Author Topic: Can't wait to see if this hits the libiot trend-setters and infomercial crowd  (Read 12920 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Can't wait to see if this hits the libiot trend-setters and infomercial crowd
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
I imagine real hunger can motivate you to do all sorts of things you never thought you could do.  But bugs, yech.  I'd have to figure out a way of taking them in capsules or something.  Remember that scene from the Temple of Doom where they're eating all manner of nasty stuff?  Still makes my skin crawl.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Can't wait to see if this hits the libiot trend-setters and infomercial crowd
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »
I heard snake isn't much different than eel, and eel, done right, is good.

Tsk, spelling fixed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:12:44 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 06:35:35 PM »
I went through one of those phases where I tried all sorts of "exotic" stuff. Rattlesnake, Aardvark,
Tiger, and all kinda bugs. I was amused at the "It tastes like chicken" reactions. It seemed like everything did, especially the snakes.

I do remember grasshoppers - they tasted like the skin from KFC chicken (original style!).

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
I do remember grasshoppers - they tasted like the skin from KFC chicken (original style!).

Well.....it is a secret recipe.  Maybe you just figured it out?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »
Two of my kids tried "Duck Beak" while we were in China. It was literally a cross-section of a duck's top and bottom bill, cut from front to back, with the cheek meat attached. We saw fetal pigs hanging in grocer windows.

People in this world really will eat anything edible. I naturally recoil in disgust at some of the things people eat - such as Obama, and his doggie-platter. But I think in the end, food habits is one of those things that really is just cultural, and our disgust at what others eat is just because the drastic gulf between cultures is so obvious. The fact that we are personally invested in the most intimate way (it goes into our body) in what we like to eat makes the differences more profound than other cultural differences.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 06:32:51 AM »
I might have to go grasshopper before I do other things...like -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

(I can still hear the street vendors after all these years!)   ::exitstageleft::

It made Cracked's #1...

http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_the-6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

See, I guess it can be worse...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.