Topics > Weather, Climate, & Natural Disasters

IL residents will be forced to use smart meters.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Alphabet Soup:
We've had this conversation before (I think). I hate it when urnalists are sloppy. There are three types of residential electric meters in use these days. The ones we are so familiar with are the old-style analog meter that we all grew up with (and many of you are likely still using).

The second is the AMR meter (or Automatic Meter Read) meter. As far as I can tell this is the meter that they are referring to in this article. It uses WiFi technology to transmit data to the utility company. No more meterman walking the neighborhood reading meters.

The third type of meter is the smart meter. It allows two-way communication with the utility company. With this meter not only can the utility monitor usage at the residence in real-time but they have the ability to throttle electricity to the residence by remote control. Nothing I have read in this article describes that ability.

Mine is if the AMR variety. I have no problem with it at all.

AlanS:

--- Quote from: Alphabet Soup on February 13, 2014, 07:22:34 PM ---The third type of meter is the smart meter. It allows two-way communication with the utility company. With this meter not only can the utility monitor usage at the residence in real-time but they have the ability to throttle electricity to the residence by remote control. Nothing I have read in this article describes that ability.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---In the early days of the Obama administration, “smart power” was all the rage—and not just on the foreign policy scene. In April 2009, National Public Radio reported how one Allentown, Pennsylvania, mother was saving more than a hundred dollars each month on her electric bill. Tammy Yeakel’s power company, PPL Energy, had helpfully installed a “smart meter” on her home that could monitor her power usage in real time. The meter uploaded that information to PPL’s website, so she could identify peak usage times during the day.
--- End quote ---

Sounds like the 3rd type to me. They just haven't gotten around to throttling the juice.

LadyVirginia:
I recently got an email from my power co that we use more power than the average in our neighborhood. (It was a lot more. lol)

I deleted it.

We have people here all day long! Of course, we use more than our neighbors at work.

Libertas:
Can't be too high LV, otherwise SWAT would have lept at the chance to kick your door in and get some live training...of course once they discover you are NOT growing weed in your home they'll be all, "Oops, sorry...just looking out for everyone's safety is all, have a nice day!".

::pullhair::

LadyVirginia:

--- Quote from: Libertas on February 14, 2014, 07:02:01 AM ---Can't be too high LV, otherwise SWAT would have lept at the chance to kick your door in and get some live training...of course once they discover you are NOT growing weed in your home they'll be all, "Oops, sorry...just looking out for everyone's safety is all, have a nice day!".

::pullhair::

--- End quote ---

Didn't think of SWAT though I half expect someone from the power company to knock on the door.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version