Author Topic: Great, Francis is a theif too.  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Great, Francis is a theif too.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
"And immediately there came to mind the thief we all have inside ourselves and while I arranged the flowers I took the cross and with just a bit of force I removed it," he said, showing with his hands how he pulled the cross off the rosary. "And in that moment I looked at him and I said `Give me half your mercy.'"

He begged for mercy, so that makes it alright. ::bashing::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »
Maybe it's simply a misunderstanding on my part, but this is one of the things I have trouble with regarding Catholic doctrine:

'This man forgave the sins of all the priests of Buenos Aires, but not a single flower ...?" Francis recalled.

That man forgave their sins?  My belief is that only God can forgive sins, through the atonement of Christ.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:40:23 PM »
Maybe it's simply a misunderstanding on my part, but this is one of the things I have trouble with regarding Catholic doctrine:

'This man forgave the sins of all the priests of Buenos Aires, but not a single flower ...?" Francis recalled.

That man forgave their sins?  My belief is that only God can forgive sins, through the atonement of Christ.
Agreed. But, perhaps they view this as an admin situation.....deputies and such  serve, but the authority resides in the Sheriff, just guessing because
 I am no authority on Catholic doctrines. I prefer direct obedience to scripture as authorized by the Holy Spirit.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:30:20 PM »
My understanding from having discussed this with Catholics is that the priest does not himself forgive sins, but acts as a conduit of God's forgiveness. I don't know that I buy that either, but I do also see the cathartic value in confessing one's sins to another.

It's all something I still have trouble with. All these denominations and branches of Christianity claim they're the only right one. It seemed ridiculous to me when I was younger but as I get older I start having more of those "don't gamble with your soul" thoughts and want to know which direction to go.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:52:30 PM »
My understanding from having discussed this with Catholics is that the priest does not himself forgive sins, but acts as a conduit of God's forgiveness. I don't know that I buy that either, but I do also see the cathartic value in confessing one's sins to another.

It's all something I still have trouble with. All these denominations and branches of Christianity claim they're the only right one. It seemed ridiculous to me when I was younger but as I get older I start having more of those "don't gamble with your soul" thoughts and want to know which direction to go.

I believe CHF is pointing the correct way; go straight to the source.  Deal with Him direct; everything you need is in the Bible.  We do need, however, others who walk the same path to kick our asses back onto it when we stray.

In my never to be humble, unsolicited opinion.  ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"