Author Topic: Obama orders up new mileage standards for big rigs  (Read 894 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Obama orders up new mileage standards for big rigs
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
Linking increased fuel economy to the larger issue of economic growth, President Obama on Tuesday directed his administration to write new rules to improve mileage for the nation’s big-rig trucks.

The category is "Politics/Legislation/Elections".  The bullsht this guy is pushing is not Constitutional legislation nor is it political; it's ideological ....

The nation’s large trucks make up about 4 percent of vehicles on American roads but are responsible for about 20 percent of carbon emissions, the president said.

And they're responsible for moving 100% of what gets into stores all over the country.  Obongo's "rules" are not going to make that easier and they sure aren't going to make it safer.

It's ideological idiocy.

H/T Drudge

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Obama orders up new mileage standards for big rigs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »
When did we become a nation of people who allowed politicians to "write rules" rather than pass laws?

I swear, as much is it would end life as I know it, and jeopardize the future of my children, a large part of me pines for a final war to hash it all out once and for f***ing all.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »
One of the thoughts that preoccupies my mind -- and examples like this are exactly why -- is the question of what should be done to correct the flaws that allowed our system to degenerate to this level.

The executive branch is charged with enforcing the laws enacted by the legislative branch. To this end the executive is understood to require a certain amount of sensible latitude, as it would be literally impossible to codify every conceivable example of when and where the law applies or does not apply. Obviously we are far, far, far past the point that could be thought sensible. We are to the point where Congress has shirked its own authority (read: duty) and thereby denied the people their rightful control over the beast in DC. Now Congress will pass bills in the thousands of pages, giving the unelected bureaucracy broad and open-ended authority to promulgate regulations that carry the full force of law. How is that different from the kings of old simply marching out their trumpeters and announcing His Majesty's latest edict?

How do we fix this? Supposing we manage to reclaim our constitutional republic, what can be done to hinder a future bureaucracy?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »
Tomorrow's big rig.

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
The sad thing,  even if somehow Republicans get control of the White House and the Senate they won't lift a finger to undo these insane fuel requirements.   

Doesn't anyone remember how crappy the cars were the last time they outran the technology of the time?   Do we really want late 1970's and early 80's cars back?   That's when plenty of people started driving light trucks.   They hated that,  and will likely hate what people do to combat this nonsense.   

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:13:24 PM »
Yeah the late 70s, when muscle car marques were having 4 cylinder engines shoved into them. My sister had a late 70s Mercury Capri (i.e. a Mustang) with a 4 cylinder. It was not a bad looking car, but 0-60 was measured with a calendar. This was also the era of nationwide 55 mph speed limits.

The SCoaMF is Carter Mk. 2, with added malice. Carter I don't think had any malice toward America, but this one definitely does.  And of course the Republicans won't change any of it. The banning of incandescent light bulbs was a Republican measure.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 06:14:27 AM »
Another instance of a retard only capable of a Poli Sci degree thinking he can snap his fingers, and make big rigs get better gas mileage.  Note to retards only capable of riding the short bus to a School of Government.  There's only one way to lighten up a freight truck, and that's to reduce the amount of freight it carries.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 06:47:07 AM »
If you wish in one hand and crap in the other, what do you have more of?
That's what's going on here.

The company I worked for started converting some of their older trucks to natural gas.
It did seem to increase mileage but the conversion was over $30K for the one that worked, fuel stations were almost non existent.
They couldn't put it on their newer trucks because it voided the warranty
And, since it was gasoline company, they weren't allowed in the terminals to load.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 07:50:03 AM »
The answer is obvious.

WWOD

What Would Obama Do?

Obama would say "Laws?  Constitution?  WTF, fool?  You stupid or what?!  I make my own laws, bitch!".

Fukc 'em.  Just cause he says so?  Nah, fukc you, asshole!  You want this?  I dare you to make it happen, cause I ain't gonna do jack shyt you say?!

See?

And it will work...if it is tried.

Damned sheeple will no doubt just bend over and take it.

So what did this post just do for me?  Just piss me off more I guess...  (Not blaming anyone, 'jus sayin'...a common theme in the latter day 'merica, eh?)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 08:28:05 AM »
Charles Krauthammer really nailed Obama on this last night. Fried him. He also said that the one must now OK the pipeline.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 09:53:42 AM »
The answer is obvious.

WWOD

What Would Obama Do?

Obama would say "Laws?  Constitution?  WTF, fool?  You stupid or what?!  I make my own laws, bitch!".

Fukc 'em.  Just cause he says so?  Nah, fukc you, asshole!  You want this?  I dare you to make it happen, cause I ain't gonna do jack shyt you say?!

See?

So what did this post just do for me?  Just piss me off more I guess...  (Not blaming anyone, 'jus sayin'...a common theme in the latter day 'merica, eh?)
I know what you mean and sympathize. The SCoaMF knows next to nothing about everything but believes in doing this that technology will make it happen.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
The answer is obvious.

WWOD

What Would Obama Do?

See?

I know what you mean and sympathize. The SCoaMF knows next to nothing about everything but believes in doing this that technology will make it happen.

Master - Slave dynamic at work.  Dance, slave.  That is his attitude.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.