Author Topic: Cryptolocker Strikes deep  (Read 982 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Cryptolocker Strikes deep
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
I'm spent - emotionally exhausted. I've spent the last day and a half resurrecting my brothers laptop after he contracted the Cryptolocker malware virus. He just left my place after discovering at all of his data is gone.

I hope to God he doesn't kill somebody.

I post this as a public service because this is one of the nastiest viruses I've encountered.

Do yourselves a favor:

Do backups of your data - often. And spot check to make sure that you are actually getting good backups.

If at all possible keep the machine that has your irreplaceable data on it off the Internet. Get a cheap used laptop to surf the web on.

Use protection! Don't go on the 'net without a personal firewall and an antivirus program on your machine - and keep them up~to~date!

Never open an attachment in your email - even if you know who sent it (unless you are explicitly awaiting it). If you don't know what it is don't click it.

And please....for the love of God.....use some common sense where you visit on the 'net.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Cryptolocker Strikes deep
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »
Thanks for the warning, 'Soup.

Computers; a curse and a blessing.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Cryptolocker Strikes deep
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:13:36 AM »
Bloody interwebs!  Damn you AlGore, damn you to Hell!!!

Thanks for the heads up 'Soup.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.