Author Topic: One of the funnier articles you will read this week  (Read 1056 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
One of the funnier articles you will read this week
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »
Politico reporter gets fired for writing racist snark about Romney during the campaign and then discovers that the economy isn't really on fire the way that his former friends at MSNBC have been claiming. Can't get a decent job. Ends up living in a guest room, on food stamps and then...the ultimate shame: has to work retail for $10/hr. and discovers that work is hard.

I'm not going to excerpt a word of it. It's too good.

LINK
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: One of the funnier articles you will read this week
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:21:14 AM »
What a tool.

I was hoping for a happy ending, the one I imagined, what a disappointment...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »
This sums up the entire article.

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »
Hey...that could be whats-his-retarded-faces kid!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »
Alternate headline : "Pampered Black Liberal bitch slapped by reality"

"I soon realized the only way I’d have a shot in retail is if I dumbed down my job application, met directly with the person in charge before applying, and used my journalism story-telling skills to sell myself, stretching the truth past the breaking point."

Got that - stretching the truth to breaking point is a "Journalism skill"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »
Big football player beating up the wife. 

50 years old and having literally nothing to your name, despite a lifetime of high wage employment.

About the only thing junior didn't whine about was having to wear too much flair on his company shirt.   ::hysterical::

Embrace the suck, little guy.  It's a suck you built for America.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:42:54 PM »
Hehe.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »
I don't think he learned a damn thing.   

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 08:05:45 PM »
Okay, now that you've read it, some of my favorite lines:

"I didn’t realize the stamina that would be necessary, the extra, unpaid duties that would be tacked on, or the required disregard for one’s own self-esteem."

"The first thing I noticed on my first day on the job is that in retail no one sits.

Ever.

It didn’t matter if it was at the beginning of my shift, if the store was empty, or if my knees, back, and feet ached from hours of standing."

"Working in retail takes more skill than just selling stuff. Besides the mindless tasks one expects—folding, stacking, sorting, fetching things for customers—I frequently had to tackle a series of housekeeping chores...Mop the floors in the bathroom, replace the toilet paper and scrub the toilets if necessary. Vacuum. Empty the garbage. Wipe down the glass front doors, every night, even if they don’t really need it. It was all part of the job, done after your shift has ended but without overtime pay."

"The garbage run came after I’d already pulled my six-hour shift on the sales floor, and done some of my usual closing-shift chores. At the same time, since the other employee on duty was a petite young woman, taking out the garbage was a solo operation. Forty-five minutes later, I’d finished, sweaty and slightly winded."

I would really like to hear Mike Rowe's take on this douchebag.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »

Karma's a btch.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 05:32:11 PM »
"It was all part of the job, done after your shift has ended but without overtime pay."

I call BS on that.  I worked retail jobs when I was younger, and we clocked out when we left, i.e. after we had finished closing.  No one ever told us to clock out and then countdown our registers and vacuum the floor.  You were paid based on your time card, no more and no less.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »
"It was all part of the job, done after your shift has ended but without overtime pay."

I call BS on that.  I worked retail jobs when I was younger, and we clocked out when we left, i.e. after we had finished closing.  No one ever told us to clock out and then countdown our registers and vacuum the floor.  You were paid based on your time card, no more and no less.

No, no. He is bitching about not getting time and a half...  you see someone told him be there at 9:00am and he bitches about having to be there at 8:50 - even if they tell him to clock in at 8:50 and get to work. So the same applies at night - he was told his shift is 1pm till close or whatever, and he bitches about getting an extra hour of work ( one hour closer to his 40 for the week - of course with Obamacare they are probably  keeping part timers under 30..) -

You see if he works 12 hours in one day, 12 hours the next and 12 hours 2 days later he want OVERTIME - as in Time and a Half, for the hours worked over what-ever ( presumably 8 hour)  shift they put him on - even though he only worked 36 hours that week.

I remember being grateful when my employers in high school let me creep ever closer to the magic 40. More work hours meant more money. I would have worked a full 50 ( without overtime) if they would have let me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:10:58 PM by Weisshaupt »