Author Topic: Does John Boehner still want to be House speaker?  (Read 700 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Does John Boehner still want to be House speaker?
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »
Chris Cillizza
The Fix

Does John Boehner still want to be House speaker?

By Chris Cillizza, Published: February 16

John A. Boehner is the speaker of the House. But after enduring (another) week in which the limits of his power within the Republican conference were on stark display, the operative question within GOP circles is how long he can — and wants to — hold that coveted perch.

Last week, Boehner (Ohio) allowed a “clean” debt-ceiling increase to come to the floor, despite knowing that the vast majority of Republicans would oppose it. The measure passed the House with the support of just 28 of the 232 Republicans. (That’s only 12 percent.)

A formal effort to replace Boehner is underway, launched by the Senate Conservatives Fund. The group is keeping an online whip list of where members stand on replacing Boehner and has plans to pressure conservative lawmakers to come out for or against him long before the November elections. Rep. Raúl R. Labrador (Idaho) has said that if Boehner tries to pass immigration reform, “it should cost him his speakership.”

And there are plenty of Boehner allies who wonder privately why he would want a job leading a conference that doesn’t want to be led — and who see signs that he is planning his exit strategy. “Several of John’s best friends are leaving Congress,” said one high-level Republican well-versed in House politics, noting that Sens. Saxby Chambliss (Ga.) and Tom Coburn (Okla.) and Reps. Tom Latham (Iowa) and Doc Hastings (Wash.) are retiring, while Rep. Mike Simpson (Idaho) faces a serious primary challenge. “Senior staff has already departed. He attacked conservative groups — rightly so. And he is looking for plenty of sunshine heading his way.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/does-john-boehner-still-want-to-be-house-speaker/2014/02/16/7946f4d8-9719-11e3-afce-3e7c922ef31e_story.html?hpid=z1
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Does John Boehner still want to be House speaker?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
Yeah, blah blah blah...I keep hearing these stories about dumping Boehner, what a load!  I'll beleive it when I see it, and even if it happened, would he be replaced by a like-minded crony progressive-lite jackwagon or not?  I bet yes.  So, whatever.  The Ruling Class and Rovian operators will never let a real conservative ascend to that level.  Never in a bazzillion years...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »
They'll just replace him with whatever other moron has the most number of years of bloat under his belt. As if "I've been here longer (feeding from the public trough) than anyone else" should qualify one for anything.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »
They'll just replace him with whatever other moron has the most number of years of bloat under his belt. As if "I've been here longer (feeding from the public trough) than anyone else" should qualify one for anything.

It's almost as though they all have the union mindset -- seniority is everything.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
He attacked conservative groups — rightly so.

Rightly so?  RIGHTLY SO?! 

<sputter>

::angry::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
John Boehner wants to land at a law firm that does lobbying, at a 7 figure salary.  As such he won't upset any Democrat garbage that also want to land in a law firm that does lobbying, at a 7 figure salary.

Rand Paul goes back to eye surgery after leaving office.  THAT is my grand theory on why establishment Republicans hate on the likes of Paul, more than Democrats.  As Poli Sci retards, they have no talents in the real world.  As such, lobbying is the highest position available.  They aren't going to antagonize their future co-workers and bosses. 

A world Rand Paul will never aspire to, as he has a gainful job, that contributes a worthwhile service to the world.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »
That was the Founders' vision, that we would have citizen-statesmen who took temporary leaves of absence from their livelihoods to represent their region in Washington. It was meant to be somewhat of a chore that no one would really want to do for long term.

Now we have a Congress full of people who literally spent their entire adult lives in some form of elected office. Even if any of them were well-meaning, which they aren't, how could they be useful to anyone? They know nothing about how anything works outside of public office.

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 07:26:05 AM »
John Boehner wants to land at a law firm that does lobbying, at a 7 figure salary.  As such he won't upset any Democrat garbage that also want to land in a law firm that does lobbying, at a 7 figure salary.

Rand Paul goes back to eye surgery after leaving office.  THAT is my grand theory on why establishment Republicans hate on the likes of Paul, more than Democrats.  As Poli Sci retards, they have no talents in the real world.  As such, lobbying is the highest position available.  They aren't going to antagonize their future co-workers and bosses. 

A world Rand Paul will never aspire to, as he has a gainful job, that contributes a worthwhile service to the world.

So really, there is no difference to the occupation of an establishment politician and that of a common street whore...they are not really changing professions as much as just relocating across the street.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »
That was the Founders' vision, that we would have citizen-statesmen who took temporary leaves of absence from their livelihoods to represent their region in Washington. It was meant to be somewhat of a chore that no one would really want to do for long term.

Now we have a Congress full of people who literally spent their entire adult lives in some form of elected office. Even if any of them were well-meaning, which they aren't, how could they be useful to anyone? They know nothing about how anything works outside of public office.

Yes, we ceased all original pretense of being a properly functioning Republic as the Founders envisioned long long ago.

Well, it will be to the survivors to determine if that noble model can be reinstituted.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 08:21:04 AM »

NAILED IT REAL GOOD, GLOCK!!!!!  ::bows::  ::thumbsup::
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 08:32:08 AM »
The real question - 'Do we want him'? My answer is h*ll no - but unfortunately 'we' don't get to choose -the winning party does - hope we elect some with b**ls this time - but again, what are the chances?
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »
Their opportunity to dump Boehner when it would have meant something both materially and politically was after the 2010 election. By giving the speakership and senate majority leader positions to Boehner and McConnell, the congressional GOP signaled that the tsunami of conservative support was incidental to them, and would not be rewarded with the policy or the fortitude we voted for.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
Everytime they had a chance they chickened out...

Buh bye!   ::mooning::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »
And then they re-elected him Speaker after the 2012 election. After an election where the other party was absolutely ripe for being picked off, and they failed to capitalize on that opportunity. So you reward your party's leadership with a renewed vote of confidence after that?

Reaffirming Boehner, Cantor, and that other dweeb was the point where it was clear that the party isn't about to reform itself. There were stories about the tactics leadership was using against its own membership, stuff I can't even remember now, but I'm sure we could search and find the threads here from January 2013 about it.

The latest accusation from Pat Caddell is absolutely right, too. The reason nothing has been done about the IRS blatantly targeting groups for ideological reasons is because the GOP is in on it!

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »
There were stories about the tactics leadership was using against its own membership, stuff I can't even remember now ....

Boehner & Co. were, for one, yanking committee chairmanships and appointments, iirc.

They know how to fight, alright, that was made clear at the time, but the Dems are not the opponent.  We are.