Author Topic: Paralympics  (Read 1194 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Paralympics
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
Anyone else watching?

It's on cable NBC. The IOC now requires the Olympic host city to host the Paralympics following the Olympics. So it's in Sochi. (In 1980 Russian was asked to host the Paralympics and they said no because they had no handicapped people.) The Russian have 40 athletes participating this time.

It's amazing to watch these athletes.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Paralympics
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:24:52 AM »
(In 1980 Russian was asked to host the Paralympics and they said no because they had no handicapped people.)

::bashing::

Sounds interesting, but I'm not in charge of the remote.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »
Anyone else watching?

It's on cable NBC. The IOC now requires the Olympic host city to host the Paralympics following the Olympics. So it's in Sochi. (In 1980 Russian was asked to host the Paralympics and they said no because they had no handicapped people.) The Russian have 40 athletes participating this time.

It's amazing to watch these athletes.

Yeah, right...the Mujahadeen crippled many Russians, they just didn't want to have to parade them all before the world let alone their own people!

I'm impressed with how hard working and competetive these folks are, and I wish them all well and hope each performs as best they are able...I'm just a little Sochi'd out and the Rooskie meddling in Ukraine is amping that up even a bit more...don't mean to diss these fine athletes by not watching, it's just the way it is with me right now...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
My daughter and I watched the sled hockey last night. I'm not a hockey fan but I could watch these guys. Unfortunately, NBCSN only showed about 20 minutes!

Also watched some of the women's events.  More than one had a story of being adopted from an orphanage in Russia or former Soviet block country (left with no hope until adopted as you can imagine).

Watching Ted Ligety ski down the hill at a 17 degree angle is pretty amazing but these athletes are something to see as they ski the giant slalom.

I'm finding these events more captivating than the Olympics.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."