Author Topic: IL residents will be forced to use smart meters.  (Read 2968 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
IL residents will be forced to use smart meters.
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:57:59 AM »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/deferring-inevitable_781518.html
But those happy days when people had the choice to be "smarter" (brought to you by your public utility company and friendly federal government) are apparently over in Illinois. A state law passed in 2011 now requires homes and businesses have the smart meters installed. And per a decision by state regulators last week, those who refuse the meters will now see an extra charge on their monthly electric bill. The Chicago Tribune has the story on what might be considered Illinois's individual mandate on smart meters:

Commonwealth Edison customers who refuse to have smart meters installed will be charged $21.53 a month, regulators decided Wednesday.

"If customers make the decision to refuse a (smart) meter now and incur monthly charges associated with this choice it should be with full knowledge that this refusal is simply deferring the inevitable," the Illinois Commerce Commission said in its order.

The message? Get smart, or pay up.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: IL residents will be forced to use smart meters.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »

So sick of this fascist crap!  Everybody needs to say FUKC YOU!

Tar, feather...rail?

Meet ya at the capitol!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:57:59 PM »
Yet another reason to pay up for the PhotoVoltaic system. Between this fascist crap and the "skyrocketing" electricity costs by killing Coal, and the fact that panels have dropped to half what they were a few years ago, the ROI is looking better and better.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »
I must have one of the few electric companies not forcing "smart" meters down our throats.  (NIPSCO in Northwest Indiana)

But it may be due more to the union refusing to let them lay off meter readers.  (they read the meters via radio, so they don't have to come in the yard anymore to read it, but they can't do it from a central location like smart meters).    When they are replacing meters they do go out of the way to note that they don't instal smart meters (yet).   

Will see how long that goes on. 

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »
Aside from being used to centrally manage how much electricity you can use, the Infowars crowd asserts that there is a still more nefarious purpose behind these. They assert that the smart meter interfaces with the new generation of smart appliances, basically turning them into a swarm of information-gathering devices that transmit data over the electrical utility lines.

Far fetched? Who's to say anymore? Anything is plausible now. It's very possible to turn electrical mains into dual purpose wiring, functioning as an electrical supply line as well as a data network.

I would really like to see gas turbine generators become affordable. "The grid" is more than just a supply vulnerability, it's very literally Leviathan's tentacles.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:22:34 PM »
We've had this conversation before (I think). I hate it when urnalists are sloppy. There are three types of residential electric meters in use these days. The ones we are so familiar with are the old-style analog meter that we all grew up with (and many of you are likely still using).

The second is the AMR meter (or Automatic Meter Read) meter. As far as I can tell this is the meter that they are referring to in this article. It uses WiFi technology to transmit data to the utility company. No more meterman walking the neighborhood reading meters.

The third type of meter is the smart meter. It allows two-way communication with the utility company. With this meter not only can the utility monitor usage at the residence in real-time but they have the ability to throttle electricity to the residence by remote control. Nothing I have read in this article describes that ability.

Mine is if the AMR variety. I have no problem with it at all.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:52:39 PM »
The third type of meter is the smart meter. It allows two-way communication with the utility company. With this meter not only can the utility monitor usage at the residence in real-time but they have the ability to throttle electricity to the residence by remote control. Nothing I have read in this article describes that ability.

In the early days of the Obama administration, “smart power” was all the rage—and not just on the foreign policy scene. In April 2009, National Public Radio reported how one Allentown, Pennsylvania, mother was saving more than a hundred dollars each month on her electric bill. Tammy Yeakel’s power company, PPL Energy, had helpfully installed a “smart meter” on her home that could monitor her power usage in real time. The meter uploaded that information to PPL’s website, so she could identify peak usage times during the day.

Sounds like the 3rd type to me. They just haven't gotten around to throttling the juice.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:25:39 PM »
I recently got an email from my power co that we use more power than the average in our neighborhood. (It was a lot more. lol)

I deleted it.

We have people here all day long! Of course, we use more than our neighbors at work.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:02:01 AM »
Can't be too high LV, otherwise SWAT would have lept at the chance to kick your door in and get some live training...of course once they discover you are NOT growing weed in your home they'll be all, "Oops, sorry...just looking out for everyone's safety is all, have a nice day!".

::pullhair::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »
Can't be too high LV, otherwise SWAT would have lept at the chance to kick your door in and get some live training...of course once they discover you are NOT growing weed in your home they'll be all, "Oops, sorry...just looking out for everyone's safety is all, have a nice day!".

::pullhair::

Didn't think of SWAT though I half expect someone from the power company to knock on the door.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
It's only half a joke. Nowadays they'll send a goon squad to bust down your door claiming you must be operating a grow op to be using all that power.  Remember back when "none of your business" used to be something just about everyone understood and respected? What a different America this is now. Now it's implicit (and increasingly explicit) that one should have to provide some satisfactory explanation to "society" for any preference or lifestyle choice that the PC busybodies have marked for extinction.

Like I said in another thread, a whole lot of somebodies need a serious dose of STFU.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:26:17 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
It's only half a joke. Nowadays they'll send a goon squad to bust down your door claiming you must be operating a grow op to be using all that power.  Remember back when "none of your business" used to be something just about everyone understood and respected? What a different America this is now. Now it's implicit (and increasingly explicit) that one should have to provide some satisfactory explanation to "society" for any preference or lifestyle choice that the PC busybodies have marked for extinction.

Like I said in another thread, a whole lot of somebodies need a serious dose of STFU.

maybe I should stick a rainbow flag outside; bet they'd leave us alone then

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 08:52:31 PM »

Heck of a lot safer than flying Old Glory.
maybe I should stick a rainbow flag outside; bet they'd leave us alone then

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 07:53:27 AM »
https://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/more-on-the-iot/

Say Hell No to meters!

Of course between the FBI and the NSA they have most cities jacked from one end to the other!

::upsidedownflag::