Author Topic: Swedish Commandos  (Read 972 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Swedish Commandos
« on: February 17, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
I guess I was a bit surprised by this...thought Sweden was hard neutral and I am used to seeing them kowtow to Isslam not go after its warriors.  Who knew?

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsf/articles/20140212.aspx
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Swedish Commandos
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:54:09 PM »
Cool. I wasn't aware of that.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
The only way to be truly "neutral" is to have a tough military.   Switzerland is probably the only country that can pull that off in this day.   Hopefully some of these European nations wake up, but its probably way too late for most.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 11:01:08 PM »
The only way to be truly "neutral" is to have a tough military.

Word.  We used to know that ...... periodically.  It seems our history has been one of lean-down/build up.  Our Founders thought poorly of a permanent military, and with good reason, but we can maintain a decent fighting force if much of the money wasn't spent on contractor-pork.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:56:38 AM »
The only way to be truly "neutral" is to have a tough military.   Switzerland is probably the only country that can pull that off in this day.   Hopefully some of these European nations wake up, but its probably way too late for most.

That's because the Swiss are decendants of warrior monks, their take-no-shyt-from-anyone attitude combined with compulsory military service for men and voluntary service for women and the keeping of arms with them at all times are definitely not an outlier reasons for their independence and security!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:58:32 AM »
The only way to be truly "neutral" is to have a tough military.

Word.  We used to know that ...... periodically.  It seems our history has been one of lean-down/build up.  Our Founders thought poorly of a permanent military, and with good reason, but we can maintain a decent fighting force if much of the money wasn't spent on contractor-pork.

Pork has been killing us for decades andn is not limited to the military...the entire federal government is nothing short of a crony-capitalist reditribution scheme!  Just think what we could afford and accomplish if we eliminated waste, fraud, abuse, cronyism and corruption!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
The Swiss and Swedes have been able to remain neutral because they've been allowed to remain neutral. One of the larger European powers could have forced them into war if they had wanted to. Both countries have benefit from the fact that their neutrality has historically been seen as convenient by all sides of various conflicts over the generations.

Both sides know this at some level. The Swedes for instance had secret plans to integrate into NATO if menaced by the Soviets.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly