Author Topic: Pentagon inquiry clears McChrystal of wrongdoing  (Read 2987 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Pentagon inquiry clears McChrystal of wrongdoing
« on: April 18, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110418/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_mcchrystal_probe

WASHINGTON – A Pentagon inquiry into a Rolling Stone magazine profile of Gen. Stanley McChrystal that led to his dismissal as the top US commander in Afghanistan has cleared him of wrongdoing.

The probe's results released Monday also called into question the accuracy of the magazine's report last June, which quoted anonymously people around McChrystal making disparaging remarks about members of President Barack Obama's national security team, including Vice President Joe Biden.

At the time he dismissed McChrystal, Obama said the general had fallen short of "the standard that should be set by a commanding general." The Defense Department inspector general's report, however, concluded that available evidence did not support the conclusion that McChrystal had violated any applicable legal or ethics standard.
<snip>
Rolling Stone issued a statement saying it stands behind its story, which it called "accurate in every detail."

<snip>

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Miltrainer

Re: Pentagon inquiry clears McChrystal of wrongdoing
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:39:03 PM »
I really don't know if the Rolling stone article is true or not. If it is true, it would be hard to verify what was or wasn't true. The generals staff could all just deny what was said and it is hard to prove unless someone cooberated the authors story. My view is that many did say these things about the President and the VP.......Because they are true. ::evil::
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »
Lemme put it this way. If the men and women who wear the uniform of the United States military do not viscerally hate the man they call Commander in Chief, and if they do not snicker and mock him behind his back, I would be most surprised, and most disappointed. Maybe there are things about protocol that I don't understand. But I think I understand human nature pretty well.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:52:13 AM »
What pisses me off is that they apparently couldn't keep their pie-holes shut while that little bastard was around !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:10:04 AM »
What little bastard?  We don't even know who these anonymous people are who say they heard McChrystal say whatever the hell he was supposed to say.  What pisses me off is if these aanonymous cowards are military personnel, wtf are they doing ratting out their superior for comments made in private?  And do we even know if what they said the General said is even accurate?  The prospect of service personnel spying on each other and reporting back to political masters sends a fricken chill down my spine.  I think the whole chain of command is diseased from the top down.  Maybe at the middle and lower ranks for front line troops it isn't as effed up, but good God wtf is going on in our military today?!  And then in classic rug-sweeping style, the Pentagon issues a report that basically says "we want this story to go away".  Yeah, I don't doubt it.  Frankly I'd have more respect for McChrystal if he told Barry to screw himself publically instead of privately if that's how he felt and I have no respect for other service members sneaking around peoples backs and leaking private conversation and/or making sh*t up!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:19:15 AM »
What little bastard? 

The little bastard who wrote the Rolling Stone article and was a supposed witness to the alleged remarks made by McChrystal's staffers .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 07:25:17 AM »
What little bastard? 

The little bastard who wrote the Rolling Stone article and was a supposed witness to the alleged remarks made by McChrystal's staffers .

Ahh, so we are signing the same tune...just a bit off key!   ;)

Unless one or more of the "others" present say something to dispute the article...which could be difficult since the last thing the Pentagon wants is anymore talk of this...I'm sure the brass already issued orders quashing all discussion on this issue.  Maybe when someone separates out, we may finally learn the truth...maybe...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:12:37 AM »

I think the whole chain of command is diseased from the top down.

Then the deathwish ROEs from Petraeus and now him ready to be confirmed to the sainthood.
Really amiss.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
First the man's character is assassinated and now he did nothing wrong.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 05:25:36 AM »
Maybe when someone separates out, we may finally learn the truth...maybe...

I think we can count on it !