Author Topic: Daily Caller Nails Glenn Beck On Unattributed Use Of Other People's Work  (Read 4854 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Very long article. Most definitely vindicates Mark Levin in everything he has ever said about Beck.

A number of conservative activists and bloggers say they’re furious at media magnate Glenn Beck for what they call content theft. Over the past several years, Beck has relied on video, audio and written content from others to fill his radio and television shows, as well as his websites. Often he has credited his fellow conservatives for their work. Yet in many other instances say dozens of conservative journalists who spoke to The Daily Caller, he has not, often taking elaborate steps to cloak the origins of the material.

Publisher Andrew Breitbart has seen a number of his stories surface on various Beck media properties over the past few years. While he describes himself as “grateful for the many times he has credited me and my sites,” Breitbart says that “sometimes he also uses other peoples’ work without crediting them, making it appear as though it were his own. But especially since adopting ‘The Truth Has No Agenda’ slogan – and trying to deliberately re-position himself as the pious conscience and judge of many of those he took content from – he has exposed himself to his new motto’s unforgiving standard.”

From The Daily Caller
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
I like Beck.
Listen to him almost every day (replay) on the radio show
Occasionally TV.

If true, pretty serious charges, at least to his credibility.
Breitbart is definitely one of the good guys and I would trust what he says

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Overt?  Or does his format and the info he's trying to show get him caught up in the moment where he neglects to credit sources?  If infrequent and innocent that's one thing...but he should have more discipline and credit his sources fully.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
My 2 cents at Daily Caller:
How much time would it take to run a crawl at the program’s end crediting those hard working conservatives who work just as hard as you do “for the cause.” It’s not like it makes you look smaller that you used other writer’s work. You do look smaller when you do not give credit where credit is due.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/18/thedc-exclusive-conservatives-hit-beck-for-taking-content-without-attribution/#ixzz1JtpW1qdO
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
My 2 cents at Daily Caller:
How much time would it take to run a crawl at the program’s end crediting those hard working conservatives who work just as hard as you do “for the cause.” It’s not like it makes you look smaller that you used other writer’s work. You do look smaller when you do not give credit where credit is due.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/18/thedc-exclusive-conservatives-hit-beck-for-taking-content-without-attribution/#ixzz1JtpW1qdO

Exactly.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
That's it...Beck is a heel. ::doh:: ::slapfight::

Pass the salt and ketchup.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
For me, the money quote in this article was this one:

In an interview with TheDC, Roger L. Simon, CEO of Pajamas Media, suggested that Beck has committed the journalistic equivalent of a notorious crime. “It is not a question of just doing it right the majority of the time. It is a question of doing it right always,” Simon said. “Doris Kearns Goodwin is forever a fraud in my estimation because she has been caught plagiarizing once. If you rob a bank once, you still robbed a bank.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
The response

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2011/04/18/why-are-some-bloggers-accusing-glenn-of-using-taking-content-without-attribution/

I am Editor-in-Chief of The Blaze today in large part because I was a blogger who did stories that Glenn Beck featured on his radio and TV shows.

Before joining the Beck team I always found, of all the shows and sites in the wide world of web news, that Glenn was the most generous in terms of saying thank you, of giving credit, and of making mention on air when possible.  He’s promoted (and even hired) an amazing number of bloggers and writers.

So it’s through that lens that I look at the claims in a new story posted by The Daily Caller that is a collection of accusations that Glenn gives insufficient credit to stories turned up by a variety of bloggers and websites.

I certainly understand the frustrations of any writer or blogger who feels their contributions are being slighted. It’s happened to me hundreds of times!

At The Blaze, we link and cite hundreds of news and blog sites each week.  It’s been a major part of Glenn’s push to do just that.

Later today I’ll have a much more detailed response to the charges and what may be motivating them (is this connected to our review of James O‘Keefe’s NPR video?).  Check back here in a few hours.

We are amused that Glenn is accused (in a factually-flawed way) of co-opting the phrase, “The Truth Has No Agenda” from his friend Mike Opelka.  Mike is indeed a writer for The Blaze (as the article notes), but Glenn has worked collaboratively on projects with Mike since the 1980s — indeed Glenn was the best man in Mike’s wedding.  More on that later, too!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Hey, great response. I see they are really taking it seriously. That should make everyone feel better.

I certainly understand the frustrations of any writer or blogger who feels their contributions are being slighted. It’s happened to me hundreds of times!

So really, it's no big deal because, hey, it's happened to the Editor-In-Chief hundreds of times.

Personally, if it had happened to me "hundreds of times" I would be damned good and sure that I wasn't doing it to anyone else. But it's all grins and giggles at The Blaze and The Glenn Beck Show so everyone who has had their work literally stolen just needs to chill out and get into the spirit of the thing. It's all about Beck, you know.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:15:35 PM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Maybe we should all start copying the material at The Blaze and pretend that it is our own original work. I wonder how long that would last before we got a friendly visit from Beck's attorneys?

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
I ain't defending it, Trap
Just stumbled across the response and thought it was a little weak, too

Getting ready to listen to the replay of today's radio show.
Heard he took an hour on this

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
(is this connected to our review of James O‘Keefe’s NPR video?)
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes

i heard him say this during his show and i didn't know what he meant
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers

TheBlaze.com called into question the veracity of James O'Keefe's expose of Planned Parenthood because he creatively edited the video to make it appear that the subjects were saying things they didn't say.

The blaze was factually correct. But in my opinion, they took their "the truth has no agenda" policy too far. What O'Keefe did offered no material contextual difference to the story. All the blaze did was to undermine the credibility of the O'Keefe hit. Of course the blaze would say that O'Keefe undermined it himself when he chose to creatively edit.

Point is, I think it is very possible that this piece questioning Glenn Beck's propriety in crediting sources is retribution for that action by theblaze. I'm not saying it is, just that it's possible.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Holy crap. Who knows where the truth falls.....But some blogger called him a thief, so lets throw him under the bus. I believe I'll wait to read more of the story or see if Beck is sued...if he is "stealng" this much info, surely someone will sue him.

Pass the mustard.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
I still haven't figured out the point of theblaze...............

::confused::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.

TheBlaze.com called into question the veracity of James O'Keefe's expose of Planned Parenthood because he creatively edited the video to make it appear that the subjects were saying things they didn't say.

The blaze was factually correct. But in my opinion, they took their "the truth has no agenda" policy too far. What O'Keefe did offered no material contextual difference to the story. All the blaze did was to undermine the credibility of the O'Keefe hit. Of course the blaze would say that O'Keefe undermined it himself when he chose to creatively edit.

Point is, I think it is very possible that this piece questioning Glenn Beck's propriety in crediting sources is retribution for that action by theblaze. I'm not saying it is, just that it's possible.

Our side does not need this infighting, gotcha, SH!T, if that's what's going on.

I'm not saying not to call someone out on wrongdoing, but fer cryin' out loud.....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Miltrainer

Our side does not need this infighting, gotcha, SH!T, if that's what's going on.

I'm not saying not to call someone out on wrongdoing, but fer cryin' out loud.....

That about sums it up for me too!
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero

I agree--

if Beck thinks piling on O'Keefe gets him credibility he's wrong

If the story about Beck is to get back at him, well, that's what happens when you call out on other people they look at you

And another thing why is Beck letting the lefties define what's credible video?  We all know they selectively edit...
If he's got a beef with O'Keefe and his video let him air it without sounding like he's letting the lefties define the debate

I still remember that Dateline video where they blew up the car to "illustrate" the dangers of the car.  I thought for sure when that piece of news came out the show would be cancelled. No such luck. 

I like O'Keefe and if he makes some mistakes, well, that's what regular people do in the course of defining what's worth fighting for.  We've let the MSM media define for us what's acceptable--if someone reveals their imperfections they are roasted.  Michelle Malkin threw O'Keefe under the bus the next day after his arrest in Lousianna.  Our hope is the citizen journalists as Breitbart calls them.  Those people will be imperfect, untried in the arena but their efforts are no less worthwhile.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders

I call it the "Bill O'Reilly Effect"  ::stirpot::