Author Topic: Daylight Saving Time  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Daylight Saving Time
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »
Why must we still engage in this lunacy? It's even worse now that they've decided to alter the schedule of time changes, to the point that Daylight Saving Time is clearly the dominant time. Kinda renders pointless the idea that the lesser time is in any way the "standard" time.

I've always hated this nonsense. I will be like a grizzly bear tomorrow morning because of this. The pointy headed chin pullers just need to pick a damn schedule and make it permanent and year round.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:11:36 PM »
I'm with you.

It's STUPID.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:31:46 AM »
Yes, I just love being plunged into darkness again for my drive into work...and perhaps by the end of April my own internal clock will have adjusted.

I believe this is all a conspiracy launched by night owls!

::pullhair::

Damn clockists!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »
The morning commute was especially brutal this AM. I had to deal with the seattlunatics - never fun. This morning there were 55,000 sleep-deprived morons on the road, in the rain, in my lane.

::rockets::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »
It's days like this that can challenge ones ability to identify true foes...libiots and sleep-deprived normals all have a blank look in the eyes, a slack face and an open mouth...

::hysterical::

And I resemble one!

::facepalm::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
OK, I'll be in the minority. I kinda like it. Living through Minnesota winters, when the sun begins to set at around 4:00PM, it is rather nice when suddenly, as evening daylight is on the upswing just before the spring thaw begins, our evenings are a little brighter, a little later. And I really love it on a clear mid-summer evening, when twilight fades into night at about 10:30.

Now that said, would I mind it if DST was year round? Probably not. But I do sort of look forward to the spring change as a sort of demarcation between the seasons. Then of course, I don't look forward to it in the fall, so it's kind of a wash.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »
I'm with IDP. I love DST and wish we had it all year long. I love that it doesn't get dark around 5 to 6 PM.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:57:32 AM »
I think I am more tired this morning than I was yesterday.

When I get tired I get irritable.

Well, more than normal, OK?! 

::taz::

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »
OK, I'll be in the minority. I kinda like it. Living through Minnesota winters, when the sun begins to set at around 4:00PM, it is rather nice when suddenly, as evening daylight is on the upswing just before the spring thaw begins, our evenings are a little brighter, a little later. And I really love it on a clear mid-summer evening, when twilight fades into night at about 10:30.

Now that said, would I mind it if DST was year round? Probably not. But I do sort of look forward to the spring change as a sort of demarcation between the seasons. Then of course, I don't look forward to it in the fall, so it's kind of a wash.
This is especially important to Farmers who try to co-exist with the business world and I would miss it. I admit to being wishy washy on this issue. I am not a morning person to start with. Sometimes I do not go to be until....um...what time is it now?
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 07:16:40 AM »
Farmers are almost all big corporate affairs now, thanks to corny capitalists and their kickbacks to progressives (Dems and Pubbies) who created the Federal behemouth and its billions of regulations and an IRS that helped drive family farms out of existence!

So, leave the clocks alone!

Besides, in the old days before DST, farmers worked dawn to dusk, so it doesn't really matter what an artificial construct like a timepiece says anyway!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 07:45:29 AM »
I like it, I like it now, but I don't want it year round.  I think they finally have it right.  Triggering it to keep the sunrise before 8am, in most of the country, at both ends.

I was there in the early 70's when they did try it year round.  As a little kid, walking to school in pitch dark, I realized it wasn't the brightest idea anyone ever had.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 03:23:54 PM »
I like it, I like it now, but I don't want it year round.  I think they finally have it right.  Triggering it to keep the sunrise before 8am, in most of the country, at both ends.

I was there in the early 70's when they did try it year round.  As a little kid, walking to school in pitch dark, I realized it wasn't the brightest idea anyone ever had.

Course it never occurs to big education to just,,,,,,,,,, start later in the day in the winter.................

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »

Course it never occurs to big education to just,,,,,,,,,, start later in the day in the winter.................

Can't.  Screaming parents .... late for work ......   I see the aggravation on display (on a local forum) when school is abruptly cancelled for a snow day, when there is an early release due to bad weather.  There is some justification there, imo.  Parents have jobs to report to at specific times, and a sympathetic response from a boss over adjusting hours is not always forthcoming.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »

Can't.  Screaming parents .... late for work ......   I see the aggravation on display (on a local forum) when school is abruptly cancelled for a snow day, when there is an early release due to bad weather.  There is some justification there, imo.  Parents have jobs to report to at specific times, and a sympathetic response from a boss over adjusting hours is not always forthcoming.

Boy did you say a mouthful - I work in the Family Ministries Building at our church here in Alabama.  We have nursery, pre-school and kindergarden here at school, plus other facilities.  This year we had two instances only a couple weeks apart -snow and ice.  During the first we had some parents that couldn't get to pick their youngins, so we had overnight 'guests' which also led to overnight teachers having to stay with the kids.  Had to also keep one from my area as security  - [guess who] for locking them in and providing safety [in case], and one in the kitchen for dinner, snacks and breakfast.  Luckily we do have cots for the kids 'nap times' so sleeping for them wasn't a problem.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday