yelled "he's wearing a diaper" in front of  the entire airport security line, were courteous, professional, and apologetic for the intrusion.

Quite possibly one of the most embarrassing times of mine and DH's life and my DH cried following it which is a very very rare occasion for him :(.   We had a 4 hour layover and 5 hours of air travel yet ahead so that played in to it.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: I feel so much safer now.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »
I will never use air travel, or trains or buses, again in my life. Nothing's so important that I can't drive to whatever's going on. Unless we go to Europe again. Then it's required.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »
Screw flying.  No way I could witness the crap that goes on with these thugs and stay silent...stay non-physical.  If I make it to an advanced age and the nation hasn't gone completely away and I have nothing else to do (or lose) I could see going out to the airport to end some shyt!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:39:48 PM »
I haven't flown commercially in over 20 yrs. I still have one flight left to take. I promised my lovely bride a trip to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary in 2 yrs. ::bashing::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
I haven't flown commercially in over 20 yrs. I still have one flight left to take. I promised my lovely bride a trip to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary in 2 yrs. ::bashing::

That is the premium you will pay to keep that promise.  Enjoy Hawaii, it is worth at least one sacrificial trip.
We've done it, enjoyed it, but won't go anymore since this insanity began.  After a couple of flights under the current conditions we've decided to drive even if it takes a few days.  Too bad that bridge hasn't been built!  :o
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 05:06:36 PM »

Know what I'd do? Show up at the airport in my Speedo.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 05:27:43 PM »

I'm thinking wear a speedo with depends underneath. ::laughonfloor::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »

Even better!

I'm thinking wear a speedo with depends underneath. ::laughonfloor::
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »
Wear Speedos and put a cucumber in them.  But put it in the back.   Tell them you're ready to be frisked!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly