Author Topic: Mysterious polio-like illness affects kids in California  (Read 1066 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Mysterious polio-like illness affects kids in California
« on: February 23, 2014, 10:17:53 PM »
Mysterious polio-like illness affects kids in California

Elizabeth Weise, USATODAY 4 p.m. EST February 23, 2014

Doctors believe they've identified as many as 25 California children suffering from a mysterious, polio-like virus capable of paralyzing limbs.

A mysterious polio-like syndrome has affected as many as 25 California children, leaving them with paralyzed limbs and little hope of recovery.

"What's we're seeing now is bad. The best-case scenario is complete loss of one limb, the worst is all four limbs, with respiratory insufficiency, as well. It's like the old polio," said Keith Van Haren, a pediatric neurologist at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital in Palo Alto, Calif.

The first known case appeared in 2012. Sofia Jarvis in Berkeley began to experience wheezing and difficulty breathing. The 2-year-old spent days in the intensive care unit at Children's Hospital Oakland. Doctors thought she had asthma.

On a follow-up visit, her mother Jessica Tomei, 37, realized something else was wrong.

"As we were leaving the doctor's office, I noticed that she went to grab something with her left arm and she stopped, midway," Tomei said.

Eventually Sofia was brought to Van Haren's clinic with "a unique set of symptoms." She was treated with steroids and intravenous immunoglobulin therapy, used to reduce the severity of infections by giving the body antibodies to protect against bacteria and viruses. "None of it helped," said Van Haren, a neurology professor at the Stanford University School of Medicine.

"He told us right away that the prognosis was really poor and that she's not going to get better," Tomei said.

The diagnosis proved correct. Today, at age 4, Sofia's left arm is paralyzed and she has some weakness in her left leg as well as slight breathing issues.

Still, parents shouldn't panic. "This is really very rare," Van Haren said. "But we are asking any families who notice a sudden onset of weakness to see their doctors immediately. Their doctors should contact the California Department of Public Health."

California is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta to see if there are cases outside California. So far none have been reported.

Overall Sofia's family is grateful. "She's still with us, she's still running around, she's going to preschool," her mother said.

The case galvanized Van Haren and other neurologists, who worried a new disease had appeared. When they began to go through recent medical files, they found two more cases, both in the San Francisco Bay area.

"We don't have a final case count, but it's probably in the neighborhood of 25 cases, all in California," said Van Haren. The median age of those stricken is 12.

"The California Department of Public Health has asked health care providers to report any polio-like cases they might identify and send specimens so that we can better assess the situation," said Carol Glaser, chief of the encephalitis and special investigation section of the California Department of Public Health in Sacramento.

The children don't have polio, but their symptoms look much like the disease that terrified generations of parents beginning in the 1890s.

Patients lose the ability to move their arms or legs, which "just dangle, like empty balloons," Van Haren said. Because the children can't move their limbs, the muscles atrophy and the limb shrivels.

Polio is a highly infectious disease caused by the polio virus. It invades the nervous system and in one in 200 cases causes irreversible paralysis, according to the World Health Organization. It was not until the introduction of the Salk vaccine in 1954 that any protection against it was available.

Testing confirmed that the children in California "definitely do not have polio," Van Haren said.

This is not good...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/23/polio-like-illness-california/5703827/?AID=10709313&PID=6146922&SID=fujogd6h5me
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Mysterious polio-like illness affects kids in California
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:04:43 AM »
It's probably caused by all those evil vaccinations that Jenny McCarthy has been warning everyone about.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:11:19 AM »
Scary stuff... Prayers for the affected children
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:09:33 AM »
Will we ever learn the truth of the cause?  CDC can investigate, but what will they disseminate? 

Scary.

::praying::  for kids.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »
While I feel for the families involved, I can't help but wonder "Why California?"
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »
While I feel for the families involved, I can't help but wonder "Why California?"

The Government tests new weaponized diseases where they can be most easily tracked.  California is a police state, so...

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »

Me too. ONLY in California?

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
Probably another cultural gift from the Turd World.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 06:36:06 AM »

Kinda getting harder to tell the difference anymore...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:06:56 PM »

Kinda getting harder to tell the difference anymore...

Stuff like this will become more common,  hate to say it.   You put open borders combined with Obamacare equals new weird diseases that nobody will do anything about.    Gateway states like California will get hit first and hardest,  but unfortunately it will expand to the flyover states.   

I think even people like us will be surprised how fast healthcare declines because of bad government policy.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
I think even people like us will be surprised how fast healthcare declines because of bad government policy.

Not me. I'm surprised it's made it this long.