Author Topic: the Cowboy/Western genre  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
the Cowboy/Western genre
« on: February 15, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
So I was never really a fan of the Western genre, until recently that is. I started with Tombstone about a year ago, and I got onto that because Ann Barnhardt frequently posted a clip of the famous scene where Wyatt Earp slaps the loudmouth thug played by Billy Bob Thornton, his way of calling him out and demonstrating that he was just a mouthy coward. I was intrigued enough to watch the entire movie, and enjoyed it.

I think I simply always took that uniquely American genre for granted before, part of the cultural background of America. It is the history of the American people -- coming from various places but with a common denominator of not willing to be told what to do -- distilled into literature/cinema. I also think that's why I am now coming around to it with a belated appreciation, because those traits that defined the classic Western (rugged individualism, self-reliance, delineation of good and evil, refusal to submit regardless of the odds) are now so palpably under assault in this country.

The other night I watched The Magnificent Seven, which is basically Kurosawa's story of seven samurai enlisted to aid peasants against a tyrant, reimagined as a Western. I liked it.

What other films would you list as Western essentials?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: the Cowboy/Western genre
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:11:54 PM »
So I was never really a fan of the Western genre, until recently that is. I started with Tombstone about a year ago, and I got onto that because Ann Barnhardt frequently posted a clip of the famous scene where Wyatt Earp slaps the loudmouth thug played by Billy Bob Thornton, his way of calling him out and demonstrating that he was just a mouthy coward. I was intrigued enough to watch the entire movie, and enjoyed it.

I think I simply always took that uniquely American genre for granted before, part of the cultural background of America. It is the history of the American people -- coming from various places but with a common denominator of not willing to be told what to do -- distilled into literature/cinema. I also think that's why I am now coming around to it with a belated appreciation, because those traits that defined the classic Western (rugged individualism, self-reliance, delineation of good and evil, refusal to submit regardless of the odds) are now so palpably under assault in this country.

The other night I watched The Magnificent Seven, which is basically Kurosawa's story of seven samurai enlisted to aid peasants against a tyrant, reimagined as a Western. I liked it.

What other films would you list as Western essentials?

I am partial to True Grit, Stagecoach, and The Big Trail ..  and of course Firefly if that counts.
Silverado was the last decent western I remember Hollywood making.  The reboot of the 3:10 to Yuma was okay, but I liked the original better.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:28:04 PM »
Lonesome Dove
Open Range
Quigley Down Under
about anything with Sam Elliot
Dances with Wolves

Maybe I'll think of more later
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »
Unforgiven
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
I agree with most of those given.
I'll commit sacrilege here, though.
I think the Jeff Bridges True Grit was excellent. Better than the Duke's.
But John Wayne made a lot of good ones

I grew up with westerns on Saturday morning.
Not exactly what is asked.
Lone Ranger has to still be my favorite.
But Tex Ritter, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Cisco Kid, Wild Bill Hickock, Roy Rogers were all part of ever Saturday morning.
And in the 50s a lot of nighttime series,too.
Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, Rawhide, Maverick and Bonanza just to name a few.

Sort of westerns was They Dies with their Boots On with Errol Flynn about Custer.

And my all time favorites were all the Davy Crockett or Alamo movies

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »
Yeah I just rewatched Disney's Davy Crockett the other night. It was a staple video of my childhood. My mom said I learned how to operate the VCR before I was 3 years old, and I have vague memories of stacking pillows from the couch and standing on them so I could reach the tapes. I knew which one was Davy Crockett because my parents had cut out a picture from TV Guide and put it under the sleeve of the tape case. It's a good one.

Thanks for the lists.  I'm basically just browsing through Netflix and Amazon Prime to see what's available for streaming.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »
I agree with AP's assessment of the True Grit reboot. Excellent.

True Grit (both)
Unforgiven
Open Range
Tombstone
3:10 to Yuma
Outlaw Josie Wales
High Plains Drifter
Silverado
Dances with Wolves

I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

Anybody watch the A&E series Hell on Wheels? I've caught a few episodes, and enjoyed them.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
Big Jake
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
Glock, I was around with the original release in the mid 50s.
I had a coonskin cap, buckskins, and "Betsy".

I have a pic of me on my pony in full regalia

As far as I know, I have seen every Davy Crockett show/movie ever.
There was one in the early 50s where Davy was pretty scruffy and not the central figure that I only learned about in the last few years

I knew all the words to the song, btw

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »

Glock, I was around with the original release in the mid 50s.
I had a coonskin cap, buckskins, and "Betsy".

I have a pic of me on my pony in full regalia

As far as I know, I have seen every Davy Crockett show/movie ever.
There was one in the early 50s where Davy was pretty scruffy and not the central figure that I only learned about in the last few years

I knew all the words to the song, btw

With the words;

Ballad of David Crockett

What we all remember;

Fess Parker - Ballad of Davy Crockett (1955)
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »
Thanks, rusty.
That was nostalgic.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 10:50:02 PM »
High Noon.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 10:54:10 PM »

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 07:06:02 AM »
I forgot some of those!
Cheyenne, Zorro and Have Gun were some my favorites.
But watched Fury and Rin Tin Tin and Death Valley Days before Reagan

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 10:05:36 AM »
I will echo Unforgiven (best ending action sequence ever!), Open Range, Tombstone, True Grit (I like most all John Wayne's movies, The Shootist may be my favorite), Silverado, the Spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is perhaps my favorite), The Magnificent Seven, Once Upon a Time in the West, Maverick, there are lots!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »
Real old classic that personally took me back.  Yes I do like trivia and this brings one back --Who was the most famous 'radio' "Lone Ranger", that led to this series.  Now while thinking of that --- enjoy;

"Enter the Lone Ranger" (Clayton Moore) 1949

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »
Wasn't Clayton Moore both on radio and TV?

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
Wasn't Clayton Moore both on radio and TV?

Not on radio as the Lone Ranger.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:11:23 PM by rustybayonet »

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
I agree with AP's assessment of the True Grit reboot. Excellent.

True Grit (both)
Unforgiven
Open Range
Tombstone
3:10 to Yuma
Outlaw Josie Wales
High Plains Drifter
Silverado
Dances with Wolves

I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

Anybody watch the A&E series Hell on Wheels? I've caught a few episodes, and enjoyed them.

The "Hell on Wheels" series of good.

"The Big Country" is on my best westerns list, as is "Shane."
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »
Lone Ranger trivia answer - Brace Beemer was the most popular and the last 'radio' voice of the mask man.  My reason for this is interest - when I was a kid, I had a early morning paper route and his son 'TV kiddies host 'Justice Colt' was one of my customers, but mostly my cousin lived less than a mile from the Beemer farm in Oxford, Michigan.  We would ride our bikes over there to 'catch a look at "the Lone Ranger" and to see his two horses  - yep a white stallion and a 'paint''.  I have a set of tapes of 60 radio episodes of most of the 1952 radio series at WXYZ radio in Detroit where the show originated from.

If interested more info. can be found at least two sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brace_Beemer

http://www.lonerangerfanclub.com/radio.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:15:02 AM by rustybayonet »